German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year having lived in a warm and dry enviroment, the dogs, particularly Hannah and Sable have developed the nicest smell in their fur, a sort of seasoned hay, and maybe Doritos type odor, not the really strong doggy odor normally associated with dogs who spend part, or most of the time out of doors in a run, or on a chain(ever grab a dog under the collar who has been in a damp enviroment? Icky!). When I got Perle, the people had thoughtfully bathed her, but they had used some kind of aromatic shampoo, and I wished they had not, because the smell came out of her in just the past few weeks, and I got her in January, and now she too smells really nice. Nothing quite like coming in the house and being greeted with that luxurious furry smell. Am I crazy, or what?

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I like the way she smells fresh from the groomer! We live about 500 feet from the ocean and I smell the salt in the air so it's getting in her fur just from the heavy morning dew.

Never notice the house smells doggy and she doesn't ever smell doggy but sometimes I get in the car and think 'Mmmm, smells like a german shepherd who's been swimming in Narragansett bay'. Which is a much better smell than if my son left his sneakers in the backseat!

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
OMG, I LOVE the way Dalton smells. Sometimes it's a fresh outdoor smell. Sometimes it's just some kind of sweet smell. The other day I could sware he smelt of lilacs (but they're not in bloom just yet up here).

And I always thougt it was just because I'm a little weird sometimes.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I love my furbabies smell too!! Guess I'm kind of odd in that sometimes I smell Shoshona and just think I want to memorize the smell just to have it with me always

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Depends...

when I got them home from swimming in the pond, Jack had wallowed in the mud and was not smelling like a flower or hay or anything but a dog I had to put in the shower. He's such an 'animal!' LOL...

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I love Kenya's smell. She has a short coat, so she never gets really musty/stinky like Coke does when it's time for a bath (he has a very thick, long coat). She has a very "doggy" smell, yet I find it very natural and clean.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
i have never really thought about this, but yeah I guess I do!
most days when i get home and after they have calmed down a bit the first thing i do is bury my head in their fur for a second. I guess that their smell reminds me of home in a way

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do I ever!

I always go over to Yukon while he is lying down and bury my nose/face into his coat. He smells like caramel. Very good!

Actually whenever my dog passes away, I refuse to have their pillow or blanket washed, not until their smell is gone.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Smells like warmth, caring, home, family, love, best-friendship, trust, fun, snuggling, adventures.. and did I say love? I will never forget the baby puppy smell of Grimm that night I first hugged his porky little chubby 9-week-old puppy piglet body at Logan airport. His soft, folded puppy ear went right in my eye as I picked him up.. and I semelled his baby smell.
Today, at age 18 months, his smell brings feelings of love, home, family, comfort, and joy. I did say love, right?

Grimm's scent goes right past any reasoning, directly to my emotions.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Zandor doesn't smell, or didn't until he developed an incontinence problem, and I won't embarrass him by describing that.
Dynamo stinks like butt right now--happens every spring, gone by midsummer. After that, she smells very nice, like a forest, in winter, like hay. And I just love the smell of dog feet, but right, it's not so pretty in our house.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Originally Posted By: BrightelfSmells like warmth, caring, home, family, love, best-friendship, trust, fun, snuggling, adventures.. and did I say love? I will never forget the baby puppy smell of Grimm that night I first hugged his porky little chubby 9-week-old puppy piglet body at Logan airport. His soft, folded puppy ear went right in my eye as I picked him up.. and I semelled his baby smell.
Today, at age 18 months, his smell brings feelings of love, home, family, comfort, and joy. I did say love, right?

Grimm's scent goes right past any reasoning, directly to my emotions.
Oh I love your description!!!

Mine have a wonderful scent to them too. It is clean and healthy. It is a result of good care and good diet. It is a natural clean odor and I love to bury my face in their fur and just breathe in thier clean scent.

No we are not crazy, just dog people!

·
2,967 Posts
Sometimes. And it depends on where I'm smelling. He still pees on his front feet and when he jumps up on my shoulders, that can be pretty stinky!

I do love the way the back of his head, between his ears smells though. It almost still smells like puppy.

I do NOT like the way my car smells. Stinky wet dog and hot dogs forgotten in the car from tracking. And since I'm in FLorida, the smell bakes in in the heat. Only very close family and friends are allowed to ride in the car unless vacuum and Fabreeze get there first.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i love their smells!

luc is allowed to sleep in the bed now (as long as the bf isn't over....he keeps getting in and the bf ends up off to the side. i said 'sorry....it's b/c you're sleeping on his side of the bed' and toby said 'no, he sleeps on my side!' heh).

anyways
one of my favourite things is to snuggle my head against luc's back, smelling him, and just fall asleep with him.

....unless he's been farting

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes, I love Kodee Bear's scent. He doesn't smell "doggy" at all - just a clean, earthy smell, and his breath even smells nice. Just warm and clean. I love kissing him on top of the head between the ears, he is so soft there, and also on top of his velvety muzzle.
I actually don't like to bathe him, b/c then he smells like shampoo instead of like Kodee Bear. LOL!

I bury my nose in his fur at least twice a day....more if I need it. Ha!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Having a pack of dogs, I can now truly appreciate the smell of Arwen, which she handed down to some of her pups. It is almost a minty smell. You can bury your nose in the top of her head and she smells good.

Cujo smells just as good.

Some of the pups I kept inherited this, some did not. None of them stink -- unless they ate something they should not have, or rolled in something.

When Arwen got nailed by the skunk it was forever before she got her natural smell back, but it did come back.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Love the way B-boy smells
Love laying next to him with my head on him, its comforting to me.
his breathing puts me to sleep

1 - 20 of 27 Posts