German Shepherds Forum banner

Do You Expect Your Dogs To Allow Kids To Do Anything To Them?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 73.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another forum, but wanted some opinions up here.There was a behaviorist on my local news today who was saying that a dog is not sound if they don't let a child hug them, pull on their tail or climb/jump all over them. I don't agree with this and think that it can lead to kids thinking that they can do this with every dog.

So do you expect your dogs to allow kids to do everything to them?

·
Registered
482 Posts
No way, any dog can have a bad reaction no matter how stable they are. The kids that are around my dog are told very clearly what they can do (pet, give treat, throw toy) and if they do anything other than that, the kid is not permitted to play with Diesel (which hurts his feelings more than theirs!)

·
5,627 Posts
No. I would expect my dog to not react other than walking away if a child does these things ONCE but I do not expect them to put up with it on a regular basis. And the child would be addressed and managed by me to avoid any issues.

All beings - dog, cat, human, etc - deserves respect of their personal space. Would you be mad at a person for being upset about being picked on and their space invaded by another person?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I do not expect my dog to be OK with being physically hurt (pulling tails, poking eyes, jumping on the dogs back) or teased by a child or anyone. At the end of the day regardless of how well behaved he is around children he's still an animal and to a degree unpredictable. We do not have small children in the house but have guests that come over with their kids, the neighbors kids ask to come play ball with him in our yard sometimes and he's great, but I supervise, always. I have before said, no don't pull on him like that, etc. I give direction & stop behavior that I don't like to see. I hate to see some kids around animals.

My husbands buddy was over with his son who has a toddler. Rusty was laying on the floor and the little boy tripped and fell right on Rusty. Rusty yelped, jumped up and started circling the little boy licking him. I was pleased with his response. Sometimes if we have guests over with a lot of little ones running around I crate Rusty.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
No. I would expect my dog to not react other than walking away if a child does these things ONCE but I do not expect them to put up with it on a regular basis. And the child would be addressed and managed by me to avoid any issues.

All beings - dog, cat, human, etc - deserves respect of their personal space. Would you be mad at a person for being upset about being picked on and their space invaded by another person?
This.

·
Registered
32,403 Posts
No. I expect your child to have some manners.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I expect my dogs to be able to walk politely past children at a five-foot distance, and as that is as close as I ever intend to get to them, that's all I need from the mutt monsters. ;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

this

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Nope, but I expect 'em to be supremely tolerant of children, especially the very young. Additionally, they must let me intervene with the children (or parents), & not take it on themselves to 'correct' a child.

One of the most important traits to me is a dog's ability to discern child from adult & act appropriately. Not all dogs have this but it's something I treasure & seek out. It should be, IMO, common to the GSD breed, much like genetic obedience. In many ways it lies at the very heart of what a GSD is.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Nope, but I expect 'em to be supremely tolerant of children, especially the very young. Additionally, they must let me intervene with the children (or parents), & not take it on themselves to 'correct' a child.

One of the most important traits to me is a dog's ability to discern child from adult & act appropriately. Not all dogs have this but it's something I treasure & seek out. It should be, IMO, common to the GSD breed, much like genetic obedience. In many ways it lies at the very heart of what a GSD is.
this

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Very well said. Children should be taught manners. Something that is severely lacking in our society today. They should be taught to respect any animal.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't agree that every dog needs to accept everything, but every owner needs to fully understand their dogs limits and be responsible. My 10yo heeler/lab cross has put up with some extremely inappropriate behavior from children, God bless her, and while I strive to help her avoid it, I trust her completely. Both of our full heeler females were also trustworthy, but unlike the labx, would eventually get up and leave when they'd had enough, which was a sound decision on their part. Fortunately there weren't many of these situations but some parents are simply clueless. OTOH, as our female Golden aged, we trusted her less as she could be cranky and short-tempered when she was having an off day.

My girls were raised knowing how to treat animals but sadly some children don't. My oldest daughter was bit by a Spaniel that, unbeknownst to us at the time, had been taped in a box during a birthday party and tortured as the parents laughed. The father was a police officer :mad: So at the next home, my daughter at 4 was simply standing near the dog and got bit. I was right there, and it could have been much worse if I hadn't. Once I knew the dogs history, I made sure he wasn't penalized as long as he could be kept away from children.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
I never take a chance with WD. We don't have small kids anymore and I don't know any little one he can "practice" with. So I have taught him "leave it" in the presence of kids. He was fine with the only kid that visited here when I asked this 4 year old boy if he wanted to throw balls for WD and they were instant friends. I manage it very carefully because WD has a good prey drive.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I don't expect anyone, human or dog, to put up with ANYTHING. But I do want/expect my dog to be tolerant of children. My labs are. Heidi, not so much and that's why she is crated if there are children around that are not completely dog saavy. It hurts her feelings, but is better than having an incident.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Yep. My kids are not allowed to purposely hurt or bug the dogs. But I absolutely expect my dogs to walk away or be tolerant if my little one falls or pulls some hair on accident. It's very rare any of my kids hurt the dogs, in fact I can't think of a time. Oh wait my 1 year old whacked rogue with a PVC pipe once, a small one considering he's only one and happened to grab it in the garbage. Not very hard and I was right there to grab it and intervene. Rogue just got up and walked away from him. She loves kids and is amazing with them.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to add that I think a certain level of 'roughing up' should be tolerated by kids if it's an accident, but people shouldn't allow their kids or any kids to constantly harass the dogs. I find that people with large dogs especially think that every one of them wants to be ridden like a pony, dressed up, or constantly climbed on. The dog may tolerate it, but they shouldn't have to IMO.

·
Registered
938 Posts
The idea that dogs should tolerate strange children performing behaviors that both humans AND dogs consider socially unacceptable doesn't make sense to me. It's great if you have a dog like that, but children need to be taught to respect an animal's space.

I expect Gypsy to sit quietly and accept petting, but that's it. She likes children a lot and would probably tolerate more, but just like I don't allow her to run up and jump on people's kids, parents shouldn't allow their kids to rush up to a dog uninvited and start hanging all over it.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Many GSDs don't mind to play ball with children, don't mind being tossed, pushed, sit onto, fed and walked by children, but they hate being, what you call, "petted" when they want to sleep in particular. For many of them "petting"="pestering", some will bite just indicating "I'm not the one you can mess with". You dog should always have some place in the house to hide from children's noisy games.
Many children surprise on hearing that the dog "might not like it" and refuse to believe you, they want to check it for themselves. Then, better to make sure that your words were understood. Explain, tell stories, lie if necessary.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I expect my dogs to be able to walk politely past children at a five-foot distance, and as that is as close as I ever intend to get to them, that's all I need from the mutt monsters. ;)
Yes this is my expectation. Instead of mutt monsters I think of them more as aliens though.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I only expect my animals (not just my dogs) to put up with so much.

My 4 and 6 year old niece and nephew were out visiting for two weeks here recently.

We didn't expect them to do any of the following, but we still made it clear that they were NOT to pull on the dogs' tails, ears, or fur, jump on them, step on them, etc.
Obviously, they were never left unattended with any of the dogs.

Sania (our old, grumpy lab) wasn't around them hardly at all. We don't really trust her in her older age because she gets very testy very easily. We know this, so we didn't take any chances with that.

Our pit bull knows the difference between kids and adults. She'll bulldoze an adult and flatten you in no time flat. She sees a little kid and she is the most gentle thing you'd ever seen. I don't doubt for a moment that she'd put up with tail/ear pulling, but that doesn't mean we'd allow the kids to do it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts