German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pups is hurt.
And I'm tired. We are so, so fortunate, because we have a really lovely dog, and an income that will allow us to pay for her health problems. I know we're fortunate, but still-
Giardia. SIBO. Degloved.
More SIBO. And more SIBO. And then training issues because we had to keep her at home so much because she was so sick. We've worked hard all winter and spring to train and socialize, and it *is* rewarding, and more importantly, working, and our little girl is becoming quite a good healthy citizen. We were looking forward to a summer of outdoor fun with hikes and rivers with the little girl.

And now we're looking at a torn CCL and meniscus. And I had them xray her hips while they were at it, and one is very good, and the other...isn't.

Yeah, I'll take a little cheese with my whine tonight. My poor little puppy.

(kicks in the butt just as welcome as shoulder patting and "there theres..")

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yep....there there....

Hope it gets better for you and pup!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'd rather go with the there there's and shoulder pats because my Apollo was sick for at least two months with puppy strangles, so we had to keep him in. Now we're playing catch up with his socialization. He's a good dog, but he gets very excited when he sees new people and other dogs. But we're working on it, and he's getting better. Hope your pup gets well!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
OH my gosh! I have found my soul mate - pano, sibo, pano, pano, sibo, anaphalatic reaction to bee sting, sibo, uti (took the vet months to get the right meds to clear it), allergies, sibo......now a torn cruciate! No kick in the butt from me, just a

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I can't imagine anyone wanting to give kicks in the butt - You've had a rough haul and still have her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overwhelmed and tired - Yep makes perfect sense.
theretherethere

·
Registered
15,940 Posts
Do you really need a kick in the butt?

I think you need a well-puppy! Come to think of it, that WILL be a kick in the butt because she will run you ragged!

ACL/miniscus issues didn't hit us until 7 or 8 - but boy was it tough. I really hated loosing the time with my dog because of her restricted activity. And, yes, once we moved down here it was one thing after another...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have a kick in the butt and it is aimed at making you realise you need a pat on the back. After all this, you are heading towards getting a healthy pup, well on the way to being a great dog. You know at least one hip is good - the other may be iffy but, with some supplements, and care you may never have any symptoms.

By all means get some sleep .... it sounds as if you need it, but then wake up to a brand new day .... filled with all the potential you have been able to give your pup. Kudos all round.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
thaliasmom, I am sure you are frusterated. I have had some of your problems but it was with different dogs. Chey had digestive issues, finally cleared up, DeeDee has MAJOR problems with sounds like thunder, gun shots the wind battering the house, then when Lakota was a few days short of 1 year old he ruptured his ACL and tore out 3 of the 4 meniscus. Some days I would think jeeze all I wanted was a nice healthy GSD.

There are several options for the CCL fix, but the meniscus need to be taken out and the dog will regrow new ones. So you will hear some clicking in the joint until those grow back and it takes longer than the healing process of the CCL. I have to tell you I would rather have the problem now than in January like with Lakota, I worried about him and or me slipping on ice when he had to go potty.

Val

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
LOTS of cabernet. And chocolate. Chocolate helps everything.

I have kids who love to get sick. Repeatedly. SIBO over and over and over. Then giardia, which brings back the SIBO. Got that cleared up? The other one gets sick. Weird things we can't diagnose. Haven't got that quite figured out, and the other decides he's not getting enough attention, so he injures himself.

Wine. Chocolates. (I have a killer quick recipe for brownies that go great with any red wine if you'd like!). Oh dear. Hang in there. I know. I'm sorry. That's all I can offer. Sympathy, empathy, compassion. I'd offer cash, but my vet's kids go to an expensive private school. All three (or is it four?) of them. They do very well in their studies, at least. I'm glad. I'd hate to think they were wasting my money!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh yes, sometimes it does seem never ending with our dogs! It is so worth it though for all the love and affection we get back from them! I always try to remember that as hard as it is on us it is even harder on the dogs. Take some time out for yourself. Hugs!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aw, thanks all.
I sure was down the other night. Application of cyber-sympathy, alcohol and fluffy puppy kisses were all very helpful.

We have an appointment with an orthopedist set up for early next week - keep your paws crossed for us!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts