German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
No. Didn't really need it. Also there are people that don't like big dogs especially German Shepherds. We have some yahoo's in my development (lucky I am one house in from the end). I didn't want them saying I had a GSD people needed to watch out for. Just having the sign might set them off. All my neighbors knew Kaos was friendly. But his bark could wake the dead. So anyone thinking of breaking in tress-passing etc would think twice. I also used to walk him all the time. Word spreads quick about someone who has a big GSD. So anyone who would want to vandalize, break in etc not from around my development wouldn't take a chance....

I'll do the same with my 6 month old puppy Havoc. looks like he will be friendly also. But even though he still has the puppy bark. His barks are real loud when he hears something......

I did think about putting a sign on a basement window on either side of my house. That way it wouldn't be visible from in front of the house.....

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I have a BAD DOG sign and usually have a DOGS IN YARD sign but it broke and I have to order a new one.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes I do. I posted them because I have three dogs, and though they are always friendly to a person who comes in when I am there inviting that person in, I can't guarantee that they would not attack a person who came in while I was NOT there. I have a GSD and a Belgian/GSD mix, and their teeth are huge. Their barks are fearsome. They love us dearly. They would attack if they thought someone was a threat . . .I have no doubt of that. So: Fair warning to anyone thinking of breaking and entering. And though our neighbors have had break-ins, we never have.

I should probably put a sticker up about owning guns, too. It isn't a threat, it's a warning . . .I honestly don't want anyone to get hurt. Go rob my car. It's sitting there in the driveway and I wouldn't shoot a person robbing it. But if someone comes in my house where my family is? Big dogs and guns will be on the agenda.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We have one, but we had to replace our gate and didn't put it back up. I think the barking may be clue enough I may have dogs.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have two signs up...they are there for my protection not trespassers.

This sign didn't stop some guy coming to my door...despite the fact he was at the wrong house.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I don't.

I suppose I am not very accomodating to our deaf population. But before you opened my gate on either side of the yard you would be able to see and hear them. And even if you got inside the gate, the dogs wouldn't be able to eat you until you opened their kennels or the house up. Then you could be eaten.

But I do have a huge paw-print on my door that says, "You may get in, but you won't get out." Or something like that.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don't, because I don't have anywhere to put one. We live in a condo.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
No.

I live and lived in places that, if you post a Beware of Dog sign, it's admitting to knowing the dog is aggressive and if something happens the penalties are harsher. I also see no point in doing it, IMHO. If someone is going to try and come into my house, no sign is going to stop them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I used to have a "Beware of Dog" sign on my gate, but I took it off. I do still have several signs up, though, including a "No Trespassing" sign, a "Dogs On Premises" sign, one that says "I make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds. Can you?" for my Rattie, and "Warning Area patrolled by Mutt security" for my mutt. I do have a small "Beware of Dog" sign on my front door, but I'm going to change that one out eventually to another "Dogs on Premises" sign.

I also have grills on my bedroom windows to keep my Rattie from going through them to get to the mail carrier. He's broken the window twice and knocked out the screen a few times over the years. I finally got smart, and put the grills up a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
424 Posts
yes. always have for insurance purposes mostly..just in case...

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have a dog on premises sign that I usually have in the front door. It doesn't admit to having aggressive dogs just that they are there on the property. I'm still looking for it again since our last move though.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
kind of, my sign says "loose dog in yard", I have many customers that are lawyers and one is a circuit court judge, and all have told me at least in this state a beware of dog sign is an "admission" that you know the dog could potentially bite, I have the sign up so the cops for what ever reason don't stroll into my back yard and shoot my dogs,

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you do. lol.

>>>>> I don't. <<<<<<

I suppose I am not very accomodating to our deaf population. But before you opened my gate on either side of the yard you would be able to see and hear them. And even if you got inside the gate, the dogs wouldn't be able to eat you until you opened their kennels or the house up. Then you could be eaten.

But

>>>>>> I do have a huge paw-print on my door that says, "You may get in, but you won't get out." <<<<<<

Or something like that.

·
Registered
627 Posts
No. In Connecticut, having a sign warning others of your dog is considered acknowledging that you have an aggressive/dangerous dog. Thus if your dog ever bites someone, there is no first bite exception. I've known 2 dogs that were euthanized by animal control for their first bite because the owner had signs up. Animal control used the fact that they had a sign as evidence that the owner knew they had an aggressive dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
No, my local AC told me a "beware of dog sign", is basically admitting your dog bites.

She suggested I put up NO Trespassing signs, this way, no trespassing means just that, if you trespass on my property your breaking the law..get bit, you've trespassed.

Highly unlikely any of my dogs would "bite" a stranger on my property, they don't have access to them. I have a fenced back yard, 1/2 acre, they are never outside unattended.

I DO have one on the fence that says, "this is not a petting zoo, don't feed fingers to the animals"..as well as the no trespassing

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't.
No particular reason why, just never got one.
Never really needed one thus far.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I used to just to be safe even though my dog was never going to bite anyone. Then the mail guy wouldn't deliver mail half the time even though the dog was in the back yard and he said it was because of the sign. I had one mail guy that would stop and play with the dog every day and the other didn't even deliver half the time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
AC was called out to my place shortly after moving in when an incident involving teenagers trespassing on the property got them chased off the property by Diesel. Diesel never touched them was in line of sight the entire time and as soon as I called her name she came running back. We were outside when AC rolled up a few days later I guess the teenagers told their parents I had a vicious dog and they called. But I told Diesel to stay as the AC officer got out of the car and Diesel was laying down with her stick in her stay. I called Diesel over and she came and dropped the stick at the AC officers feet and tried to get her to throw it lol. The AC officer told me that I obviously dont have a vicious dog but to put up, "Dog on premises" signs as well as "No Trespassing signs" and also told me that the "Beware of Dog " signs was sort of omitting to the fact that you have a dangerous dog. So I put up some no trepassing signs as well as Dog on Premises signs..

I will also state that here in Canada it is LAW that you have signs stating there is a dog on the property as if someone breaks into your house and they get bit and there was no sign stating that a dog lived there you can get sued! Same with if you have say a fenced in yard and there is a huge hole in your backyard close to the fence and someone jumps over your fence lands in the hole and breaks their leg guess who is responsible if You didnt have a sign warning them of the hole? Thats right the property owner.. Isnt that really stupid?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
No signs the barking says enough.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts