61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Exactly Myoung!

I think she got these back?
Allegedly Abused Dogs Moved to New Wis. Shelter
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- More than 30 Jack Russell Terriers have been removed from a Milwaukee-area animal shelter where authorities say the dogs were mistreated.

Quote: MILWAUKEE (AP) -- More than 30 Jack Russell Terriers have been removed from a Milwaukee-area animal shelter where authorities say the dogs were mistreated.

Oak Creek police acting on an anonymous tip responded to First Friends Animal Rescue in Oak Creek. They allegedly found dogs with open sores and filthy fur.

The 31 dogs were taken to Milwaukee Area Domestic Animal Control Commission.

The director there is Melanie Sobel. She tells WTMJ the dogs lapped up food and water as though they hadn't been fed for a long time. She says many had sores on their paws and fur soaked in urine.

A message left Saturday with First Friends Animal Rescue was not immediately returned.

Oak Creek police say they're seeking charges that include mistreatment of animals.
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/81077492.html

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Sadly, with the Internet facilitating the long distance transfer of dogs, this kind of thing just gets more and more common. And bad situations with private adopters are even more common. Too often well-meaning people and desperate shelters send dogs off to horrible situations without knowing it. I wish more people understood that when someone asks questions - and for references and home visits - that it's not a personal attack, there are real and legitimate reasons.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
About 60 of those dogs from Hayden came to us in Montgomery. Most of them are shy, most of them large breed mixed dogs. We have been in the process of evaluating them and processing them and sending some up for adoption. Some had heartworms some didn't. This is the reason I'm not taking any more dogs in for a while. I don't want to be on the news for having my animals seized because I had too many. I'm working on placing the rescues I have that are adoptable and beefing up the ones that need some extra TLC. I've got work that needs to be done in the yard and the house.

We are trying very hard at the shelter to send to reputable rescues. We've had interest on two chows from a woman who it turns out works closely with the Pendragwyn folks, and I believe the restraining order against them taking more dogs expired this month. Then we were suggested to try another chow rescue which has also just recently shut down. NOw we're working with another group to get them to safety.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Don't forget TEARS in Birmingham, which was also just shut down. This place has been a train wreck for years yet they keep taking in dogs and cats and other animals and begging for money. The shelter I now work for sent at least two GSDs to them that I had a commitment for from a reputable rescue, one was very special needs and had bonded with the other one so the shelter asked that they go together. As soon as they got to TEARS the healthy one was shipped off to somewhere else. Two weeks later TEARS asked me if I could take the other one. I told them yes and when we were trying to negotiate a meeting place/time, they made the comment that she had finally approached the foster mom so maybe one more week and she'd be better and they could get her in a vehicle. I reminded them that SOMEBODY put her in a vehicle and got her to Birmingham from Montgomery. They got their feelings hurt and wouldn't let me take the dog. Last I heard she was living in a pen in someone's back yard (a dog that was terrified of people because of a tramautic incident) because she was scared to go in the house.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Another one to add to the list:

Stolen dogs NOT stolen

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9019992

Quote:The woman at the center of an alleged dognapping and attack at a Johnson City dog school has been arrested for filing a false police report.

The owners of the business, Cool School for Dogs, 3548 West Market Street, have also been charged with animal cruelty.

According to a press release from Johnson City Police, Ashli Thomas, 25, of 2806 Newbern Drive, has been arrested and charged with filing a false report. Police say Thomas admitted that she made the story up because she had left the dogs unattended and had not been caring for them properly.

Thomas and the owners of the business, Brad Josselyn and Tamara Josselyn, were also charged by Washington County Animal Control with eight counts of animal cruelty.

Police added that Thomas is in the Washington County Detention Center under a $5,000 bond. Her arraignment is scheduled for Friday in Washington County General Sessions Count.

The press release provided no further information regarding the Josselyns, or the location and conditions of the dogs.

Police were called to the business Tuesday at about 4 a.m., in response to a reported burglary. Thomas said she was sleeping in the business when awakened by the dogs barking. She went to investigate and told police she saw a white male attempting to steal the dogs.

According to a police report on the incident, Thomas was stabbed by the man in her right side. The report said five stitches would be needed to close her minor wound.

Thirteen Dobermans were allegedly stolen, with a "substantial reward" offered for their return.

Check back for more information as it develops.

Apparently the doggies day care place was boarding some of the rescues dogs. From the rescue's website:

http://www.caninehoperescue.org/

Quote:Our rescue has experienced a great tragedy. Someone broke into the Cool School For Dogs Puppy Dog Day Care and stole many of the rescue dogs that were being cared for there. There were mostly Dobermans taken and 3 other smaller dogs, in total 13 dogs.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Yes, the rescue community in East TN received a very big blow today and I think for many people it was an eye opener.

These dogs have been plastered all over every local tv station, FB and all the local animal related message boards. I know of a fellow rescuers that started looking up Class B dealers in the area in the hopes that maybe they were sold for money to one of these dealers. Needless to say, many people are very upset right now about being lied to and mislead.

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
Amy...can you please let dobermantalk know anything that might come up. I know many members are sick over it.

fyi...there is a shepherd mix missing as well.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
so no one "stole" the dogs? where have the dogs that are "missing" gone?

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
nobody seems to know yet.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Good morning rescue people. Do not send people you do not know information on dogs available in their area if those dogs do not have any rescue backing or screening processes to protect them. IF they are an approved adopter through a rescue you have talked to and want to adopt, that's one thing, but randomly sending dogs to people who you do not know, have never approved is poor practice.

My boyfriend George Clooney and I were just discussing this the other day. Anyone can make up anything on the internet.

Please, just read that very first post in that thread above. That will help us to understand why we should do what we should do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just don't let her have Rocco or then I would really be envious!

·
Registered
31,577 Posts
I think that song is very appropriate.

Jean...you can't have the cute rescue dude and George Clooney!!
You have to choose! Maybe you could have a contest and keep whichever one the dogs take down.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.