German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
His ears seem to be more at the side of his head and they’re huge and thick. I wonder if they will go up? Both his parents had their ears up, am I just being paranoid?

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
I think so.
He’s in the flying nun stage 😄

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
Give him Beef marrow Bone regularly to chew, you will start seeing difference in few days.
I would not. Way too fatty. Another member is having horrible problems because of marrow bones.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Give him Beef marrow Bone regularly to chew, you will start seeing difference in few days.
Actually no you will not! Absolutely nothing you can possibly do will make his ears go up any sooner than they're supposed to!

Giving him things to chew on does help, as does providing him with good nutrition. But these dogs are teething until 6 or so months of age, so the calcium they need to strengthen their ear cartilage is being used up in bone and teeth formation. Some dogs have erect ears early on, and some don't, but that's usually caused by genetics!

Just enjoy your puppy and the ear dance content with the knowledge that GSD are prick-eared dogs. I'm guessing and don't have data to cite except personal experience going back 50 yrs, but IME 99% of GSD I've ever met have prick ears.

Of all the things, like training and relationship and bonding with your puppy, ears have never been for me a concern, nor have I ever had one that isn't prick-eared! So relax and enjoy your puppy OP!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all so so much for the reassurance! I love him so much! His one ear is up now! He’s so adorable. Enjoying the ear stages now and feeling less paranoid!

·
Registered
162 Posts
They will definitely come up....my 18 week old fellow has a wonky ear and it didn't start to stand until last week. Beautiful pup you got! I tried to put an attachment but the computer like gsd ears is being wonky!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kai has both ears up permanently now around 17 and a half weeks, they don’t go down anymore. I did put in breathe right strips for one day and they went up the next day, could be just a coincidence though! He has radar dish ears!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts