German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you free feed or leave food and water accessible for your dog all the time? How do you feed your dog?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I leave water and dry food out all the time- Stosh is not a big eater and will stop when he's had enough. I make two meals by adding different things to the dry and he'll finish most of the meal and leave dry out overnight. Sometimes he'll eat during the night and sometimes not.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I feed raw and I weigh out her food. I feed 12 hrs apart. Once around 8 a.m. then once around 8 p.m. However, I do leave her with water all day long. Dogs can eat out of boredom and CAN overeat (depending on the dog) so I think its best to keep them on a diet. I do fluctuate how much she eats though depending on our activity level for that day.

Also, I think if you free feed that will leave your dog with less food drive if he/she is always satisfied with food. Feeding at 8 a.m. leaves her a LITTLE hungry by the time 5 pm rolls around being a perfect time to get some training in. This works for us not saying it will be perfect for you though. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe in free freeding. I believe in three meals a day til a certain age.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I have three dogs. If I were to free feed one would be too big to walk through a door and the other two would be the next thing on his plate.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
No I do not free feed.

Both of my dogs get fed at 5am and 5pm. My GSD gets 3.5 cups of TOTW a day and my GSD/Husky mix gets 3 cups of TOTW a day.

They are fed several feet away from each other because my GSD/Husky mix is food aggressive. I stand between them while they eat incase I need to break up a fight.

Water is always available in my house because my cats refuse to drink out of their own water dish, they drink out of the dogs water dish. I have to watch my GSD/Husky mix with water because he will drink, and drink, and drink, and drink..............until he explodes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
We free feed. I stopped for a few months but the only difference I noticed was that they ate too fast when I put their food down.

Weights are good. Annie will always work for food, Harley is just as happy working for a ball throw or tug so that's not an issue either. Free feeding probably isn't an option with raw.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Free and accessible water is a no-brainer. They have always access to water but I do not free-feed. They'd eat until they'd explode from overfeeding.

They get two meals. One in the morning and one in the evening. Times vary... though...

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Used to once upon a time and we had porkers. It took me forever to convince DH to pick the food up and they would get used to a schedule. Now we only have one porker instead of 3.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Yes-he always has access to fresh clean water-but I do not free feed at all.
He's fed 3 times a day.
I also trained mine to sit on a rug in the kitchen and wait while his meals are being prepared. He just sits there patiently waiting for his release command. It's worked out very well and meal times are always stressfree:D

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I don't like free feeding, besides the possible weight issues you can't tell if your dog isn't eating as much as normal which could be the first sign of an illness.

In 2009 I did not have free access to water available. Water restriction was Logan's treatment for SIADH. After he passed free access was returned.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
water access all the time. free feeding is a no no here. They would eat themselves to death and us out of house and home.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
He basically eats half his bowl in the morning and the other half at 9 pm.
Same here, they don't spend the day grazing.
I was told a long time ago that if you start out free feeding a GSD they don't overeat. For us this has been true. I would guess if you tried it after feeding on a schedule it might not work as well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Access to water all the time but on a feeding schedule 3x a day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts