German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my dog of 16 years in February her name was pepper. We just got a new pup who is just about perfect and my husband think it's ok to name her pepper after the dog I loved so much.

For me I think it is wrong go use the same name twice. Pepper pasted on i will never forget her and will always love her but it's time to move on sort of. I feel this pup is a fresh start and needs a name of her own.

To name a dog after a dog you loved kind of makes sense I guess because people do it with relatives. For some reason I just don't like the idea of Same names for dogs.

What do you think

Any good girl names you can think of let me know too.

Thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
i agree. i don't think there's anything wrong per se...but it would feel "wrong" too. each dog is different. i feel like if you named her pepper you'd expect the dog to be just like your old dog and she most definately will not be. new dog new name!

you could keep a theme and name the dog another "spice"
salt
paprika
peppermint
parsely
POPPY (i like this one the best!)
Papaya

here's my favorite place to buy herbs so you can get a look at some words? http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/bulkherb.html

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would go with the same theme in her honor... some sort of spice? Paprika? Basil? Something similar enough to have it relate to your last, but no, I wouldn't use the same name twice, personally.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
My aunt and uncle had two black cockers in succession named Ebony.
Then they had two dobermans in succession named Sport.

Our dog Daisy died 3 years ago and we still call Abby Daisy by accident.

Reusing a name is entirely up to you (of course) but I wouldn't because if you started
talking about Pepper you might have to clarify which one. And right now, for you,
there is only one Pepper.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Alice
Asia
Jasmine
Calypso
Calisto
Diamond
Haylen
Prixus
Portia
Serephina
Sia
Leah
Layla
Lola
Paris
Anastasia
Ariel
Belle
Bella
Isis
Autumn
April
Jade
Fallyn
Helena
Maci
Riley
Raina
Raven
Selene
Willa
Willow
Winnie
Secret
Spirit
Harlow
Halo
Mia
Armani
Bree

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My parents are on their third 'Holly'. I think it's crazy, but if it makes them happy, so be it.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
I think that if you think it is not a good idea, than it probably isn't.

My folks did not like the name Arwen. Three years later, Arwen was so well-beloved that her name was her. If that makes any sense at all. Somewhere down the line, I may have another Arwen. Not any time soon, it is still too raw. She has been gone around a year and a half now.

Also in conversation, we often say, remember Princess or Jazzy, or Pip, or Pip used to do that... My Mom will tell us about a dog they had growing up, King. If there were three Kings, it would be kind of confusing. (Wait, I think there were three kings -- oh, different venue.) But then they had a dog called, Bullmick Mooseface The Third. There was no First or Second, I think there has to be a story behind that name.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I don't like the idea personally. It just doesn't seem right. Each dog has their own personality so (IMO) they should have their own name, not be named the same as a previous dog. Although I have accidentally called Bianca by my previous dog's name before, I wouldn't give two dogs the same name. If I wanted to "honor" the other dog I'd make their name part of my next dog's registered name, or give them that as a "middle" name or something.

Although I actually have had two pets with the same name but it's a different sort of situation so it doesn't bother me in this case... Years ago there was a stray Shar-Pei I found and fostered for a while, who I named Harley (as in Harley Davidson). A few years ago I had a litter of rescued kittens and I named one of them Harlequin, but we often call her Harle or Harley as a nickname. I don't think of it as the same as one pet passing and then giving the next pet the same name, though... For one thing because the two names are totally different in origin.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
When I worked at the vet clinic, we had a client who named all his dogs "Intrepid". When I met him, he had Intrepid IV and Intrepid V, at the same time. This seemed really strange to me. How do the dogs know which one you're talking to? He said that they knew. Whatever!

I wouldn't give two dogs the same name. Maybe only if they were separated by 20 years or so.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Although I actually have had two pets with the same name but it's a different sort of situation so it doesn't bother me in this case... Years ago there was a stray Shar-Pei I found and fostered for a while, who I named Harley (as in Harley Davidson).
My sister has two daughters named Amy. One was hers naturally and one she adopted years later. She (this is true) lived on Amy Road.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys this is like the nicest dog forum I have found. My daughter is 3 and she is calling her Maggie. I am not really sure where she got that. I like it because I am a Simpson fan. But it's still not decided.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I wouldn't be opposed to using the same name twice personally. My parents used to raise Norwegian Elkhounds and they had a female named Greta and my mom named the gsd she has now Greta. She loved her first Greta so much that she wanted to name the new dog after her.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I would not do it, but I could also see circumstances where it would feel more right.

As an aside to what Paddy said, I had a classmate years ago who went by Lisa. Turned out that was really her middle name. She and her 6 sisters where all named Mary and went by their middle name.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had a dog named Reilly years ago. It was one of my favorite names for a dog. I had picked that name out for him years prior. When I was about to get Saber, I actually thought about naming her Riley (new spelling, same pronunciation) because I love the name, but it felt weird, like I'd be trying to replace him, so I didn't use it. I think it's fine though if you want to do it. My son is named after his cousin who passed on, and my other son is named after my father, so I think naming-after is fine.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
My parents are on their third 'Holly'. I think it's crazy, but if it makes them happy, so be it.
My husband grew up with ESS's and every last one of them was named Susie. Go figure. I have never re-used a name though.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
To name a dog after a dog you loved kind of makes sense I guess because people do it with relatives. For some reason I just don't like the idea of Same names for dogs.
Yeah, but when you do it with children, they're usually named after a relative who is still living, or who passed away a long time ago. You don't usually name a child after someone you're still grieving.

Plus, if you name your son Jim after your grandfather Jim, you probably didn't call your grandfather "Jim." You probably called him Grandpa or Papa or something. If you name your daughter Sally after Aunt Sally you probably didn't call her Sally-- you caller her Auntie or Aunt Sally. A son named after his father usually ends up Junior, or Tommy instead of Tom, or Danny for Dan.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts