German Shepherds Forum banner

401 - 420 of 453 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Info:

Canine Vaccination Protocol By Dr. Jean Dodds DVM (Vaccination Researcher)

9 - 10 Weeks Old: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy DPV, now renamed Nobivac DPV, when Merck and Intervet merged)

14 Weeks Old: Same as above

16 - 18 Weeks Old (optional): Same as above (optional)

20 weeks or older, if allowable by law: Rabies

1 Year Old: Distemper + Parvovirus,MLV (optional = titer)

1+ Years Old: Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster )

Dr. Ronald Schultz, a veterinary immunologist at the forefront of vaccine research and chair of the University of Wisconsin’s Department of Pathobiological Sciences, outlines the DOI for the following vaccines: Minimum Duration of Immunity for Canine Vaccines:

Distemper- 7 years by challenge/15 years by serology
Parvovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology
Adenovirus – 7 years by challenge/ 9 years by serology
Canine rabies – 3 years by challenge/ 7 years by serology

Our 2 GSD's had ONLY 1 Parvo shot and 1 Distemper shot when they were pups. They are now 5 & 7 years old, are titered every year, and their numbers are high enough to cover 5 dogs! Proves Dr. Schultz's research!;)
Also, if your dog has any type of health problems, like skin issues, EPI or more serious conditions, they can qualify for a "Rabies Exemption" in your state, if allowable there.

Moms:)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I could not find distemper and parvo only online. My vet does 5 way or 7 way. I got 4 way online although my breeder had only said the distemper/parvo. Anyone know where to get just those two??

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Got the typical puppy shots, and the rabies as needed by our county (3 years).

I don't buy into the re-vaccination gimmick that some vets have pushed. It didn't take Schultz's research to convince me; after all, we all don't need re-vaccinations every year, do we?

I left one vet in the dust who started scheduling me for yearly vaccinations (she couldn't provide an adequate reason as to why this was needed) and wanted to neuter my boy at 6 months. The fancy Hill's Science Diet display should've been the giveaway...

·
Registered
50 Posts
since 2004 my dogs vaccine protocol after initial vacs year 1 & 2 parainfluenza & leptospirosis, year 3 those plus parvo & a few weeks later rabies this continues throughout life so year 4 & 5 would be same as year 1 & 2 etc

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yes. My 1 year old and 6 year old gets yesrly. I started doing titers for my 15 year old shih tzu since she turned 10. Shes too old to bog down with shots all the time now

·
Registered
778 Posts
I vaccinated my last GSD per vet recommendations and she lived to a ripe old 16yrs.

As I prepare for a new pup I keep hearing about the no vaccination trend (or reduced vaccinations).

Where can I find reliable scientific research on this subject?

On the human side of vaccines there seems to be a lot of....well...let's just call them people with differing opinions so as to not open that big can of worms.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I follow Dr. dodds vaccination protocol, I don't believe in not vaccinating but I do believe in OVER vaccinating. I do all the puppy shots plus one year but I do not do annual vaccs, only titer and I do the 3 year rabies because it's required by law. But research is showing that they do not need annual vaccs or rabies every 3 years... I also heard there's some research being done to hopefully get the laws changed to I think rabies ever 7 years? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Where can I find reliable scientific research on this subject?
Where is the *scientific* research that it is needed every year?

Science is in the blood work called titers...if there are antibodies present, then there is NO need to vaccinate.

Dr. Shultz is an immunologist researcher and has done studies - it is b/c of his work that AVMA HAS CHANGED THE VACCINE PROTOCAL.

If your vet is still practicing yearly vaccines, then a new vet should be sourced out as their scrupulous practices are driven by the almighty $$$ and I personally would have doubts about anything they prescribe.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Where is the *scientific* research that it is needed every year?

Science is in the blood work called titers...if there are antibodies present, then there is NO need to vaccinate.

Dr. Shultz is an immunologist researcher and has done studies - it is b/c of his work that AVMA HAS CHANGED THE VACCINE PROTOCAL.

If your vet is still practicing yearly vaccines, then a new vet should be sourced out as their scrupulous practices are driven by the almighty $$$ and I personally would have doubts about anything they prescribe.
THIS!
Ans also @ CarrieSue

These sites have a WEALTH of knowledge on vaccinations:Top Natural Holistic Dog Health Care Book: Multiple Award Winner
Shirley’s Wellness Café and inoculations: Pet vaccination warning. Severe adverse reaction to immunization

Inoculations Part 1 to 4 feature’s Dr. Karen Becker and Dr. Schultz.
Inoculations Part I
Inoculations Part 2
Inoculations Part 3
Inoculations Part 4

Vets On Vaccines: Vets On Vaccines | Dogs Naturally Magazine

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Momto2GSD's, I love that video series!!!

Vaccinating is very important, but it's about doing the shots at the right time, and you don't need to booster every year. :)

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Michael & Blackshep: SOOoooo happy to hear you are considering the alternative scheduling! :D

Canine Vaccination Protocol By Dr. Jean Dodds DVM (Vaccination Researcher)
NOTE the OPTIONAL SHOTS
9 - 10 Weeks Old: Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Intervet Progard Puppy DPV, now renamed Nobivac DPV, when Merck and Intervet merged)
14 Weeks Old: Same as above
16 - 18 Weeks Old (optional): Same as above (optional)
20 weeks or older, if allowable by law: Rabies
1 Year Old: Distemper + Parvovirus,MLV (is optional = titer instead)
1+ Years Old: Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster if given )
Dr. Jean Dodds: Not recommended: Corona, Lymes, Leptospirosis, Boretella (only protects 2 of the possible 8 causes of kennel cough), Giardia. http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

Moms:)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Dr Schultz says that Parvo and distemper have lifelong immunity though (the AVMA has published a journal saying something like 95% and 97% of dogs have immunity for 7+ years, which was the end of the challenge study, not that after 7 years they lose immunity), would you booster them anyway?

He also mentioned that in rare cases the dog does not respond to certain vaccines, but that if it didn't respond the first time, it's unlikely to respond to later vaccinations (for the same virus).

So my question is, are titers necessary? I guess what I'm concerned with is that they don't measure cell mediated immunity, so a negative titer doesn't mean your dog has no immunity. What do you do if your dog's titer is negative, if it doesn't necessarily mean your dog isn't protected?

This is where I'm confused.

Also, when and how often do you titer? I heard there are different titer tests, some more effective than others?

If your dog shows a positive titer test, is it really necessary to booster them again, even if at a later date, the titer is negative? Would they not have the cell mediated immunity? All a negative titer means is the body isn't actively fighting the virus, because it has told itself that the threat has been neutralized, not that it can't respond if challenged again.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I did all the puppy shots, and rabies.

I then chose to also do bordetella and Lyme because we frequent the dog park and my area is loaded with ticks and many have been found to have Lyme disease. My vet at school tries to shove everything down your throat. My vet at home is calm, explains everything, and tells you if anything is necessary. Very honest, on several occasions talked me out of things that I *thought* were necessary and actually weren't. Made me happy to know not everyone is out for my money !

·
Registered
243 Posts
But, while we are sort of on the topic, does everyone do a monthly worm preventative ?

For example, I've been putting Revolution on Reagan every month since he was eight weeks. It's a worm/flea preventative. I recall seeing a thread where someone people said it was unnecessary medicine and only do it if they were diagnosed.

Not to hijack the thread but sort of similar ?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
But, while we are sort of on the topic, does everyone do a monthly worm preventative ?

For example, I've been putting Revolution on Reagan every month since he was eight weeks. It's a worm/flea preventative. I recall seeing a thread where someone people said it was unnecessary medicine and only do it if they were diagnosed.

Not to hijack the thread but sort of similar ?

I'm not sure about this one. I am in an area that gets fleas, but heartworm would be a lot more rare since I'm not in a warm climate.

With my horses, I do regular fecal checks and treat as required, but in the fall we deworm for tapes regardless, since they don't show on the fecal tests. But otherwise I have one horse who's fecal's have been clean for 3 years. 2 others are moderately susceptible, and the 4th is more susceptible, so she tends to need deworming more often.

For some reason, this does not transfer over to my dog. lol I tend to give the medication every other month though, and not until the summer when there's warm enough temps that the heartworm is able to start its lifecycle.

401 - 420 of 453 Posts