German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you feed the ones in olive oil or water? How many per day?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Do you feed the ones in olive oil or water? How many per day?
Miikka LOVES, LOVES, LOVES sardines! I give them to her once per week. I normally buy the ones packed in water but I have inadvertently purchased the oil-packed and they didn’t seem to bother her. I have also fed her canned jack mackerel. She loves that as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how many are you feeding at a time? Do you use additional fish oil daily

·
Registered
819 Posts
how many are you feeding at a time? Do you use additional fish oil daily

I give each dog about a half can per week. Miikka gets a little more just because she's a bigger dog ;-)

·
Registered
33,003 Posts
Yes, Jax gets at least 1 can per week, usually with mackerel. Sardines have alot of sodium added so find the ones with no salt added.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks :D are you also giving additional fish oil or just the sardines

·
Registered
33,003 Posts
Jax gets 2000 mg of fish oil/day. But that is because, according to one vet, she has mild HD and she was bunny hopping. Otherwise, I would give her 1000mg/day of fish oil.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
My dogs get fish once or twice week - sardines, Jack Mackerel or salmon (I rotate the types) all packed in water. If I think there is too much sodium I rinse it off before serving. I feed it the same as other food - by weight, so Anja gets 8 oz, Conor gets about 15 oz, per time. Sometimes I add some pureed veggies.....they love it!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes.. Sardines packed in water 1x week. Salmon 1x week. they have had Mackeral before too.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you just put them in with their regular food?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have tried the Raw fish.... and my dogs will not touch it... they absolutely LOVE canned Mackerel but it upsets their stomachs like crazy. I personally haven't tried Sardines just because of the stomach sensitivity ( though, that is the ONLY thing that causes it), but I just ran out of the Salmon Oil I was adding to their diets.. and Cullen is scratching up a storm so I need to get some more!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I feed sardines once a month when I give the dogs their Heartguard. Hondo refuses to eat Heartguard, but I'll pull it into tiny pieces and hide it in the sardine. They can mask the smell of anything.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Molly gets a can a week of the packed in water no added salt ( in one meal), she loves them. I also give her fish oil daily.

·
Registered
353 Posts
might be a silly question but how about the bones? Do they come cleaned? I have never fed any kind of fish to goofy...mackerel might work...maybe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts