German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would love to, but don't know any, please share, and try to add how to pronounce the words!! Thanks!!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I use some German some English some Husky and some "slang" for lack of a better word.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: AllieGHow do you train them to understand German.I would like to use the protection type ones then the "bad guy" doesn't know what I'm saying.
The same way to teach them to understand English. Remember, puppies aren't born knowing english commands. The only reason they learn english is becuse we TEACH them in english.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: AllieGHow do you train them to understand German.I would like to use the protection type ones then the "bad guy" doesn't know what I'm saying.
Allie, Athena already knows english commands so you need to reverse engineer her. If she's good with hand signals, it's an easy switch.

When you're practicing at home, use the hand signals and the german commands. Do one new command in very session and reinforce it in the next one.

It's nice to have a german speaking dog because she'll listen to you and not the idiot from down the block who thinks it's funny to say 'sic em'

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
My girl Neke knew commands in English, French and German.

It's just a matter of teaching them to do a behavior and associating a word to it - ANY word.

Heck, you could teach your dog that "ONE" meant sit, "TWO" meant down and so on.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
I think we talked about it on here that you can teach your dog different behaviors attached to the names of various fruits, then at an obedience trial you can make everyone hungry for a fruit salad.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I originally trained my female in German, my male came to me trained in Dutch, and they both know English and hand signals now. Foreign languages just don't roll off the tongue well for me.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Are these Klingon head ridges?? That explains a whole heck of a LOT!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Aloha, I think the most important thing is to use words that the public would not know. So just anyone cannot get your dog to come or heel. The dog will associate the word sound in any language with an action, even if it does not make sense to us humans. frank

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I need to start practicing and memorizing the commands.I suck at any other language besides english then I sometimes suck at that too.I'll have to print out the sheet on the website and memorize it to teach her.German will be the family commands so she won't listen to anyone else if the kids have her out and about.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
AllieG,
Did you listen to the commands too?

No matter what language you use, you can still teach the dog not to listen to anyone except for the person on the other end of the leash. It is all in the training.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
The German ones I use are:

"Platz" - down
"Fuss" - tight formal heel
"Packen!" - bite
"Pass auf!" - watch/bark/alert
"Halt" - for me this means a stand-stay out of movement

Dutch one:

"Hup" - informal (Rally) heel

Everything else is English (sit, come, speak, pound/paw/shake, roll over, crawl, over, paws up, up, off, load, wait, stay, kennel, watch, let's go, OK, back, get around, touch, nose, target, here, front, finish, swing, stand, GET THE RABBIT, spin...)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am using German with Quen and moving the others over to German also. They seem to pick it up very rapidly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts