German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your advice - Just got this text from my dog walker. Dog ran for her toy and hit her head on the coffee table, just above her eye. I'm thinking it looks like a scrape (ie not something you can stitch), walker is going back in an hour to check on her, was worried she needed stitches. I'm thinking she's ok, but if you guys think she needs a vet, I can have my walker take her when she goes back. I'll be home in about 2-1/2 hours BTW

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I don't think it needs stitches. Doesn't look like a gash. More like a skinned knee or elbow might look. Just make sure to keep it clean and it should heal just fine. Rubbing a teeny tiny bit of Neosporin into it wouldn't hurt but make sure you keep it out of her eye. That's why I say a teeny tiny bit. Better to get home and see for yourself though. Poor baby had to hit that table hard!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's what she gets for running in the house! lol

Yeah I'm thinking it's just a scrape too. Poor walker was freaked out. She put a wee bit of Vetricyn on it, hopefully puppy-dearest will leave it alone until I get home.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I don't think it needs stitches. Doesn't look like a gash. More like a skinned knee or elbow might look. Just make sure to keep it clean and it should heal just fine. Rubbing a teeny tiny bit of Neosporin into it wouldn't hurt but make sure you keep it out of her eye. That's why I say a teeny tiny bit. Better to get home and see for yourself though. Poor baby had to hit that table hard!
I agree.

Keep it dry and clean, it doesn't look too deep but due to the location I'd be careful to avoid infection

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Well that's what she gets for running in the house! lol

Yeah I'm thinking it's just a scrape too. Poor walker was freaked out. She put a wee bit of Vetricyn on it, hopefully puppy-dearest will leave it alone until I get home.

silly puppies. The dog walker is probably thinking you're going to maim her when you see her for allowing your furbaby to get hurt on her watch lol.

yeah keep up the Vetricyn.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks guys. I'm always afraid I'm making the wrong decision.

Yes, I'm obsessed with Vetricyn, like the father on My Big Fat Greek Wedding and his Windex. lol

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
What they will do to get to a toy. I remember one day my daughter threw the ball for Dex who ran straight into the concrete wall head first...ouch. If he ever has any brain issues I would think it would be from that day. Now I know why they have such hard skulls. He's always banging himself up. I hope he makes it through the puppy stage.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
What they will do to get to a toy. I remember one day my daughter threw the ball for Dex who ran straight into the concrete wall head first...ouch. If he ever has any brain issues I would think it would be from that day. Now I know why they have such hard skulls. He's always banging himself up. I hope he makes it through the puppy stage.

LMAO!!!! Dax and I were leaving the vet's office last week and he walked right into the glass door like it was cool. Knocked him on his furry little butt. I thought the girl behind the counter was going to hurt herself, she was laughing so hard. Dax was dazed for a couple seconds. I'm seriously amazed when they don't crack their heads wide open on something with how they seem to enjoy trying to knock themselves out. Like when they turn so fast they knock into the door frame.... and just keep going. GSDs.... hard headed trouble makers! lol

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm glad I'm not alone! (or am I?) Try telling a GSD they don't have to get their toy at mach 20, a brisk walk would be sufficient! lol

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Well I'm glad I'm not alone! (or am I?) Try telling a GSD they don't have to get their toy at mach 20, a brisk walk would be sufficient! lol
LOL! Delgado has two speeds, fast and MACH10! I'm surprised he *knock on wood* hasn't busted anything yet, he's a hooligan for sure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Nope not alone. Dax is either in slow mode only because he's in his crate or he's ranging from MACH 10- MACH 20. I haven't seen Dax sleep since the second day he was home. I'm actually wondering if he DOES sleep or if he just lays there in his crate, waiting.... Oh to have energy like that for HOURS the way he does; think of how much you could get done!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I remember one time my dad and Jenna, our previous shepherd, were playing in the backyard one night. I heard a yelp from Jenna so I poked my head outside the back door to ask my dad what happened. Turned out poor Jenna had ran into the fence chasing after her stick. She was scrapped up a little on her face, but she was still pretty.
I also just remembered Gypsy coming into my room, seeing me on my bed, gets into an excited stance, comes running towards me, jumps up and Bonk! Gypsy hits the side of my bed's mattress face first. I could not quit laughing and Gypsy just gave me the stinkeye for a minute before she went back to bekng her normal crazy, silly self.
I'm sure your girl is okay and she still very pretty even with the scrap.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
LMAO!!!! Dax and I were leaving the vet's office last week and he walked right into the glass door like it was cool. Knocked him on his furry little butt. I thought the girl behind the counter was going to hurt herself, she was laughing so hard. Dax was dazed for a couple seconds. I'm seriously amazed when they don't crack their heads wide open on something with how they seem to enjoy trying to knock themselves out. Like when they turn so fast they knock into the door frame.... and just keep going. GSDs.... hard headed trouble makers! lol
Glad to see you post this, Ranger walked into glass twice. I was behind DW as she walked ranger out of the vets office. She had him sit while she opened the first glass door, she stepped through and called him and he walked right into the glass panel on the side of the door, paused and looked a little confused and did the same thing on the second door, I lmao! All this right after bragging him up to the staff.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I have to say it looked pretty ouchy last night, but it's looking much better this morning now that it's drying out a bit.

It didn't stop her from diving under the coffee table again last night. What the heck??? She must be a slow learner. lol

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Glad to see you post this, Ranger walked into glass twice. I was behind DW as she walked ranger out of the vets office. She had him sit while she opened the first glass door, she stepped through and called him and he walked right into the glass panel on the side of the door, paused and looked a little confused and did the same thing on the second door, I lmao! All this right after bragging him up to the staff.
yup! Dax has charmed everyone at his vets office but walking into the glass.... oh yeah. I think he may have lost some charm points for that one!

Well I have to say it looked pretty ouchy last night, but it's looking much better this morning now that it's drying out a bit.

It didn't stop her from diving under the coffee table again last night. What the heck??? She must be a slow learner. lol

Thanks everyone!

not slow learning. It clearly didn't hurt her enough to make her rethink coffee table diving is all! lol

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, two of her siblings are in training to be police K9's, so I guess it will take more than a little coffee table to stop her. lol

doggiedad, she was ok. Just a scrape, thankfully! Looked worse in the picture. I'll try to take another picture tonight if I remember, it looked much better today

1 - 18 of 18 Posts