• never

Votes: 61 91.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I was wondering how many people leave their dog tied up outside.
We never tied Molly up outside once! While we are at work she is in the house and when we are home she stays with us 100% of the time.

my answer is no

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie gets tied up on a trolley run for an hour in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. I go in the house, but I am forever checking on him the whole time he is out there. He loves it. He runs around, makes his log creations, barks at the wild things in the woods, and sometimes he naps. He is in the house or out with me the rest of the day.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
our dog is an inside, lay on the sofa,
lay on his bed our bed dog. i tied him
outside once. we went to a party and there
was 6 dogs there running around having fun.
when we first arrived one of the dogs growled
and barked at our dog. in order to avoid a conflict
i leashed Loki and stayed outside with him. when i came
inside to get something to eat i tied him outside. then
i sat on a deck over looking him. when i came from inside
with my food the dog that growled at Loki was licking his face.
i went downstairs and untied him. all of the dogs ran around having fun.
there was a cat there. the cat was walking around. some of the
dogs including mine gave him an occassional lick. the cat wasn't
bothered by the dogs and the dogs weren't bothered by the cat.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I have never tied out my dogs, we have a fenced in acre for them. I don't know how they'd act if they were ever tied out without me with them.
I have had Karlo tethered during training and left him while others with their dogs walked by. He wasn't crazy, just sat there looking towards the area I walked away. If I just left him alone with no one around, I think he would have gotten anxious.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Our yard is completely fenced and my dogs are too big to worry about them getting through anything (weak spot in gate) but they also aren't escape artists, however my mother's beagle basset cross, he could get out of anything, so he was on a long chain while outside in a fenced yard. Never for long, long enough to get floors washed or something.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I've never tied a dog out and never will. My dogs are brought inside the house if one of us is not there to supervise. Safer, and if they bark at passers by it won't be heard as well by our neighbors.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
fenced yard here to, when I rented years and years ago, I had a trolly for one of my gsd's, right out the front door, never left unattended,,:)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
no fence, have a 120 ft trolly line, they go out for a few minutes, never left unattended, when we excerise outside, they do not leave the yard,

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Also have a fenced in yard, but I attempted to tie my dog out once and it was a disaster. We were camping and my fiance wanted me to try golfing for the first time since he's pretty into golfing. There was no way we could keep Chrono in the tent because he would destroy it and break out in a second, and we couldn't bring him to the golf course, so we tied him out. After about an hour of being chewed by mosquitoes and not even being able to hit the ball 80% of the time, I quit halfway and we went back to the campsite. Even though he was on a 20 foot tie out, Chrono was right against the tree we tied him to because the tie out had become completely wrapped all around his leg. I have no idea how people are able to leave their dogs tied out all day, we were only gone for an hour and he couldn't even move when we got back he got tangled up so badly.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I don't have a fenced yard either I also don't live in town, and I NEVER tie my dogs out and leave them unattended.

I DO teach them to tie, just in case it were ever necessary for any reason. For instance I tie my puppies up outside the fence when I am feeding the horses, that way they learn to STAY OUT of the pastures. But I can see them and they can see me.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
When I didn't have a fenced yard I used to put Chama on a tie-out. I only did this when I was home and she was always visible. I also made sure it was an area where she couldn't get tangled. I also had to use tie-outs for both Chama and Basu at the cottage.

Massie didn't need a tie-out but Chama had ridiculously high prey drive and would be in the next town before even she knew it if a bunny or squirrel passed by. :rolleyes: Rafi doesn't need a tie-out at the cottage and he prefers to be with me anyway (if I'm inside).

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
When camping because I'm required to do so. Never leave her tied up unattend.

Also have tied her up on my parents country home when we go inside for a coffee. Dog is not allowed in the house. I don't think she would wander but I don't want to test her so we just tie her to a 20 foot line.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have never tied my dogs outside. They've always been fenced in. I don't trust leaving them outside if we leave. I once caught 2 kids throwing rocks at my dogs through the fence while I was cutting grass, so I don't trust people. When they are inside, I know they are safe and not into trouble.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We have a fenced yard and Dax is never out unsupervised for more than 5 minutes (for a morning potty while I get his breakfast ready). When we are away he is in the house.

I do have a stake-out, but only use it when camping or when I want to do some work in the front yard and want Dax to be out there with me. Never unsupervised.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only exception is if I am camping. But even then not very often because my dog is not prone to wondering off. most of the time he is glued to my heels.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I don't "leave" my dogs tied or tethered anywhere, but if we're working in the front yard, which isn't fenced, we'll bring them out into the front yard with us and tie them on a long tether in the front yard while we're working in the flower beds or washing the car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No. I would never tie Brody. Actually, that was one of the conditions set by our breeder but even if it wasn't, I would never do it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i have never tied my dog outside. We rent an apt. but it sits on 2 acres, its a "quadraplex". i have never attempted to tie her outside or put her on a run. she loves the outside and all but my princess is no outside dog lol. if she was left outside she would most likely whine and bark or sit on the doorstep trying to get back in. she's more of the couch potato. She does her business outside and enjoys her walks and outside play but she lets us know when she's ready to go back inside.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts