German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a family dog and a schutzhund competitor.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I have high drive dogs. They make great family pets. Three sitting around me right now

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Personally, I don't think you would need a high drive dog.

I was talking to my breeder and outlined everything I want in a dog when the time comes for me to get a pup. I'll be getting a Czech (possibly some Slovak) line dog.

Told her I wanted a dog that could do flyball, agility, had a good off switch when necessary, but had the ability to do SchH if I wanted to pursue it but didn't HAVE to do it or I'd go nuts. For that, I think a dog on the lower/medium drive scale would be plenty.

Everyone wants a high drive dog (or says they do), but I personally don't think you would need one with high drive to succeed in SchH. Too much drive will give you a dog that you won't be able to handle, lead to frustration, and you'll have more dog than you know what to do with.

ETA: It's impossible to get a feel for what kind of dog you really want without getting out there and seeing them for yourself. It's easy to create an image of what they are in your mind by reading online, but that may or may not be what they really are.
I thought I may want a malinois. They seemed like they'd be a good breed for me on paper. Then I saw some in person and how they really are. Nope. Those dogs are NUTS.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Personally, I don't think you would need a high drive dog.

I was talking to my breeder and outlined everything I want in a dog when the time comes for me to get a pup. I'll be getting a Czech (possibly some Slovak) line dog.

Told her I wanted a dog that could do flyball, agility, had a good off switch when necessary, but had the ability to do SchH if I wanted to pursue it but didn't HAVE to do it or I'd go nuts. For that, I think a dog on the lower/medium drive scale would be plenty.

Everyone wants a high drive dog (or says they do), but I personally don't think you would need one with high drive to succeed in SchH. Too much drive will give you a dog that you won't be able to handle, lead to frustration, and you'll have more dog than you know what to do with.

ETA: It's impossible to get a feel for what kind of dog you really want without getting out there and seeing them for yourself. It's easy to create an image of what they are in your mind by reading online, but that may or may not be what they really are.
I thought I may want a malinois. They seemed like they'd be a good breed for me on paper. Then I saw some in person and how they really are. Nope. Those dogs are NUTS.
You're talking about high drive & low threshold. You need high drive or you've little way to motivate the dog

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
High drive and high energy are different things. It took me a while to understand this, because "drive" isn't a term that is commonly used (or, for that matter, used to mean the same thing) in my usual training circles, but now that I do begin to grasp the distinction, a lot of things have become clearer to me.

I wouldn't want a competition dog -- for any sport, not just Schutzhund -- that didn't have much drive. You can motivate a low-drive dog to earn titles (I've done it), but it's not nearly as much fun, and your performance probably won't be as strong.

On the other hand, if I didn't have plans to seriously compete with my next dog, I'd probably look for a lower-drive animal. There's definitely a difference in how much attention they demand.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Drive - YouTube

My three... All three have very high prey drive. The male has much higher threshold. The two that go after the ball are mother/daughter. They are both higher "energy" as well. If the prey stimulation were higher, the male would be just as engaged...

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
High drive is different than excessive/high energy. A lot of people seem to get the two confused.

If you want a schutzhund prospect, go with a breeder actively participating in the sport.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was also thinking of a middle of the road dog, would this work?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
High drive is different than excessive/high energy. A lot of people seem to get the two confused.

If you want a schutzhund prospect, go with a breeder actively participating in the sport.
Agreed.

I also think it's about balance. GSD's were meant to be balanced dogs. I don't want an extreme in any area...I want a balanced, well-rounded, sound nerved, dog....that fits the GSD standards....yes, they have "higher drive" than a goldendoodle...but I don't want an out-of-balanced (high rather than middle of the road) dog. I would question GSD breeders that are breeding "HIGH DRIVE, dogs, not meant for unexperienced families...etc." For my next SchH dog I will be going to a breeder I have seen work their dogs, that strives for balance balance balance and a sound interpretation of the standard....and that has proven their breedings through offspring in sports, working (LE, SAR, etc)....I know it sounds like high standards, but this forum and SchH has made me know exactly what I don't want in a dog.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Since you want to do Schutzhund, go find a club where you can observe. You'll get a feel for the drives and what level you want.

You already have a GSD so why not start training her in obedience and tracking? You don't always have to do all 3 phases.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I might work with her some while I think about it. :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Okay, shame on me for not looking into OP's posts, I didn't know you already had a dog, and were considering breeding her?? Are you working her at all? Titling her? Are you trying to buy a stud?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been working her and we are working towards Schh1, and no. I'm not trying to buy a stud.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've been working her and we are working towards Schh1, and no. I'm not trying to buy a stud.
Have you gone for the BH yet?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, why? And don't pester me about breeding, I decided not to.

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
Okay, I might work with her some while I think about it. :)
So are you working her or not? Your posts are conflicting.

Have you gone for the BH yet?
No, why? And don't pester me about breeding, I decided not to.
Because you can't work towards your SchH1 until you've completed the BH.

It has nothing to do with breeding.

If you are working towards your SchH1 then you must be working with a club so you are already around the high drive dogs.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know, I've just barely started to work on schh1

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And planning to get a bh

·
Registered
32,417 Posts
That's great! What club are you training with?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts