German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

So I got a puppy thats 6 months. Me and my SO are quiet young (23 and 24).

Don't get me wrong, I love our puppy and I cant think to rehome her. Ever.

However, a part of me sometimes regreat getting her because I no longer can travel, mostly because I dont know anyone I trust that can keep her for 1-2 weeks.

Am I alone with this feeling sometimes?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I sure don't regret it. Got my first GSD with my boyfriend in high school. He's four years old now, have two more... If I travel I will either pay someone I trust to board them or take them with. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No, I never regret it. Is it always easy? No, it's not all sunshine and rainbows that's for sure. But the joy and happiness they bring me far outweighs the downfalls :)

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
it is always hard to leave your dog. i would not leave a puppy with anyone. other than the breeder. i can see hoe it ties you down a bit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know how you feel and would not feel bad about your feelings, although regret would be a strong word for me to use, yes sometimes it can be a pain owning a dog. Like you I would never get rid of my boy and I fortunately have a place to board mine that I trust.

I do understand the frustration though of always having to worry about getting home to the dog, finding a trustworthy boarding facility, the cost of boarding, etc. All the things that go along with owning a dog. I ,however, would not change it for the world and the pros of having a dog outweigh the cons for me.

My advice would be to keep searcing for a place you can board your dog that you can trust. I know it's hard and trust me I toured many kennels before I found one that I liked. Good ones are out there. Maybe someone in your area on here can recommend one.

Hang in there and good luck

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I do get what you are saying. I got my first GSD when I was about 22 years old. It was hard, it made renting hard, it made travel hard. She also became quite dog aggressive and at the time (long ago) I did not know that I could work on this with a trainer... it was pre-internet (oh god I'm old!). Anyway, I have never looked back and have always had a dog and usually multiple dogs in the house since that time nearly 30 years!
My advice is to train, train, socialize. A 6 month old will rule your world for a time. But if you invest now and you have a trustworthy dog in 8 months or so, you will be able to travel and get back some of your old life again. Just make the commitment to train, socialize and create a structured world for her now. Make sure you are crate training. That ends up being so convenient if you travel or take her somewhere new.

Good luck, it is worth it. My first dog was a GSD and now, like I said..24 years later I have a Dutchie and am at least with you in spirit... he is 7 months and rules my world but I know it is worth the investment.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Never. When we travel we take him with us, and if we want to travel in the future my parents will babysit him. To be honest, my parents are the only people I have ever trusted to look after him. Haha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im glad Im not alone with my feelings.

She is fully crate trained now. Tho hard to socialize her when I cant find any classes that has any spot for us :/ all of our friends have small dogs and she has atleast 10x their energy :p

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I think regret is not the word I would use. But yes, sometimes my life would be easier if I did not have dogs, and sometimes I get annoyed that I have to revolve my life around them.

It would be nice to be able to leave from work and get a drink with friends, but I can't cause I have to let my dogs out.

It would be nice to be able to take a spontaneous trip for a weekend.

It would be nice to not have to vacuum constantly.

It would be nice to not spend 150 bucks a month on dog food.

But is IS nice to have a pup great me at the door every evening.

I love the way they look at me!

I love having a cold nose and warm body snuggle up on a cold night.

I love the amazing friends I have met through the dogs.

And the endless joy each dog has brought me.

So I don't regret them. But sometimes, sometimes.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Im glad Im not alone with my feelings.

She is fully crate trained now. Tho hard to socialize her when I cant find any classes that has any spot for us :/ all of our friends have small dogs and she has atleast 10x their energy :p
You know that you don't have to socialize her by letting her play with other dogs, right?

Take her out to a pet store. Walk around inside with some treats, proofing sit/down/stay/focus with distractions. Treat her when she sees other dogs (look at that training) to prevent reactive behavior later. This will wear her out faster than playing will, 9 times out of 10. You're working her BRAIN, and she's getting used to all of the sites/sounds/smells and what is expected of her everywhere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know that you don't have to socialize her by letting her play with other dogs, right?

Take her out to a pet store. Walk around inside with some treats, proofing sit/down/stay/focus with distractions. Treat her when she sees other dogs (look at that training) to prevent reactive behavior later. This will wear her out faster than playing will, 9 times out of 10. You're working her BRAIN, and she's getting used to all of the sites/sounds/smells and what is expected of her everywhere.
English is not my mother language so I use the wrong terms sometimes.
By socialize I thought with other dogs.

It's hard for us because we do not own a car and the area I live at is.. wierd. Mostly old people that get really scared when our puppy barks at their dog.

We do train her by taking her places, smells and tastes. But meeting other dogs is harder :p

I wouldnt say I regreat it either but I do miss the spontaneous things I no longer can do.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
English is not my mother language so I use the wrong terms sometimes.
By socialize I thought with other dogs.

It's hard for us because we do not own a car and the area I live at is.. wierd. Mostly old people that get really scared when our puppy barks at their dog.

We do train her by taking her places, smells and tastes. But meeting other dogs is harder :p

I wouldnt say I regreat it either but I do miss the spontaneous things I no longer can do.
I understand. :)

Just wanted you to realize that she doesn't NEED that other play with other dogs. Seeing them from a distance and learning that they are no threat and how to act around them (and respond to commands in their presence) is much more important.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
regreat getting her because I no longer can travel
You simply imagine a problem, when there is none. There are professional trusting kennels with a vet ( dog temporary stays, which are really of a dog hotel type, how entertaining time will be for your dog depends on your wallet), ask for recommendations, and, as sooner you start training her to wait for you in there - the better. Leave her for a weekend for the start, later in her life she would stand longer periods. That is not a problem, nothing can be a problem, provided your dog is well socialized with people and other creatures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You simply imagine a problem, when there is none. There are professional trusting kennels with a vet ( dog temporary stays, which are really of a dog hotel type, how entertaining time will be for your dog depends on your wallet), ask for recommendations, and, as sooner you start training her to wait for you in there - the better. Leave her for a weekend for the start, later in her life she would stand longer periods. That is not a problem, nothing can be a problem, provided your dog is well socialized with people and other creatures.
At what age do you think I can start leaving her at a kennel then?
The problem is that I do not live in a great big town with alot of options. There is like 1 here :<

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
The problem is that I do not live in a great big town with alot of options. There is like 1 here :<
Your puppy age 3 months for a short period. Make sure they have a vet, they will walk and play with your puppy during the day, she would be kenneled indoors ( if she is not adapted to live outdoors to avoid her getting cold). Would you leave your own food with them, or they will feed what they have - is up to you.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looking back with the perspective of my age--I'm 45--I know what you are feeling. When i was 21 I bought my first GSD--my family had owned GSD's since before I was born--and as a single person in college on my own, it did make things harder in a lot of ways. Renting, vet expenses, freedom to travel spontaneously etc. were all factors. I did have housemates who would care for her overnight as necessary since I returned the favor to them and I did trust them for that short period.

But looking back at the love that dog provided and her companionship--I wouldn't do it differently if I had it to do over. In fact, she converted my boyfriend at the time (now my husband of 20 years) to a love of GSD's. I did make the mistake of leaving her at a kennel that wasn't right for her and she developed some pretty serious anxiety as a result. But when I lost her at age 13, I did get another GSD...and after I lost him in late February 2013, I'm now finally looking at another.

I think you need to think creatively about your travel plans to see if your pup could go with you, find a kennel to board her--as long as you trust them--and find friends who'd be willing to take her for short visits...and then get her used to the visits at those places so that she's familiar with them. Good luck!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've questioned my sanity at times but I've never had second thoughts about bringing either of them home. At first it made going places difficult but people are now used to me either showing up with the dogs or not staying long because I have to get home. For long distance trips find someone you trust or a good kennel...my parents have become great dog sitters, my oldest tries to leave with them every time they come visit I have a feeling she gets a little spoiled there.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Exactly - or you are looking for an excuse to give up your dog.
Also, instead of regreat - I think you meant regret

You mentioned not having a car but wanting to be spontaneous, are you in an area with good public transportation? any of it pet friendly, can you take your dog?
There are many pet friendly travel websites, not sure where you are located though so I won't make any references yet.

·
Registered
529 Posts
No. The majority of our vacations are either big family trips to places we can take the dogs and enjoy the outdoors or trips to dog sports venues. DH and I are thinking about a trip to Hawaii for our 25th but we have older kids and they will care for the dogs if we go.:D

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
don't think she is looking for a reason to rehome her dog, but rather adjusting to owning a pet. at least this is what i hope. it is an adjustment and hope she is finding some help here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts