German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the training/behavorist side of the room seems to be split on this one. Do you ever play rough with your dog? I like to get on the floor with his tug or a toy and I pull hard on it, maybe give him a "growl" or two, and basically just rough and tumble for a few minutes. He's never bitten me outside of a miss on the tug/toy which happens to the best of us and he doesn't play rough with anyone but me, even if they are on the floor and I've never had an issue with training.

So, what do you do?

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
I don't know what you consider rough, but I sure do play an energetic game of tug with him!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rough as in, he'll come up to me and push/lean against me and I'll push/lean back, or he paws at me as he's pulling back on the tug. Stuff like that. General rough housing and rolling around on the floor with your dog.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I "rough house" like that with my dog but if I tell him stop when I'm done he stops. The stop command definitely is a big one that you have to teach.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I rough house with my dog. He never bites me or gets aggressive or anything. He just plays. And let me say, I am tiny. Berlin is probably about 30 or so pounds less than me. He has never hurt me. But I agree - knowing when to end it is important.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My boy Jaeger loves to play but he is pretty careful with me and won't ever actually close his mouth on me or growl or anything. He's really sensitive and almost comically dismayed when he steps on someone's barefoot or otherwise elicits an involuntary "Ouch."

·
Registered
652 Posts
Rough as in, he'll come up to me and push/lean against me and I'll push/lean back, or he paws at me as he's pulling back on the tug. Stuff like that. General rough housing and rolling around on the floor with your dog.
yes,we love to play rough tug game,if Odi paws me too much,i use my knees against her.:D

here's how it looks like.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
We'll play rough with the tug, but he's not really interested in rough housing

Jazzy on the other hand loves rough housing! lol Go figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
766 Posts
yes we have our times when we have a good high energy play. either with her rope or I get on the ground with her and we'll play around. She enjoys it

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's awesome! I felt like I was in the minority of people who got on the floor and rough housed with their dog. Finn knows when to stop and he does so on command. Last night we were wrestling around and we were just having a blast. I think it builds a good bond.

He will play rough with me, but he won't or will half-*** it with my husband...but he loves it when my husband gets a hold of a long, FL tug with handles. Woo! He holds on and doesn't let go for anything and my husband can give him a good spin when he runs and hits the tug.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Now that Lisl has her permanent teeth I roughhouse a little with her. We play a lot of tug and she loves that.

She will grab and hold my hand or arm but not clamp down on it. She mostly though, loves her balls or anything she can chase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I will play tug but ONLY on my terms and I always end the session before the dog is tired or does but thats the extent of rough I get with my dogs. I have 3 kids so need to take them into account when I play with my dogs ;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Interestingly enough, Rocket will sometimes play "rough" with us in the family, and will actually put his mouth on us. He is gentle, but if really ramped up I make him stop because he will lose a bit of control the farther he gets (not in terms of becoming aggressive, just in bite. He is still young too).

But...yesterday, my sister and her husband were here, and he is a 6'4 guy, super nice and he started playing with Rocket like that. Rocket would jump and leap and body slam, but he would.not.touch.him.with.his.teeth. I found it fascinating. And pleasing, that he differentiated that is would not be appropriate to use his teeth on someone not "in" his pack.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Other than regular games of tug I never really rough housed with Jazz when she was a puppy. She is about 17 month old now and over the last few months we have started to wrestle pretty regularly. She does mouth when we do, but is very gentle, and the game starts and stops on my terms. When it's done she calms and is back to cuddling and/or our regular games of tug, fetch, chase, etc.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, I play rough with my dog...

...BUT ONLY WITH TUGS.

My dog's in bite training. I don't want my dog to ever think that he has license to bit me or anyone else or even to be aggressive towards anyone without command.

Part of bite training is to use a tug. We started him as a puppy with just a sock stuffed full of other old socks and tied on one end. He just loved it during his landshark days and would hang on like a pit bull.

Remember, to let him win this game EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Recently, his baby teeth were being lost and we saw so much blood on the tug that we briefly discontinued its use until his baby teeth were all out. Then we use the sock tug to get him interested in biting and we switch to a tougher tug made of jute.

As his adult teeth come in he's beginning to wear that jute tug down a bit and it's softening up. So, he's really interested in it now.

But if that dog ever bites me he's immediately disciplined. I'm sure rough play with my hands and arms would elicit a bite. And, that's just setting him up for failure.

LF

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My idea rough housing is different I guess. I will get on the floor and Fiona and I will wrestle a little bit. Nothing crazy, because I have to be gentle with myself. Then we will play with a toy. Fiona loves it. She does not mouth me hard or even enough to leave a mark.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Very rarely and not while my kids are around...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I play rough with Lara sometimes but I make it rare since when she gets riled up she gets into landshark mode lol. The game ends before the tug gets boring and the skin gets more fun

1 - 20 of 40 Posts