German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know if anyone here does Dock Diving with their dogs?
I've been really interested in it for a few years now and would love to hear from people who actually participate in it. It's something I'd like to try atleast once.

·
Premium Member
11,141 Posts
There is a club starting here in Pittsburgh - and I have one dog who loves jumping in water and swiming (Csabre) so I am going to try to get her in it - for nothing else, just to get her a chance to exercise by swimming regularly!

She is the dog in the water on the front page of my website...that was some Bay off Lake Huron in Canada....she retrieved that stick so many times and climbed in and out over the rocks that she wore every nail down to bleeding - and never quit...so LOL we are looking to be the first GSD titled Dock Dog!

Lee

·
Registered
412 Posts
UKC is now offering Dock Jumping as an event, and the titles would show up in a UKC pedigree. Just another venue you might search for clubs, events, etc. I think the first official events will be starting this year.

Christine

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Have you visited the forum they have at: Dockdogs.com ?

While most of the folks have Labs and Chessies, they welcome ALL breeds. One of the top dogs is a female Belgian Terv.(Her name is "Pico".) Then there is "Country". He is the World Record holder in both events. He is a greyhound mix.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Chris!!!! and I just happened on this tonight...

Yes Navarre and I have competed quite a bit in both the National Dock Dog events and locally at our Ultimate Air Dog events. It is a LOT of fun and the dogs JUST love it. That said is it a HIGH excitment environment and you do have to be on the lookout as some people do not watch their dogs or dogs space very well so if you go try and go WAY ahead of time so you can have some practice time before the competition begins.

MY biggest piece of advice is to go slow..many people think since their dogs flies off the dock at the lake or their own pool they will d to the same at the events and this is almost never the case...the water is clear, the dock is 2 feet off the water, there are LOTS of people, barking dog, sometimes loud music and more.

What I recommend is first have your dog go up the ramp out of the pool into the water and throw their toy and let them see/feel it IS
water..do that a time or two and if they are confident etc. THEN head to the dock...the first toss or two do right from the edge of the dock, and throw the bumper/toy/ball CLOSE and let the dog just hop in and find their their way of the pool..once they are to this point you can start having them jump from farther back on the dock to gain speed and distance.

Navarre's best distance is 16-17 feet or so as he does not try and
CATCH the toy, he just charges down the dock full speed and dives in! LOL I finally bought him the EV (Extreme Vertical) bumper that is suspended to use this summer to teach him to try and catch the bumper to see if it will help him increase his distance. With his speed and power 20 feet is very reasonable for him *IF*
we can get more height trying to catch the bumper...but you know he does not know or care how far the other dogs jump and just loves to do it!!!

You can see a photo of Navarre finishing his Dock Dogs Junior Jumper title at http://www.zutreuenhanden.com, previous litters,
B litter photos and then his page!!

Pico and Country are just totally and completely amazing to watch and owned by the NICEST people..to see Country soar and Pico fly is just something very, very special......

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all...sigh dock diving is far from our minds here in MI right now with a low of 4 or lower tonight....

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
WOW!!! Agility, herding, Schutzhund, dock diving...does Navarre drive himself to the events too? That is one impressive dog!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely be sending you a message at one point or another. Just have to gather all of my questions.

I agree, Navarre is quite handsome and impressive

·
Registered
112 Posts
THANKS Butchsdad!!! LOL

Actually while he does not yet drive he does sometimes ride "shotgun" and we had to have him stop wearing sunglasses as he LOVES to play people...he will sit there like a person looking straight ahead until you are stopped at a light then he very slowly looks to the right and people look back and most often scream, point and more!! He then just looks ahead again wagging his tail...he just thinks it is a HOOT!! We worried we were going to cause accidents!!

He really is an amazing and wonderful dog, he LOVES all training, tracking, obedience, protection, herding, agility, dock diving and every week he is now also my demo dog for puppy kindergarten classes where he is totally fine loose with 10 puppies to show certain things from stays to how to play tug "politely" to showing competition heeling and more...

We also skijor in the winter for fun but have yet to get photos of THAT!!!!

Isn't this something wonderfully special about GSDs as they CAN do some many different things from therapy work, to S & R, to the show ring and so much more...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was so impressed with everything else that I forgot to mention that. He is a beautiful dog. But like a good woman, with so many other great qualities looks just sort of pale in significance in my opinion. I hope that came out right. I meant it as a compliment for women and the dog. I'm just going to be quiet now so I don't get in too much trouble.

·
Registered
134 Posts
They really are magnificent. Butch is actually my first GSD and he is only 14 months old, so I am just starting to scratch the surface of their real potential. So far, though, I just can't seem to find anything that they can't do. If I knew he wouldn't eat whatever we killed I might even take him hunting. I don't think I would have very much game in the freezer, though. I would just have a fat dog.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actually I was looking into things as there is one hunting organization that does not require the dogs to be "sporting" dogs..and I thought that would be so very cool...do worry a little bit about the lack of a "soft" mouth so even if the game was not 'eaten' what might returned to hand might be more than a little mangled!! Navarre loves "marking" games etc...with bumper etc....

·
Super Moderator
18,680 Posts
Maybe not mangled, but quite bruised and covered in spit.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
It IS possible to have a non "soft mouthed" breed work out as a hunting dog. My Aussie/Heeler mix can and WILL find and retrieve LIVE Quail and young Pheasants.(Adult pheasants he just catches but cannot retrieve as his mouth is too small. He only weighs 35lbs. So he just pins them to the ground until I can pick them up. Same with Ducks.) ) We used to raise game birds. Several times the men would leave the gate open and the birds would ecsape! Beings that I don't DO "bird dogs", "Wrangler" (the heeler") was elected to find and catch the birds. He never so much as injured one, let alone "mangle" it. This is the same dog that likes nothing more than to catch and kill small "furry" critters.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: mcavanWe also skijor in the winter for fun but have yet to get photos of THAT!!!!
Well you really have to you know! You may have noticed from this section that I'm quite active skijoring with Odin & Frigga. They enjoy it so much I'm already planning on getting a sulky for them for the warmer months.

BTW, I think I've seen you with Navarre dock diving on the Outdoor Channel here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sad to say we have never made it on TV for dock diving but we can always "dream"LOL! ...we really just skijor for fun on our dead end road or in the yard as I am just not a good enough skier anymore to think about competing or going out with others that are any good!! I will try and get some photos though so people can point and laugh at my expression while I am telling Navarre "easy, easy" "easy" all the time!!! My SO loved to have him follow the van and see how fast he can get Navarre to go but last time we tried it we got going WAY faster than I wanted to hit the ground at so we do not do THAT anymore!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts