German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many people let their dogs eliminate on leash if so do you wish you could change it or are you fine with it?

Argos is training to be a service dog so we have chosen not to let him eliminate on leash and so far he never has he just goes as soon as we get home. However the other dog that lives here (not mine) eliminates every 2 blocks lol he just marks everything.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I do let Avery do his business on leash but he has never been one to mark. Shoot I've only seen him lift his leg to pee 5 or 6 times in the 9 months we've owned him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
I would wonder who doesn't.
My dog eliminates just about anywhere except our yard.
But that is her choice. Haven't figured out why she won't
poop (she will pee) in our yard.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I travel and camp with mine, they'd be in sad shape if they weren't allowed to potty when on leash. However I don't know the standards of a service dog, they may well be different. I would think they'd have to give them a break now and then though!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Mine are not service dogs, and Masi 'goes' where-ever, when-ever, on leash, off leash, if she's gotta "go" she is gonna "go" :)

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
why would you not want your SD to go on-leash? If you are out all day with the dog, they are probably going to have to potty. Especially if you have to travel. I would simply train him to only go when he is released with a "go potty" command.

I think it is more common for people trying to get their dog comfortable going on-leash

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm honestly confused, so if you're away for 4 hours or more and the dog is with you then it shouldn't eliminate until it's home? Most places have leash laws, especially in towns and cities so unless you're going to keep to the country it's going to be a problem. Your only solution therefore is taking it home or have a off leash park nearby everywhere you go

All the service dogs I know are simply trained to eliminate on command, so when they have to be inside they simply potty before entering. Then they get potty breaks at regular intervals just like any other dogs. They are always on leash while working, and not taken off for simply having to go to the bathroom.

Edit: To answer the question, yes my dogs can and will do their business while on leash

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I was just thankful I was able to successfully housebreak Lisl.

As long as she goes outside she can go anywhere she wants, on-lead off-lead or any other way.:wild:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is a service dog. When home, she goes off leash. When out and about, she is on leash and goes on command. Well, pee on command. Poop is another thing. She will go if she has to do so.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther will not eliminate anywhere that isn't home which can be frustrating at times. I have a 23' lead to work with him on eliminating while on a lead and he still thinks I'm too close to go potty when he's on it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys that on command sounds much better I must reword my question I am not forcing the pup to only eliminate at home however he has yet to eliminate on leash so was wondering for service dog training of he had to only eliminate at home or off leash area thanks a lot for clearing thigs up I appreciate it I am glad to know I can train him a command to go

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
All my dogs go on leash. I live in an apartment so that is the only option. The know how to pee on command, especially when its 40 below and I'm getting frostbite because they smell a duck. So the pee on command works, but I don't use it all the time. My GSD does not like going to the bathroom anywhere but home, its so nice taking her places. The other two love to poop on walks. None of mine are markers.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
I live in the city. Leash laws and clean-up bags for elimination required!

My GSD is 17 weeks old. He is house broken and potties on command. He will eliminate leashed whether it’s on grass or concrete and if it is familiar or unfamiliar territory.

He will also eliminate off leash just as easy when on a farm or fenced in back yard. I am so thankful that he does his business quick.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog is 5&1/2 yrs old. he's rarely leashed but he'll go leashed or
unleashed.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what different does it make if he's leashed or unleashed? i don't have a service dog in training so i don't know but if i did have a service dog
i would want him to go leashed or unleashed.

I was wondering how many people let their dogs eliminate on leash if so do you wish you could change it or are you fine with it?

Argos is training to be a service dog so we have chosen not to let him eliminate on leash and so far he never has he just goes as soon as we get home. However the other dog that lives here (not mine) eliminates every 2 blocks lol he just marks everything.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't understand this. why wouldn't you want your dog to go leashed
or unleashed? what if you're in a situation where the dog has to be leashed?

why would you not want your SD to go on-leash? If you are out all day with the dog, they are probably going to have to potty. Especially if you have to travel. I would simply train him to only go when he is released with a "go potty" command.

I think it is more common for people trying to get their dog comfortable going on-leash

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
my dog is potty shy. She won't go while she's on leash unless she absolutely has to go. The only reason she even went potty on leash this last 3 days trip was because I put her on the flexi so she could get distance and not feel like I was hovering over her. She doesn't like going when she's near you. Don't know why. that's just her.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts