German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Emma learned about wasps today:shocked::eek::sick::(
She is fine, but hopefully wiser.

Things are warming up and Emma discovered a ground wasp nest during a potty break, She is now 5 mounts old and about 45 lbs.

To make it short I warned her with a "Leave It" ( do you think it will help with the command - probably not) - she was batting at them coming out of the ground ( I am highly allergic to the stings, so could not grab her). Its tough to describe the situation. She got stung, then all H happened

She was in a lot of pain and came to me yelping badly (screaming). I picked her up and quickly brought her inside. I was probably worked up as much as she was trying to figure out where she got stung.

I got some ice and found the stinger in the webbing, and was able to pull it out, but Emma was really freaked with the pain and messing ( I had to hold her down - not good). I was freaked too. I got slightly bit in the process, but could understand. Got the ice on the site and held it. I also gave Emma a cube to chew on. Slowly she calmed down. I then made up a paste of meat tenderizer and warped the paw.

Then called the Vet. Was told as long as there was no excessive swelling (keep the ice on it) and to watch her breathing and temp, then everything should be good. Also was told to give her 1/2 of a Bennadrille (sp) tab. She did not comment on the meat tenderizer - I have done that for years with my kids - reduces the swelling as it breaks down the poison. Was this correct advise?

Within an hour Emma was back to her obnoxious self:D

But I haft to admit I was in pain and in tears during the time I held and comforted her for the hour. I am still upset it happened.

Nest has been eliminated. Neighbor came over after hearing the commotion. Ill get with him a dinner gift card.

I cant believe how much I have bonded with her:wub: I have never felt this way with any of my previous dogs:confused:. Is this normal?:crazy:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glad she's okay! I'm dreading the wasps coming out, which should be very soon, because I know my Mia is going to chase them and end up getting stung. :(

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
We have bumblebees around here and they like to hover right in front of you and buz your head.

I keep a can of wasp/hornet spray handy. The can shoots a tight patterned cone about 12'. Knocks 'em down every time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts