German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. I mean, GSDs are a very popular and wanted breed. So do you ever think or worry about someone stealing your GSD?

That's one thing I'm kinda concerned about when I get my puppy. When I'm gone, I plan on leaving her in a crate, but what if someone breaks into my rental? That's why I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to find a good neighborhood, but that still may not be enough to not be concerned.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm with Deuce, I never leave my dogs outside unattended, if in a car, it's always locked, my house is locked when I'm gone..

I worry about fire:(, theft,,I worry:)

I think most times, a barking dog is a good deterrent.

My aussies would most likely go with anyone..Masi if off the property, you'd have to knock her out to steal her, there's no way she would go willingly and would most likely bite someone if they tried taking her out of my car.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I'm with Deuce, I never leave my dogs outside unattended, if in a car, it's always locked, my house is locked when I'm gone..

I worry about fire:(, theft,,I worry:)

I think most times, a barking dog is a good deterrent.

My aussies would most likely go with anyone..Masi if off the property, you'd have to knock her out to steal her, there's no way she would go willingly and would most likely bite someone if they tried taking her out of my car.
Me too! The boys are never outside alone, I always stay out there with them, I dont care what kind of weather.

I always worry about fires.

The thought of someone stealing ANY of my animals scares me! Rogue would not go with them, he would put up a fight, he would probably end up saving all of my animals from being stolen because he would attack the theif.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I don't worry about it. I don't put her in a position to be stolen, unless it is from me on a walk.

I did worry about it when she was a puppy and some random guy was asking me questions about her. The nature of his questions put me on alert and made me think that he was not researching to buy.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i worry, i have many people ask me about zero because hes white, and you never know who follows you to your car or house.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You never know about anyone anymore, really. I think if you use common sense and follow your gut you should be OK.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i worry more about dogs being stolen in parking lots, as this has been going on quite a bit for the past several years.

this is why i NEVER leave my dog in a car unattended while going into a store. if i know i will need to leave my car while i am out and my dog cant come in with me, she stays at home.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
No. The take home car parked out front keeps people off the property. And our dogs are very social when we're around, but very anti-social with people they don't know if we aren't standing right there with them.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My experience is that most people I've interacted with fear GSDs. Nara is a big baby (although can switch into the perfect guard dog if necessary) but she's also a big deterrent. So I guess the thief I'd have to worry about is someone with GSD experience who doesn't fear them, or at least knows how to handle one. I've never worried about our dogs being stolen. I think the majority of of thieves out there relate a GSD to a police K9, and that's the last dog on the planet they want to run in to.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I did when they were little, now everyone's pretty afraid, especially at home. Stosh looks fierce and wouldn't go to anyone.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Dogs can be stolen anywhere.

I've heard stories (from the people it happened to) of dogs being stolen off a farm, and one Puli puppy was stolen when the thief climbed through a kitchen window to get it. Left the other 2 dogs. I've heard some nearly stolen stories on this website.

Everybody loves Balto, so I try to keep an eye on him as much as possible.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
My experience is that most people I've interacted with fear GSDs. Nara is a big baby (although can switch into the perfect guard dog if necessary) but she's also a big deterrent. So I guess the thief I'd have to worry about is someone with GSD experience who doesn't fear them, or at least knows how to handle one. I've never worried about our dogs being stolen. I think the majority of of thieves out there relate a GSD to a police K9, and that's the last dog on the planet they want to run in to.
All good points. And, I too worry most about people who are experienced with GSD's.

In public, people react to Mac in 1 of 2 drastically different ways. There are those who say "oh what a cute puppy" (he's 75 lbs) and actually approach us to say hello and there are those who say "that dog is huge!" and walk quickly away.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
No. The take home car parked out front keeps people off the property. And our dogs are very social when we're around, but very anti-social with people they don't know if we aren't standing right there with them.
Same here.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm just curious. I mean, GSDs are a very popular and wanted breed. So do you ever think or worry about someone stealing your GSD?

That's one thing I'm kinda concerned about when I get my puppy. When I'm gone, I plan on leaving her in a crate, but what if someone breaks into my rental? That's why I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to find a good neighborhood, but that still may not be enough to not be concerned.
I think you're smart to be cautious...not only for your new puppy but also for yourself. When I lived alone in an apartment I felt safest in a building that required a code to enter, on the second floor, with an on site manager. However, a second floor apartment would be a hassle with a puppy who pee's a lot. Good luck & be safe.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I worry about fire more than I worry about theft. Sobacca is enough/scary of a bark to deter someone from breaking in my house. But I worry about fire....because Minna is in a crate when I'm not home, she'd have no escape. At least Sobacca could maybe get out of the house. We need to put up on those fire things saying what pets are in the house.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it any more than any other dog. I hate to say it, but GSD's are a dime a dozen. I'd be more concerned if it was some rare, hard to find dog that went for big $$ and you never found in shelters. As it stands now, people can go down to the local pound and get a GSD for $80 any day of the week. I can't imgaine the "black market" for GSD's is very high. Or at least any more or less high than labs, goldens, boxers, etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't worry about it. I don't put her in a position to be stolen, unless it is from me on a walk.

I did worry about it when she was a puppy and some random guy was asking me questions about her. The nature of his questions put me on alert and made me think that he was not researching to buy.
This is me, I had a guy following me in his truck one night that kept pushing me to sell/give her to him, until I lied and told him she was spayed (she was only about 3-4 months old at the time). I really don't know if it was me saying she was spayed, or because I walked to a where I know that a cop sits in his car watching every night (or both), all I know is when I waved at the cop, he took off (gave me the creeps for days afterwards though)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't worry about the average person, as they are typically afraid of a GSD.
My dog is social, but aloof.....a therapy dog, but trains in SchH. She can go from being a social butterfly to a hold & bark.....but, there is always a but!
There are two kinds of folks, who I believe, could take my dog..person "A" is sweet, unintimidating, talks is a soft voice, is confident, and knows how to approach a strange dog. person "B" is an experienced trainer/handler, with presence, in command. Anyone else, who may not approach her quite the right way, would have their hands full!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts