German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gunner is really showing me that he loves the water and I would love to get him started in dock diving. Just wondering how you got started?

I can't seem to find any groups in my location - Lexington KY.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If they have any trainers in your area you can call them. Like a hot club or something like that.

oops Hot is a houston club... but its basically a local training club open to anyone. You can call or email them and they might could guide you.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Depends on your dog's technique and if you want to be competitive or not. If you don't care about technique or competition, you just have to get the dog to jump. Some dogs go off the platform into a clear pool their first try, other dogs never will, and most dogs are fine in lakes or rivers but need a few times to acclimate to the height of the platform and the transparency of the pool (though some dock diving competitions are setup into lakes or rivers so this wouldn't be an issue). If you want to be competitive you need to train the dog to launch up off the end of the platform and try to catch the object so this requires some attention to the jump technique and your tossing. Some dogs do this naturally and others not.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Check out these sites for events and clubs:

Ultimate Air Dogs - The Premier Dock Jumping Organization

Splash Dogs - Dock Jumping and Big Air Dogs

The World's Premier Canine Aquatics Competition - DockDogs Inc.

I just signed my dog up for two events coming up, and we'll see what happens. Not trying to compete, just have fun. He jumps in the lake, and swims like there is no tomorrow, so I figured he'd enjoy it. Look on google for training places in your area that may have a dock diving pool or even a regular pool. There is one here in Chicago that has a dock diving pool indoors to practice in, and I am going to be taking my guy there once to make sure he has no issues jumping into clear water.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Good luck! Swimming is the first step! ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on your dog's technique and if you want to be competitive or not. If you don't care about technique or competition, you just have to get the dog to jump. Some dogs go off the platform into a clear pool their first try, other dogs never will, and most dogs are fine in lakes or rivers but need a few times to acclimate to the height of the platform and the transparency of the pool (though some dock diving competitions are setup into lakes or rivers so this wouldn't be an issue). If you want to be competitive you need to train the dog to launch up off the end of the platform and try to catch the object so this requires some attention to the jump technique and your tossing. Some dogs do this naturally and others not.
Right now I only want to do this for fun. Maybe something more? Thank you for your input/knowledge :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out these sites for events and clubs:

Ultimate Air Dogs - The Premier Dock Jumping Organization

Splash Dogs - Dock Jumping and Big Air Dogs

The World's Premier Canine Aquatics Competition - DockDogs Inc.

I just signed my dog up for two events coming up, and we'll see what happens. Not trying to compete, just have fun. He jumps in the lake, and swims like there is no tomorrow, so I figured he'd enjoy it. Look on google for training places in your area that may have a dock diving pool or even a regular pool. There is one here in Chicago that has a dock diving pool indoors to practice in, and I am going to be taking my guy there once to make sure he has no issues jumping into clear water.
Thanks for the links!! Good luck and let me know how it goes!! In July at the Kentucky Horse Park, they are having a dock diving competition along with Breyer Fest . :) i cant wait to go :)

plus I've been watching the dog shows on Sunday mornings. I couldn't tell you the name but its on the tip of my tongue. Making me want to get Gunner involved.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I will be at Breyerfest! But I go for the horses. I will try to watch some of the dock diving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts