German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
It is harder to make a dog fat on a raw diet. Unlike a kibble diet, there are little to no carbs in a raw diet. Dogs do not process or utilize carbs like we do. Fat and protein are energy sources for dogs. Dogs have no use for carbohydrates or grain and kibble fed dogs are far more likely to become overweight than raw fed dogs. Is it possible for a raw fed dog to become fat? Sure, with large amounts of food and little to no exercise. I am feeding Boru a little more than 3 lbs of raw meat a day currently. He is very lean, very strong and very energetic. Dogs burn more calories over the winter to keep warm then they do over the summer or in warmer months. In the summer he eats between 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 lbs per day. I watch my dogs muscle tone and weight daily. Although, I do not actually weigh my dogs I can tell by their body tone if they need more or less food based on time of year and activity level.

I keep my dogs lean and in shape. One of my pet peeves is a fat dog, especially an overweight GSD. I suppose it is both, the diet and the activity level of the dogs and owners that take the time to feed raw.
That makes sense. Carbs sure make me fat in a hurry lol

I'm with you, I don't want fat dogs either. And kibble or anything else fed dogs do not need to be fat. I bet another factor is that anybody going to the trouble to feed raw I would presume really cares about their dogs' health. Because why else would you do it. And if you care that much about your dog's health, I doubt you are going to let them get fat, because people who care about that stuff keep their dogs at a healthy weight.

Now, if only someone would be in charge of MY portion sizes LOL

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
I seem to be able to make dogs fat on raw. Heck, I am able to make my lactating females fat. LOL Nice thing, though, is that I have found it much easier to thin them down without starving them.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts