German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you are out with your dogs in an off leash area (lake,park,etc) do you get annoyed when others people's dogs approach you?

I was at the lake today with my husband,our dogs,and some friends who had their dogs with them and these people were sitting on the opposite side of the lake eating lunch. They had two dogs who were very friendly,but they were letting them roam all over the place to visit everyone. We didn't mind,but there were a lot of people who didn't like these dogs running up to them and their dogs.

Even though we didn't mind these dogs coming up and visiting,it is common courtesy to keep your dogs in your area,especially if they are going to be off leash.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Not as annoyed as I get with other people's children...who are never as well-behaved as mine were. ;)

Serioulsy, though, I wouldn't get annoyed with the dogs, but I might get annoyed with the owners.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
No, but I get annoyed with the owners.

One day, I was playing ball in my yard with Hans. A guy with a mini Schnauzer passes by. Hans looks, does not make a sound. I tell him, "Watch me," and throw the ball.

Schnauzer stops by our mail box and proceeds to bark and bark. The neighbor says, "Is that a German Shepherd puppy? He gonna get biiig..."
I said, "Yes he is!" over the barking of his dog.

Hans is still quiet.

Guy begins to move on, then I see him returning. He asks, in a worried voice, as his dog is barking at an approaching Dachshund, "You ARE going to take him to obedience training, right?"

:D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
When you are out with your dogs in an off leash area (lake,park,etc) do you get annoyed when others people's dogs approach you?

I was at the lake today with my husband,our dogs,and some friends who had their dogs with them and these people were sitting on the opposite side of the lake eating lunch. They had two dogs who were very friendly,but they were letting them roam all over the place to visit everyone. We didn't mind,but there were a lot of people who didn't like these dogs running up to them and their dogs.

Even though we didn't mind these dogs coming up and visiting,it is common courtesy to keep your dogs in your area,especially if they are going to be off leash.

I would never feel comfortable letting my dogs do that, based on the fact I'm afraid something will happen to them. I wouldn't mind friendly dogs coming to visit if they were in no danger and causing no harm.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
No, but I get annoyed with the owners.

One day, I was playing ball in my yard with Hans. A guy with a mini Schnauzer passes by. Hans looks, does not make a sound. I tell him, "Watch me," and throw the ball.

Schnauzer stops by our mail box and proceeds to bark and bark. The neighbor says, "Is that a German Shepherd puppy? He gonna get biiig..."
I said, "Yes he is!" over the barking of his dog.

Hans is still quiet.

Guy begins to move on, then I see him returning. He asks, in a worried voice, as his dog is barking at an approaching Dachshund, "You ARE going to take him to obedience training, right?"

:D
I would have asked him how the obedience training went for him and his dog:D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would be royally pissed off about the roaming dogs coming near my dogs. I would have a lot of nasty things to say to the owners about it.
Since its a public place there wouldn't be much you could do except leave. Dogs are not allowed on beaches where I live, unless its the dog beach. If its the dog beach, dogs are everywhere and there would be no way to control other dogs roaming. If it was something I didn't like, I would just have to leave, because they won't.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Most public places have leash laws and even if this particular place didn't, I would still be pissed off and get all over the irresponsible owners. Their dogs couild get hit by car or start a dog fight. This was not listed as a dog park so they don't have the right to let their dogs run all over.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I would be royally pissed off about the roaming dogs coming near my dogs. I would have a lot of nasty things to say to the owners about it.
If there isn't a sign posted that dogs should be on leash...you can't really be mad at people because your dogs are better behaved than their dogs. Sometimes we set such high expectations for other people and their dogs, that if they aren't training them for the next obedience trial and its not a UD dog by the age of 4, the owners aren't doing enough and don't deserve to own a dog.

Now...if its an area where the dogs are supposed to be on leash (according to law) and my dog is on leash while theirs are off and bothering me/my dog I'll have an issue with it. Sometimes we want to have our freedoms with our dog, but don't want the other people to have the same freedoms, kind of interesting when you look at it that way.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Most public places have leash laws and even if this particular place didn't, I would still be pissed off and get all over the irresponsible owners. Their dogs couild get hit by car or start a dog fight. This was not listed as a dog park so they don't have the right to let their dogs run all over.
If there is no sign posted they have just as much right as the next person to allow their dogs off leash. Maybe its a private lake and not considered a public place. I doubt they would get hit by a car on a beach and if a dog fight started, maybe its time for a "dogs must be leashed sign". This would be determined by the county/state that the lake is on, maybe it is dog friendly..I would love to find one of those that isn't just all dogs:)

·
Registered
457 Posts
If there is no sign posted they have just as much right as the next person to allow their dogs off leash. Maybe its a private lake and not considered a public place. I doubt they would get hit by a car on a beach and if a dog fight started, maybe its time for a "dogs must be leashed sign". This would be determined by the county/state that the lake is on, maybe it is dog friendly..I would love to find one of those that isn't just all dogs:)
Luckily where I live dogs must be on a six foot leash unless otherwise stated. Because yes it would annoy me if people let their dogs run around off leash and bother me if I am anywhere other than an off leash park.

That being said I do not mind seeing dogs off leash in areas that are not meant for off leash such as hiking (very strict laws about dogs on leash for hiking here) as long as they are under control and the owners can keep them from running up to me and my dogs.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This particular lake is dog friendly,even though its not designated for dogs. It's a 100 arce property is the middle of a residential neighborhood,and is quite nice. They don't have any posted regulations except for the doggie bag dispenser for pickup. Most people that I have run into with dogs either have them leashed or have excellent recall on them if they wander too far. But of course you have those who just zone out and let their dogs do whatever they want. Personally I always make sure that my dogs stay within our area unless we are the only ones out there,but I still make sure they don't go too far from me. The areas that I am referring to are places such as the lake or parks that are for the public,but don't have restrictions on dogs.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
This particular lake is dog friendly,even though its not designated for dogs. It's a 100 arce property is the middle of a residential neighborhood,and is quite nice. They don't have any posted regulations except for the doggie bag dispenser for pickup. Most people that I have run into with dogs either have them leashed or have excellent recall on them if they wander too far. But of course you have those who just zone out and let their dogs do whatever they want. Personally I always make sure that my dogs stay within our area unless we are the only ones out there,but I still make sure they don't go too far from me. The areas that I am referring to are places such as the lake or parks that are for the public,but don't have restrictions on dogs.
We don't have anything like that where I live:(

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sometimes we want to have our freedoms with our dog, but don't want the other people to have the same freedoms, kind of interesting when you look at it that way.
This is true,even though we don't want to admit it sometimes:blush:

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Generally no. If we are walking, I see other dogs around as training opportunities, either to heel, down, stay or socialize.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I think around where I live, dogs have to be leashed everywhere except your own property unless posted otherwise. That's for my entire county and the country directly adjacent to the south.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Unleashed dogs in our local park make me crazy. We have leash laws. There is an off leash park within a mile of the park. I really get angry at the entitled people who seem to think that the law doesn't apply to them. Havoc is pretty reactive and I work with him on ignoring other dogs, but there is not a lot that I can do when someone's little furball runs right up to him.

The prize for stupid goes to "guy with an aussie mix." We always say that it is not the dog, it's the owner and this jerk was a shining example. I'm walking Havs and this guy is throwing a tennis ball with a chuckit. He's not paying attention to anything else in the park. I'm coming close to him and he pivots. He's about to throw the ball right across Havoc's path. I yelled, "Don't do that! Loose dogs make my dog crazy!" The guy yells back. "That"s not my fault!"

I replied that it was his fault as he was breaking the law and the off lead park was east of us, bu I frequently encounter entitled dog owners.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when other dogs approach Havoc try to use those times as a
training moment (if possible). the guy with the chuckit, is he stupid
for playing chuckit, is he stupid because he doesn't have a reactive dog?
you were approaching the guy and the dog. could you have walked
behind them or away from the path of the ball? could you have waited
him to chuck the ball then continued? you were out in the open.
could you circle wide? avoidance.

Unleashed dogs in our local park make me crazy. We have leash laws. There is an off leash park within a mile of the park. I really get angry at the entitled people who seem to think that the law doesn't apply to them. Havoc is pretty reactive and I work with him on ignoring other dogs, but there is not a lot that I can do when someone's little furball runs right up to him.

The prize for stupid goes to "guy with an aussie mix." We always say that it is not the dog, it's the owner and this jerk was a shining example. I'm walking Havs and this guy is throwing a tennis ball with a chuckit. He's not paying attention to anything else in the park. I'm coming close to him and he pivots. He's about to throw the ball right across Havoc's path. I yelled, "Don't do that! Loose dogs make my dog crazy!" The guy yells back. "That"s not my fault!"

I replied that it was his fault as he was breaking the law and the off lead park was east of us, bu I frequently encounter entitled dog owners.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts