German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So he was the fluffiest out of his litter when i got him at 7 weeks old. Now hes about 10 weeks or so, possibly 11 now. Anyhow, hes always super hot and panting and constantly drinking water and i know its because of his fur so i just want to prepare for the future and what i will need to do to manage it.

Do you think he will stay pretty fluffy or do you think as he ages he'll grow into his fur?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Yes, he’s a longcoat.
I have one of each... contrary to what one would think, my LC fairs much better in the heat than my stock coat. Their coats are insulating and help protect them from both heat and cold.
As far as what to prepare yourself for - possibly extra grooming but that will be determined by what his adult coat ends up being. For some reason my boy is incredibly easy... only downside over the years is peeing on the back of his front legs and when he’s gotten diarrhea, well, it can get messy back there.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
GET YOUR PUP"S HEART CHECKED OUT!!

It MAY be more than just his fluffy coat! Congenital heart defects in German shepherds are not uncommon, and can result in sudden death.

·
Registered
118 Posts
His tongue is pretty red, as well as his ears. Could be indicative of an infection or other malady. If you didn't run him hard prior to the photo, I would be in the vet's office first thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, he was not uncomfortable, he was lying on the bathroom floor while i was using the bathroom,i called his name and he looked up so i could take the photo. I am an 18 year old girl, who absolutely loves animals, the filters are to add to my IG, please dont assume things beforehand. that actually quite offended me, i understand it was not your intentions but for someone who is fighting for animal rights i feel hurt by what youve inferred.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
The red tongue and ears may also be the camera. I had an HTC phone that darkened any shade of red/pink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the first picture his ears are pretty red. Could he have been over-exercised before you took the picture?

Not sure why my replies arent going up but ill have to say it again, its just the filter over the photo, hes a healthy happy puppy as per told by the vet. his ears and tongue are a shade of light pink without the filter. thats why his fur looks more vibrant in the second photo, its a different filter.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
also, he was not uncomfortable, he was lying on the bathroom floor while i was using the bathroom,i called his name and he looked up so i could take the photo. I am an 18 year old girl, who absolutely loves animals, the filters are to add to my IG, please dont assume things beforehand. that actually quite offended me, i understand it was not your intentions but for someone who is fighting for animal rights i feel hurt by what youve inferred.
We go by what we see. No need for long toes.

·
Registered
757 Posts
No, its just the filter on the photo. thats why the two photos are different shades. hes healthy as can be. heres the unfiltered photo. im not trying to be accused of horrible things over here. hes a happy puppy and attached at my side.
Nobody is accusing you of horrible things. They were worried he may have something going on. That doesn't make you a bad owner. But some symptoms of very serious problems don't seem like symptoms which is why people were worried. Congenital heart defects can happen and you can have a seemingly healthy puppy otherwise which is why they don't get noticed.

Reactions: Sabis mom
1 - 16 of 16 Posts