Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Always

Votes: 31 79.5%

• Total voters
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think that’s what my husband is really missing the most with Hunter gone. He’d have entire one-sided conversations. More than once I’d ask him to repeat what he said only to get “I was talking to the dog”!
When I make a smart ass comment and the wife asks what I said, I often respond with “I was talking to the dog”

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dogs need praise to know when they are doing good. I also give a noise like "AAHNN" when they are doing something they shouldn't. When we aren't doing training or giving commands, I talk to my dogs. Especially my scruffy old man. Though they probably don't, they act like they understand, and it makes them happy to be acknowledged. Lol Plus, my dogs are very emotive. The general butthurt look is hysterical with them. 🤣

·
Registered
39 Posts
I talk to Duke sometimes, when I have something to say to him. Like when I'm training the pup and tell him he's a good boy, I feel compelled to then tell Duke that you're always a good boy and I swear he understands by the way he then turns to look at me. Another example is when he gets tired of playing fetch and switches to keep away. At some point he gets distracted and drops the ball somewhere, so I ask him where's the ball; go get your ball and he lopes off to look for it and retrieve it though I never taught him any of that. Don't talk to the pup much yet because at 7 months I don't think he's picked much up yet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had an interesting experience yesterday. We went to see one of my trainer (ex-military dog handler). I like him. He's the only one so far that has taught me to wrangle and work both my dogs at the same time. He said that I should talk to my dogs while we are training, and heeling. To be enthusiastic, to have fun. My new trainer wants me to praise the dogs while they are heeling. Which is okay, I am willing to give his method a good try. So interesting that there are so many different theories and styles out there.

I thought that was interesting, because I had been taught by my first real trainer (I am not counting Petsmart!) not to talk to them, other than to give commands and say good boy in a calm voice. I was first taught to praise with touch only, a soft, gentle small caress that would leave the dog wanting more. When I issued a command at a distance, then I was taught "good boy". The only time I was effusive was for "come", then it was good boy/ that's my boy/ yes!

And now my mind is full of questions.

Do you talk to your dogs? Full-on conversations? Praise while you're training and heeling? Or are you quieter and silent except for the commands you issue? Do they react to your talking? Why do you talk to them?

PS I am generally a serious and quiet person.

·
Registered
132 Posts
YEP-I talk to them all the time and they really do seem to know what say/want no matter the tone of voice, I call them names, throw flower petals/snowballs/hotdogs at them, yell/laugh at them. wrestle/tickle them, staring matches, get on the bed get off the bed=life would be soooo boring without them wouldnt it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I talk to Duke sometimes, when I have something to say to him. Like when I'm training the pup and tell him he's a good boy, I feel compelled to then tell Duke that you're always a good boy and I swear he understands by the way he then turns to look at me. Another example is when he gets tired of playing fetch and switches to keep away. At some point he gets distracted and drops the ball somewhere, so I ask him where's the ball; go get your ball and he lopes off to look for it and retrieve it though I never taught him any of that. Don't talk to the pup much yet because at 7 months I don't think he's picked much up yet.
The 7 month old might just surprise you. They are fully capable of a ton by then (I have a 7 month old with a 6 year old now)

·
Registered
34 Posts
All the time and, there are certain words and phrases I can't say, because he knows what they mean!

Such as, "I'm gonna go feed the horses", he's off the couch and at the door,......."I'm going to bed," hes on my side of the bed, before I get to the bedroom, hes sitting at the pantry door, where the treats are and, I tell him, " no more treats, you have to eat your food," I get a dirty look and, he goes and eats his food.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts