German Shepherds Forum banner

Do you groom your dog yourself or have the dog groomer do it?

• I only groom my dog myself.

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • I take to dog groomer only.

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I take to dog groomer mostly, groom on occasions.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I mostly groom my dog myself, but on occasions take to dog groomer.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Somewhere in between - we take our dog to a grooming facility that has the "do it yourself" option. They have a great raised tub, they provide towels and brush and blower to dry. It is a flat rate for 20 minutes. Molly hates a bath so we are out of there very quickly, never stay for the 20 minutes.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I groom my Lab myself. My GSD occasionally go to the groomer for a blow out. My new terrier goes to the groomer every 8 weeks. Cause terrier.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I did my Shih Tzu all but three times in her life. Bathing is easy, nails were meh, but a good pair of clippers were a must and made all the clipping easy.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My poodle goes to a groomer every 7 weeks, I can't clip her as nicely as her groomer does so it's worth the money.

Delgado I found a great DIY place, they provide the facility, shampoo, towels, brushes, blower, etc for a flat rate of $10 for 30 minutes. The best part - you leave them the mess, I felt awful but she shooed me out and said it was all part of the deal!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I wait for a hot, super hot summer day. I put on a swim suit, haul up a bucket or too of warm water, and lather up the dog. Rinse, release dog to the roll in the grass, towel off, and done.
Sounds easy, not. Never had a dog that liked it.
All my dogs have loved brushing though, until old age makes things miserable, and then I leave things be.
Used a rake for my e german shedders, piles and piles of fur to found in them. Birds love it. I put it out in wire cages and it gets upcycled into bird nests and keeps nestlings warm.
Sonic (streetdog bc-mix) has a double coat too, but thus far has not delivered on the fluff. And he smells nice, so a bath is not in his near future.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I do all bathing and grooming for my guys. I enjoy brushing and washing them. Not all at once! They are good for baths so I usually take them to a shop or wash them in driveway with a hose on warm days

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always Groom my own dogs, my parents had a Bichon and that dog always had to be groomed by a groomer. $50 a pop every few months is not something I would to do when I can easily do it myself.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have always bathed and brushed my dogs myself. I even taught myself how to groom my hairy hairless Chinese Crested Dogs. It is cheaper, plus I have heard too many horror stories! After my second foot surgery, I did take my one crested to a groomer, along with a bunch of pictures as to how to clip him. They did a terrible job, but it helped me at the time be a use I was non-weight-bearing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I always groom Sasha myself. I think it is good for the relationship between her and myself. She trusts me and we both love it. She is a plush coat GSD and I had her washed by a groomer once and she didnt do as good a job.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am a groomer so I groom my dogs myself. ;) Finn is long coated so he gets brushed a few times a week to prevent mats. I bath and HV dry him about every other month or so. Takes me about 45 minutes to do a full bath, dry, and brush out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts