German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I am new to this forum. Meet Diesel! He is nine weeks old and loves to chew up everything. haha.. I posted this picture on Facebook last night and everyone laughed at his ears. lol.. Don't pay no mind to his "sh*t breath" tag on his collar. It just suited him right now. :halogsd: I know they have big ears and he is young, but his are huge and his head is so small! My parents bought his brother and her dog is huge and isn't holding his ears up and for some reason Diesel held his ears him since we got him. My mom's dog is twice the size of Diesel, too.

I have another question if you guys don't mind answering. He is chewing up everything and attacking my three year old son. He has scratches all over him. He just sits there and cries as Diesel is jumping on him growling. He doesn't wag his tail and for some reason acts like he doesn't like my son. He chewed a hole in my son's wall that is four foot tall and four foot long! That was the fourth hole he is chewed in our walls. He has chewed up my phone charger, lights to my grapevine tree, tons of my son's toys, the remote, and everything. I went to PetSmart and spent $150 just on toys and got him a Kong, which he doesn't care much for. He loves his bones, so he has about six of them, and he ate two of them in two days and they are huge.

So my questions.. Do you think his ears are huge and will he be one of those German Shepherds with huge ears when he grows up? Why would he be aggressive towards my son and attack him for no reason? How in the world am I going to break him from chewing holes in my wall. I won't have a place to live if he keeps this stuff up! lol. Sorry these sounds like stupid questions, but I am going crazy here! :eek: LOL. Thank you guys so much!!

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
crate him when you can't watch him. he needs training
and correcting regarding your son.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The ears are awesome!!! how is the cable reception?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, cable reception is pretty good here! I just seen a picture on a German Shepherd Facebook page with big ears and it said that on it. lol

doggiedad- Every time I put him in his crate, he will bark really loud for as long as he is in there. I put food and water in there for him and toys, too. He is getting a really loud bark. Just two minutes ago, he knocked over a floor lamp that is about six foot tall and started barking at it like he is trying to protect us like the lamp did something. I guess I am going to have to keep him in his crate when he is bad and let him bark it out. My little boy has scratches all up and down his body. He just sits in the floor and plays with his cars and Diesel walks over there and attacks him. I guess crating him is the only thing I can do. I tried spraying him in the face with a water bottle when he does that(I know it is mean, but not to him).. he loves it!

I am going to be truthful here. I knew a puppy would be hard, but I never thought they would be this destructive and chewing up holes in the wall. Maybe a tiny one, but one that is four 4x4 feet. That is just crazy! :help: Thanks for the advice. :)

·
Registered
9,806 Posts
Your puppy's ears are not huge.
He needs to be leashed immediately and not let off leash.
If you need to have your hands free, you need to find a leash that attaches to your waist so you can tether him to you. Under no circumstances should be at he be allowed to attack your three-year-old, even if he thinks he is playing.

He needs a crate and an expen, where he can be safely placed when you can't supervise.
He was not being bad when he knocked over the lamp. He is an animal and doesn't know how to behave in the house. It is your job to teach him.

Keep him away from your small child. It's not fair to the little one to be jumped by rambunctious GSD puppy.
The puppy needs lots and lots of exercise. A tired puppy is a good puppy. The reason he is behaving the way he is is because he wants to play.
He is bored and has excess energy that is not being expended. If you do not provide interesting, stimulating things for him to do, both mentally and physically, he will find distractive outlets for his energy, such as that huge hole in the drywall. Where were you when he was making that huge hole?

Good luck. I can't imagine having a three-year-old child and a GSD puppy at the same time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
he definitely needs to be crated whenever you can't directly supervise him. The thing is you can't open that door to let him out unless he is QUIET. Every time you open the door when he's kicking up a fuss you are making the problem worse.

he's a baby....at 9 weeks old he isn't thinking "I am going to attack that kid!"

as to the ears.....yeah they're pretty big! But they are up already, which is pretty amazing considering their size! so he must have nice strong ears. even if they go down a bit when he's teething they'll go back up.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I agree with the expan, its a life saver for us! he first barked and jumped, but now he loves it, it's his space.

he prefers it way over his crate and has toys and food in there =)

·
Registered
61 Posts
My GSD was getting a little mouthy until we took a trainer's advice and got him Deer Antlers to chew on. It really took care of her mouthy behaviors as she now has something to use to manipulate her gums that also tastes good. It also has great calcium and natural HGH, so I figured it would benefit her as a growing pup.

at the pet stores, they are expensive.... but you can order them from amazon.com for a great price (just use a reputable seller).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts