German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to other countries, do you think Americans spoil their dogs more? I think we do,but I also think it varies depending on the person. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with indulging your pets,as long as it doesn't keep them from being an animal still,if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I think we do. Sometimes I feel guilty about how much I spend on my dogs! There are so many need humans that could use help.

I think we spoil our dogs more now than when I was a kid. There were no dog parks, and formal puppy play dates, dog chiropractors, doggie massages, dog bling, etc etc. And I never saw "purse puppies" back then. Now there is all manner of stuff for our dogs.

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
Oh gosh do we ever!
We were in the Virgin Islands last week and my children were asking why those dogs were running loose in the streets. I told them that in other countries they are not pampered, coddled, and put on leashes like they are here.
I also agree that they are treated differently from the way they were treated maybe only 15 years ago. Back then I never saw dresses for dogs,strollers for dogs, and all the crazy stuff we see nowadays.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dogs are actually gaining status in American society, to the point that in divorce cases they are part of settlements including 'weekend visits' and 'doggy (child) support'. Its a bit ridiculous on that end of the extreme but I also know people who dont even let their dogs inside the house, ever, which is also a silly extreme to me. My dog is with me as constant as I can have him, and that is my pampering, having my constant affection and attention. Some people shower with treats and toys and cloths and collars. I cant do that though, mine wont stand for it.

Ive visited "dog friendly" cities that were not at all that dog friendly, like Pensacola, FL. They advertise being dog friendly and you can't take your dogs any where. Very few hotels, NO beaches, and even fewer resturaunts (even with outdoor seating most still say no). But then I visit New Orleans and everybody wants you to bring your dog to their establishment. Every resturaunt with out door seating welcomes dogs, brings them water and treats. Theyre welcome on tourist walks and carriage rides, and most hotels have dog friendly rooms. NOLA doesnt even really advertise being dog friendly, but they really are.

LO

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I think so. Personally I do not hesitate to buy them whatever they need and then some. My dogs are spoiled rotten, but they don't know it, they think that is how it is...boy would they be in for a surprise if they lived somewhere else:D It makes me sad that there are so many dogs that will never know what if feels like to be loved much less spoiled:(

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I think this is true. I don't spoil my dogs, though. :D Grim did NOT get a Whopper with cheese yesterday, either. If you think he did, prove it. :p

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I have a hard time with such a general concept. Compared to where? Where have people who are opining been to and seen dogs to compare? What have they seen of dogs in this country? What is your standard for spoiling?
This was my first thought. I'm assuming it's compared to every other country in the world. I don't know what's considered 'spoiling' in this context, either. It's all relative.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
i think this could be objectively measured/estimated; as a first draft how about;

get the number of all dogs born in a country in a year multiplied by a weighting factor for overall level of nutrition and general health of the entire dog population divide that by (the number of dogs given up + detroyed in shelters + euthed by AC eg siezed dogs used for fighting etc + total incidence of emergency vet incidents + the number of charges of abuse + national GDP) per 100 000 people.

the numbers would need some assumptions but in theory something like this could be done.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i think this could be objectively measured/estimated; as a first draft how about;

get the number of all dogs born in a country in a year multiplied by a weighting factor for overall level of nutrition and general health of the entire dog population divide that by (the number of dogs given up + detroyed in shelters + euthed by AC eg siezed dogs used for fighting etc + total incidence of emergency vet incidents + the number of charges of abuse + national GDP) per 100 000 people.

the numbers would need some assumptions but in theory something like this could be done.
Sounds like a Fermi-problem! :wild: ;)

However, I think the US is more opt to humanize pups rather than spoil i.e. dresses for dogs, strollers, "bling, ect ect

Better off taking the time to provide structure, training, and adequate exercise. I spoil my pup with my time, enough exercise, and structure ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
As far as clothes and custody battles over pets I think Americans are a bit over the top. I live in Germany and well trained dogs are welcome almost everywhere. To me Germany is a very dog friendly country. When walking near parks there are usually doggy doo stations and restaurants always bring out water and occasionally treats. It's the best.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I think the phrase "spoiling" is relative to every person. I consider spoiling to be people who let their dogs do whatever they want, feeding them directly from the table without trying to feed them a normal diet...not RAW/BARF feeders, but giving the dog a plate of spaghetti or some other weird thing like that, and being completely humanized.

At the same time, I've been told that I spoil my dog by allowing him to sleep on the couch and on the bed, by buying him premium food and treats, by paying for personal training, and whatever else I try to do to allow my dog to have the best life possible.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think most countries that are "comparable" to the US in other ways integrate dogs into peoples' lives just as much. I think yes, there are probably more people who coddle their dogs here (ie "purse" dogs). But, there are other countries that, as a whole, are much more dog friendly than the US so dogs are even easier to integrate into everyday life. Germany (not sure if thise goes for every city) is extremely dog friendly and I get jealous about how "spoiled" some of those dogs are to be able to go virtually everywhere with their owners.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess spoiling may not have been the right word. The question probably should have been is this country more dog friendly compared to some other places in the world?

·
Registered
10,607 Posts
I guess spoiling may not have been the right word. The question probably should have been is this country more dog friendly compared to some other places in the world?
Well if this is the question, the answer would be no.
If you go to France you will find dogs inside restaurants and grocery stores. This never happens here.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well if this is the question, the answer would be no.
If you go to France you will find dogs inside restaurants and grocery stores. This never happens here.
That I agree with! I wish there were more places I could take Grim into.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Are American dogs spoiled or what I like to call treated better than a third world country's dogs. Yes! Are they treated better than dogs in a country like England...that could be debatable.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
That I agree with! I wish there were more places I could take Grim into.
There are more places to take your dog than you may think. Sometimes a take a chance and take WD into a bank as long as there is no "no dogs allowed" sign on the door. I make sure he sits when I am in line and at the teller's counter I put him in a down stay. He charms mot people that way.
In department stores they sometimes ask if "I am training him", meaning that he is being trained for guide or service work, but I just answer the question, "yes" and can take him inside the store. I think it helps that he looks like a serious working dog and wouldn't be able to pull this off if he had been a mutt.
Businesses that are fine with all behaved, non-marking dogs in this area: Home Depot, nurseries and hardware stores. Several local businesses: shoe stores, book stores, sporting goods and of course all the pet and feed stores.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts