German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Honestly Laurie...
The Karma/Pascha puppies are available for homes on Dec 13th (8wks old).....so technically...some people might consider them Xmas time puppies.
I have been "screening" prospects for over 2 months.....so I am satisfied...and even though they are "available" to new homes in December...they are not Xmas Puppies.
*I actually don't like having puppies available around the holidays......they can be born around the holidays...just not available.*

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I think (and I'm not a breeder here:) that it depends on the home they are going to.

I got Jynx a week before xmas however, she was not an impulse buy, it just happened they were ready to go home then.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You obviously have to screen buyers appropriately, but actually around the holidays isn't a bad time because the people are usually on vacation from work and can spend alot of initial time with a puppy. So from that aspect it is not necessarily a bad time. What you are getting at though is people buying on holiday impulse and/or for the wrong reasons. Breeders have to screen appropriately throughout the year though for this.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think the holidays is a GREAT time depending on who the puppies are going to. I would love it if I got a puppy over Christmas some time. The years we are here, it is one of the rare occasions I take a whole week off of work. My mom and dad--huge dog people--will stay around a few extra days ususally. Great opportunities for socialization. It's my dream time.

Well, except for the snow around here. It would definitely be my dream time if I lived somewhere warmer :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Unless the breeders standards change regarding processing through potential buyers, I don't see why it would even matter.

I would love to get a pup over the holidays. As stated above, I have additional time off and I usually have guests coming by. So if nothing else, the pressures of crate training and potty training are made just a little easier. (Please! For the love of all that is Holy! Stop screaming in your crate! It's 2:00 a.m. and I have to go to work in the morning!)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Hey, figure after 12 hours and the breeders haven't bothered to reply it's fair game to insert your own opinion :p

·
Premium Member
11,174 Posts
My Ks were born on Halloween...so they are 8 weeks old on Dec 26th....3 are flying to people I have been in contact with - some for a few years....they are not "Christmas Puppies"....one will be able to go home locally that week - met buyer about 6 months ago, young professional couple, he an FBI agent, she from Germany with warmblood horses, so not a Christmas "present"....the others that will be flying will fly AFTER the holiday craziness...no way am I putting pups on planes between Christmas and New Years....

Have had a few inquiries about presents for Christmas - but from people who I have been in contact with over time as well....

the Christmas puppy inquiries - I just don't have anything available..... :whistle:

Lee

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
Nope, if we happen to have a litter ready to go to their new homes around Chirstmas time, we hold them till after the New Year.

Not only to keep away the puppy buyer doing it out of impulse and/or wanting a puppy as a Christmas gift, but also because x-mas time is a very stressful time for a lot of families... having other family members coming, traveling, etc. No need to put a puppy into that kind of stress.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I have not noticed Nikon's breeder "hold" puppies because of Christmas just because (unless the new family asked for that). A few years ago I "borrowed" a puppy over the holidays (breeder wasn't sure which one(s) to keep so a few friends took one for some individual attention and training).

·
Registered
460 Posts
Honestly Laurie...
The Karma/Pascha puppies are available for homes on Dec 13th (8wks old).....so technically...some people might consider them Xmas time puppies.
I have been "screening" prospects for over 2 months.....so I am satisfied...and even though they are "available" to new homes in December...they are not Xmas Puppies.
*I actually don't like having puppies available around the holidays......they can be born around the holidays...just not available.*
I'm like Robin and many others here, I usually plan my litters to be before Christmas or their availability to be after Christmas. But on occasion we do have litters that are ready around Christmas although usually these are planned litters that have already been reserved well ahead of time. I don't like the idea of selling a said puppy for a Christmas present.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I think there is a very big difference between having a litter that is ready to go home about Christmas and planning a breeding and advertising Christmas puppies.

If you screen your owners you screen your owners. Depending on circumstances the holidays could actually be a good time to place a pup because of time off work for some people. For other families it could be the worse possible time. A breeder that has talked to the owners would know.

And I've never had a litter ready to go for Christmas, I've had litters born on Christmas Eve and New Years day. I would not skip a breeding I was planning though because they would be ready to go about the time of the holidays.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I think there is a very big difference between having a litter that is ready to go home about Christmas and planning a breeding and advertising Christmas puppies.

If you screen your owners you screen your owners. Depending on circumstances the holidays could actually be a good time to place a pup because of time off work for some people. For other families it could be the worse possible time. A breeder that has talked to the owners would know.

And I've never had a litter ready to go for Christmas, I've had litters born on Christmas Eve and New Years day. I would not skip a breeding I was planning though because they would be ready to go about the time of the holidays.

Same here. The S litter is ready to go home in 2 weeks, but that is also due to having to keep them for the import regs. We do follow that; I know some people do not.

Plus, with this litter - these are for working homes and we have been very particular since this is a similar breeding to two other ones that we have done and need strong handlers.

I know Lee is doing the same.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I had litter born on Halloween once. Count forward 8 weeks and you get Dec 26th. I kept most of that litter until after Christmas day. I let one go a couple of days before Christmas but she was going to a fellow breeder whose schedule worked out that way. But this was a litter of Beaucerons and most of my puppy buyers had placed deposits close to a year before, the timing just worked out that way. With a rare breed you kind of have to do the breeding when all the stars align. I knew when I did the breeding that they would be Christmas pups, but it was fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
I haven't had a litter in the fall before so never had to worry about it. With my screening process and the types of homes that most of my puppies go into I doubt this is something I would even consider. I might suggest that a buyer wait if they were going to be leaving for the holidays or have other plans that would not be best to throw an 8 week old puppy into the middle of.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts