German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you think this test is accurate? For Molly it was very accurate the majority of her scores where 3's Our breeder tests every litter
Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was just wondering if you think this test is accurate? For Molly it was very accurate the majority of her scores where 3's Our breeder tests every litter
Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test

The reason I am asking this is because next June we are planning to get a second pup and I was wondering if this test is a good way to choose the puppy? If so I will be looking for a pup with a similar score as Molly

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You should let your breeder choose the puppy for you. They have been with the litter since birth and have seen everything-from who was fastest to the teat to who was the most rambunctious. They will make an informed decision for you.

Which breeder have you decided on? They must be so cute!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should let your breeder choose the puppy for you. They have been with the litter since birth and have seen everything-from who was fastest to the teat to who was the most rambunctious. They will make an informed decision for you.

Which breeder have you decided on? They must be so cute!
We are going with the breeder Molly came from! She will be breeding Molly's sister this winter and are planning to get first pick (a male)
Winningways in Sault Ste Marie Ontario

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
It depends on who does the test and in what environment. I know some people who are breeding dogs to work don't use it. I have seen it used well in rescue with accurate information (had it done on 3 of my foster puppies that stayed and she was spot on).

The thing is that it needs to be done by someone who has never met the pups, and in a place the puppies have never been before, and so that they are separated from mom and siblings. If the breeder does it, it's basically just another of their observations and I would not consider it another tool, just part of that.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I think it is a good tool to test pups, but the assessment should just be a part of the breeders placement process.
And I agree with Jean, it should be done in an environment the pups haven't been in/ test should be done by someone other than the breeder.
Karlo's breeder uses it as part of her puppy placement process, and so far placements/matching of pups is about as close to perfect as you could get!
I gave a friend a link to the test when he went to see a litter @ 7 weeks old. He did the testing himself to choose his pup(breeder let him pick from a few different males) I think it helped him, he was going to use the test from Leerburgs site, but the Volhard was a bit more informational.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We do not use the Volhard test. Personally I do not like it. It leaves out some important aspects of evaluation, some parts can be unnecessarily traumatic to pups (there are other less harsh ways to evaluate those traits) and frankly some of it is prone to misinterpreting results and thus potentially leading to vastly inaccurate evaluations of temperament. One of the most glaring is that many behaviors it labels as "dominant" are not necessarily so, but are even more likely to be something else entirely, including nerve issues.

It isn't horrible for a general all breed test, primarily for pets, but it isn't great either and the areas that can mislabel some things as being very different from what they are is concerning. It is pretty much useless for working/sport dogs. IMO there are much better tests out there, and most breeders I know have their own.

We do puppy testing, but as a part of the evaluation process, not a major determinant. We don't use a "boxed" test, but rather one we've developed over the years based on other puppy tests out there and primarily on the experience of many other breeders, and our own experience.

I'm familiar with this breeder and frankly would put a whole lot more stock in her general observations and recommendations than on any formal testing, particularly the Volhard test.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Agree with Chris. I have my own test that I do that I stole from a friend that she learned from another person. It is designed primarily for the testing of working prospects, but works well for other areas too.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I agree with Chris and Lisa , for the reasons that they gave. Won't be having that here. I don't need that test when I have intensive contact and multiple opportunities for novel experiences starting from 4-5 week age to the 9 or so weeks old when the dog is rehomed. Testing by observation is continual and much more complex . Back in the day earnest people would come and want to "test" the dog , turn him , pin him , etc. I don't think so.

I agree it gives little information for training potential , and for working / sport dog application.

Let the breeder choose .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm not much for the test. A good breeder is going to know the puppies she/he breeds and be able to have a fairly accurate understanding of their personalities and which ones would be best in which homes. Needing a test to tell you this (seems to me) to be a cop out on the breeder's part for spending time with their puppies! When you've seen puppies come and go, it's not hard to get a good feel for what they will become (esp. if the breeder keeps in contact with the puppies once they are in their new homes)

Anyway, a while back I also read something that said the test is often times inaccurate because there are so many environmental factors that can happen later on (such as socialization experiences, training, etc)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for your response especially from different breeders!:) When it comes time to pick the puppy we will not choose one souly from the holvard test. The breeder know us very well and has kept in contact with us since we bought Molly.She(the breeder) knows our lifestyle and knows that all we want is a great outgoing companion dog. My wife is a elementary school teacher and loves to bring Molly to school to do obedience with the student as a reward for good behavior! We are hoping that the next pup will have the same temperament!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts