German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do a little, I mean I'm 60 and live by myself, so it's not like I don't have the time :wink2:

I really spoil the grandkids, but Elvis is also special to me.

He will be 2 this month. He's such a good boy, doesn't bark his head off, has perfect recall, always listens, always beside me, walks on leash well, gets along with my 2 cats, doesn't jump up on furniture and doesn't chew the house apart. Unbelievably, he is not even a big shedder...

So, he also is not really a big eater. To supplement his many times of non interest in eating, I slow boil beef marrow bones with some carrots and celery. Often I'll let it simmer all day to really absorb the flavour and nutrients of the marrow in the bones.

I also get him nice healthy dog treats from Costco, the beef liver and lamb jerky ones.

Other than that, tons of love, affection and exercise. I really love my boy!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
My dog, who is almost 2, gets a raw egg, MSM powder (joint and coat health supplement), and then meats scraps of some sort and some broth (beef or chicken) for breakfast every day. We train everyday, so she gets treats too. At night I just give her straight dry kibble. For the most part she is a constant companion because I take her everywhere with me too. So yeah, spoiled just a little LOL!, but she doesn't seem to mind...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, yes I do.

I let their kibble soak in very hot water for a few minutes each feeding, it’s more flavorful and who wouldn’t like a hot meal during the chilly season? They also get fresh toppers... duck eggs, ground beef, chicken, pork, sweet potato, pumpkin, rice, fish, peanut butter etc.

There’s a difference in spoiling as to allowing your dog to behave any way he wants and still get everything he wants. It’s quite another to dote on your otherwise loyal and loving partner.

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
my two get love and play and classes and more than just dry kibble. I've treated all my dogs, staying active and healthy and doing special things.
But then again, I don't have grand children yet and my kids are grown. And part of the GSD package is keeping busy with them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nitro gets a home cooked meal every night, even those nights I'm feeling lazy and am eating a can of beans. He gets walked every morning, and 3 to 5 frisbee sessions each day, unless I'm too sick to get out of bed, or the weather is dangerous. I get up very early to walk him in the coolest time of the day, (summer heatwave here). When I go out he's left with the air conditioner and TV on, usually home renovation shows. When I do his nails, he gets little pieces of cheese for each nail. I wont mention his toys. To finish our day, at bedtime he has a kangaroo tendon. I don't have grandkids, I'd say Nitro is (seriously) indulged, not spoilt.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Yes, I absolutely spoil my dogs. I sometimes cook them nice things. I often share when I am eating things they like. If they ask me to retrieve the lost toy from under the entertainment center or the bed, I will go get it for them. When my old dog tries to get on the Kuranda and the other dogs have left a bunch of toys and bones and crap on it and she stands there looking disgusted, i will go take the stuff off for her so she can go lay down. Last night she decided to go downstairs and sleep in her kennel and I knew the door was shut and she couldn't get to her bed so I got out of bed and went downstairs to open her kennel for her. She was laying on the concrete when I got down there and she happily went and got in her comfy bed when I opened the door for her.

That dog served me absolutely tirelessly for nearly ten years. The least I can do is make her old age comfortable. I take her out for ice cream every so often. She is getting a birthday cake this year because it's a big deal. She is a food freak now so I indulge her however I can. She is not overweight, she eats super healthy food as her actual food so who cares. Well she still weighs 67 lb which is pretty much what she has always weighed her whole life, as much muscle as she has lost maybe she has a little chub but I don't think so. I can feel her ribs.

None of my dogs are brats, and I don't have a problem getting them to behave when I need them to-- when we have company or if i just don't want to be begged from, if I tell them the lay down and quit they will. They are really good dogs and I think I'm pretty reasonable and toning things down if I feel like they are getting annoying with too much privilege. They all work really hard for me in one way or another. I feel like they do as much for me as I do for them.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Naw, we never spoil our dog...

Aside from the fact that we spent our weekend installing a new storm door with a dog door in it...
and giving him a bath on deck with the hose hooked up to the WARM water from inside the house...
and his 10% ice cream tax that I pay whenever I eat ice cream :-D

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Yes I spoil my dogs they deserve and have no ill effects. Mine sleep in my bed sometimes one of the kids - mostly my daughter will sneak in on the weekend and steal max’s spot he will then go in my daughters empty bed and mess up all her blankets lol! My kids and talk about the dogs when we are not around and them. The joy they bring me and my kids I can even begin to explain word on this forum can not even begin to properly relay how happy they make me!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSCnAQjKmy/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
https://instagram.com/p/BqeILCPD7zF/

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I think I do spoil her sometimes because I can. We have mutual respect for each other and I am honored that she is my dog. She has shown me that she is the one and only.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Yes, but I also demand perfect or good behavior for some things. One of mine has couch privileges, the other doesn’t. But that one gets away with things from being small, the other doesn’t. No matter how spoiled they are, I’m still in charge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts