German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've been thinking about. All of my foster dogs have gone to low-cost spay/neuter clinics, and the ones that didn't get their shots at the shelter got their shots at low-cost clinics too. But my own dogs get all of their shots/neuters/etc done at our vet.

I really don't want to start another thread debating spay/neuter or vaccinations.

Have you ever used a low-cost clinic for your own pets? Would you? Why or why not?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have for both our dogs. Ty just got his last shots yesterday at a local clinic. I know he's healthy, as he was just examined 3 weeks ago, so why not save myself 50-some bucks? He also got micro-chipped yesterday for $20 :)

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Yes.
I get all rabies done at the Tractor Supply Rabies Clinics (only my "well-behaved" dogs).
All of my rescues get done at a local pro-rescue low cost clinic.
For my not-always-friendly dogs, I pay to go to my regular vet, because I never have temperament issues when their staff handles my dogs.

The local humane society offers dentals at low-cost, and I will likely take my poodle dog there to be done.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I would for shots. I have gotten cats from a local shelter that has a clinic, and I used them for spay/neuter for cats. I am having 2nd thoughts about getting Lakota spayed at the clinic. The people I got her from took thier dogs there and had no problem. The price was half of the price that my old vet gave me. About $200 compared to almost $400. I just started using a new vet and she said it would be about $300 so I think I will have her do Lakota's spay.
I would compare the prices, some vets are higher than others. Which is one of the reasons I am switching over to a new vet. So far this year she's seen 2 of my critters under emergency circumstances and I don't feel she beat me over the head with the bill.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm not sure. I think our regular vet has pretty reasonable pricing. My daughter had her Chi-mix neutered at a spay/neuter clinic, but I'm not sure I would go that route for a spay.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
No, I have always used a vet that I have an established relationship with. I only want to deal with people who know my animals, who know how I take care of them, and who have a good baseline knowledge of their health to make judgments upon. For me it's just peace of mind.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've used low-cost clinics THAT I TRUST before and if I found one today I'd probably use it. Until then I use my regular vet for everything.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Yes, we use them and love them and still have a great relationship with our vet. I don't know why people think that in the grand scheme of the lifetime of a dog, getting spayed or neutered once grants them more of a relationship than someone who uses an alternate avenue. That's like saying that someone who adopts a dog that's already altered doesn't know their vet very well because someone else altered the dog.

Many of us don't do annual vaccines anyways, so the dog doesn't see the vet for shots - I hardly see why the dog seeing a vet annual for a checkup and not receiving vaccinations means the vet knows you or your dog better. They don't have to give my dogs shots to know them.

There are several low cost avenues around here. Some I trust, some I wouldn't trust. It's about the individual clinic and moreso, the individual staff of that clinic. We save a TON of money on routine care so it can be better put towards the daily care (better diet, better/more toys, better overall medical care). Giving a dog a vaccination isn't rocket science, and altering them isn't either. Shelters do tons of dogs on a daily basis. I would personally argue that the average spay/neuter clinic has significantly more experience than the average standard vet. The spay/neuter clinic does how many dogs a day vs a regular clinic who might alter a couple dogs a week. Yes the clinic will do it faster, but the experience there is 10-fold vs a few a week.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'm not at all passing judgement upon people who use low cost clinics. Which is why I stated "For ME, it's just peace of mind." :) I want to walk into the vet office, greet the receptionist who knows my dog's name and won't approach her because she knows Rosa's shy. I want to bring Niko to the vet who tosses him bits of treats and makes clucking sounds when she gives an injection, to distract him from the momentary pain. I want a vet who knows I am a worrier and will still take my calls to answer my questions when I am afraid my dog is having a reaction to a shot. Paying the extra money to go to my regular vet office is worth it to ME.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I do use low cost clinics for routine treatments like vaccinations. But see a trusted vet for any other thing.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I'm not at all passing judgement upon people who use low cost clinics. Which is why I stated "For ME, it's just peace of mind." :) I want to walk into the vet office, greet the receptionist who knows my dog's name and won't approach her because she knows Rosa's shy. I want to bring Niko to the vet who tosses him bits of treats and makes clucking sounds when she gives an injection, to distract him from the momentary pain. I want a vet who knows I am a worrier and will still take my calls to answer my questions when I am afraid my dog is having a reaction to a shot. Paying the extra money to go to my regular vet office is worth it to ME.
The misconception and my point was that just because one doesn't get SHOTS and spay/neuter at their regular vet is that the regular vet doesn't know all of these things too. My vet knows us by name, they even know me by voice when I call on the phone. They know our dogs and their various history, and temperaments, etc. One doesn't need a vet to stick their dog with a needle or alter them to know them. I really don't understand why those who are against shot clinics think that those who use them have vets who never see the dogs, or don't know the client just as well. I know m vet better than probably 90% of the clients there, and they don't vaccinate or alter our dogs.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a vet nearby that I like...but would consider going to a clinic for routine things like shots. Any visits that require a physical exam or treatment for illness, I would definitely see someone I know and have confidence in.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
The misconception and my point was that just because one doesn't get SHOTS and spay/neuter at their regular vet is that the regular vet doesn't know all of these things too. My vet knows us by name, they even know me by voice when I call on the phone. They know our dogs and their various history, and temperaments, etc. One doesn't need a vet to stick their dog with a needle or alter them to know them. I really don't understand why those who are against shot clinics think that those who use them have vets who never see the dogs, or don't know the client just as well. I know m vet better than probably 90% of the clients there, and they don't vaccinate or alter our dogs.
So true! I spent several huge $$$ in 2009 at my regular vet.... and I don't do vaccinations there. They know me and my dogs quite well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, for vaccinations because it's way cheaper. All of our animals were spayed/neutered before we got them because they were rescue/shelter animals & one was a breeder reject.
I see our vet for any medical issues/behavioral problems, but since no expertise is required to do routine vax, why pay the $40 office fee on top of the cost of shots?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I don't think we have a clinic in this area that's closer than our vet. (same town) If there was one I would probably stay with our vet for a few reasons.

The main one is, our vet really likes shepherds. I've had to take Harley to the emergency vet a few times and the difference in how he was handled and treated was pretty extreme.

Other than that, I trust her. I like that she'll answer a million and one questions so I never feel rushed. She always manages to say something nice about the dogs even if they're being idiots in the exam room...that's always important too. ;)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Not sure if this counts....My GSD was a shelter dog and spayed by them prior to my bringing her home. She was 2 years old at the time. I would equate this with a low cost clinic and expect that the vet had tons of speuter experience. A few year after I adopted my dog, she started bleeding. Totally unexpected, because she had been spayed. My vet suspected an incomplete spay. After running numerous tests, which were inconclusive, an exploratory was performed. Parts of both ovaries and part of the uterus were still in my dog. She had to be re-spayed. Aside from the $1000.00 this cost me, it was horrible seeing my dog go through this surgery - which would have been unnecessary if done correctly the first time.

I know this is just one bad experience, but it was bad enough for me. In the future, if I adopt from a shelter or rescue, I would ask to be allowed to use my own vet and pay for the spay. Soooo worth it.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
No, I have never used one.

With my old vet back where my parents live, he was on the high end BUT he knew his stuff, would go with my "try holistic things first please" method and was extremely good with the animals.

The one I have now, I am not a fan of and the cost is just as high. Wish I had another option but unfortantely I don't because I can't travel to the next one realistically.

·
Registered
604 Posts
For vaccines, yes. For spay, no.
But they still get yearly exams at our vet. And it seems like they are due for shots right around the time for their exams, so I sometimes just end up doing everything at the vet. More expensive, but I'm just lazy like that.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
no, and it's not that I am against them at all, my vet happens to be a good friend of mine, as well as giving me discounts , plus I don't give my dogs vac's after their initial puppy shots except for rabies , so really have no need to get vacs anywhere else.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts