German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound silly and dumb, but on a daily basis I experience people crossing the street or turning around and going the other way when I walk my 5 month old pup. For some reason it gets to me. Today a girl saw my dog who was 30 feet away and not even paying attention to the girl, she screamed out AHHHH, NOOOOO, MOMMY. She literally almost got hit by a car I was like what the heck? And about 5-10 people a day walk into the street or cross the street when they see me approaching. It makes me feel like an alien or leper.
I can't be the only one who gets angry about this.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Are you walking the dog on a head collar and a prong collar with a flexi-lead, and an e-collar with remote in your hand, packing a pistol in one holster, and mace in the other, with a break stick in your belt?

Just wondering? There's people on here that do sound like they appear quite alarming.

Yes, I had a dark boy who at four months old had everyone running for cover. Sucked because he was sweet and good with all people. That was 10 years ago. Rush was awesome. I thought maybe it was his color. People couldn't get enough of trying to pet my black and browns. It's like they were all looney magnets too. People running up, people hugging them, people offering a hand, and then whipping it back and offering a hand and whipping it back. Made me almost wish for people to keep their distance.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Otto lives in his private shepherd bubble, he'd rather you NOT touch him and I'm told that he looks fierce. Venus never saw anyone she didn't want to kiss, she's a great lover of humans. Except she's black. That is apparently scary. When I walk them together people invariably pass on Otto's side.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you walking the dog on a head collar and a prong collar with a flexi-lead, and an e-collar with remote in your hand, packing a pistol in one holster, and mace in the other, with a break stick in your belt?

Just wondering? There's people on here that do sound like they appear quite alarming.

Yes, I had a dark boy who at four months old had everyone running for cover. Sucked because he was sweet and good with all people. That was 10 years ago. Rush was awesome. I thought maybe it was his color. People couldn't get enough of trying to pet my black and browns. It's like they were all looney magnets too. People running up, people hugging them, people offering a hand, and then whipping it back and offering a hand and whipping it back. Made me almost wish for people to keep their distance.
Mine is a black and tan, she is the sweetest dog ever. People that do come up and pet her fall in love with her right away. Maybe its a blessing in disguise because I'm trying to teach her to stop jumping on people. Whatever, I guess it's the small price we pay of owning a dog that's on almost all of the "beware of dog" signs.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I've never had a bad reaction to my girls, most people ask to greet them. Can't count the compliments I've gotten.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
This might sound silly and dumb, but on a daily basis I experience people crossing the street or turning around and going the other way when I walk my 5 month old pup. For some reason it gets to me. Today a girl saw my dog who was 30 feet away and not even paying attention to the girl, she screamed out AHHHH, NOOOOO, MOMMY. She literally almost got hit by a car I was like what the heck? And about 5-10 people a day walk into the street or cross the street when they see me approaching. It makes me feel like an alien or leper.
YES! I hear ya. I could understand maybe now, because my Shelby will be 2 in a few months. She is big and black. She has a big bark, but is the sweetest dog in the world.

When she was a young puppy, I thought people, especially kids would just love to meet her. HA! Most people were afraid of her. Kids were horrible. One kid yelled across the street at her, "Bad dog! Bad dog!" I wanted to kick the kids' butt.

And when people did want to meet her, they were completely inept at how to greet a dog. I was shocked. Needless to say, we just started avoiding people. I didn't want people messing her up.

Y'all know I can't post pictures, so here is my Shelby from an old thread. Now seriously, who wouldn't fall in love with this baby?

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/521506-meet-shelby.html

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
If people are scared, you are better off not having your puppy meet them.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It used to bug me with my first GSD, he was a sweet soul, and I was offended that people couldn't see that. Now, with Phoenix, I do some extra on the spot obedience, a nice sit-stay, focus on me, just to be a bit of a show off....it works the best when they cross the street and encounter a yappy small dog going nuts on the retractable leash at them. Then I smile, and walk on.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I know the feeling, but mine is more so with the adults.. Mostly their kids approach me and ask to pet my dogs and puppies, and then adults freak out thinking my dog is gonna attack their kids. It's absolutely annoying, or they'll purposely pull their kid behind them trying to "create a barrier" when my dog doesn't even bark, or jump, none of that.

The dog in my profile picture, Leo, when I walk him, loads of people turn around because they're scared of him for no reason, one time, some lady picked up her chihuahua and started screaming when she saw my dog and then crossed the street in panic. It's absolutely ridiculous. My dog doesn't even bark! Ever.

People are ridiculous, honestly.
I sometimes do love it though because once I was walking around a lake and these two weird guys were acting strangely, and my dog wouldn't keep his eyes off them, yet would purposely move close to my side (my hip), while we keep walking, and they stopped and turned around right away and looked completely nervous.

So it does have it's benefits, kind of funny seeing tough teenagers too who are dressed up like the next Justin Bieber get scared as **** and cross the street, and back up because they're scared.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts

LOL ..., well ... you know some of us well. :p

I personally don't "gear up" as it were, when "we" go out. And that "stuff" is about other dogs not people. For dog's with "People" issues the only tools required per "Bubble Dog Protocol" are a muzzle and a "stay the heck back attitude" from the owner. "Rocky" had his "people issues" in the past but "we got over them. But I don't think that is what this is about???

With Rocky ... I did keep people out of his ... but in is as much as he is an OS Black WL GSD ... it wasn't that hard to do. It seemed that even admirers, kept a "respectful" distance if we stopped to talk ... that suited me just fine.

Most likely if people would have chosen to avoid my Boxer?? I would have been a bit disappointed. She clearly luv'd, people and they could see it "everyone" was her friend! Rocky (OS WL GSD) clearly could careless about people... "perfectly, people neutral." I don't think JQP has a good feel for dogs like that?? I think they are more like "well the dog seems "safe" but I'll stand here ... 5 feet or so away and talk" ... worked out fine for "us."

Rocky did get to meet his first 5 year old ever! The" kidlet" ... did ask first to pet him and I pondered and said "yes" ... I did not expect him to reach out with both arms and grab Rocky by the head! :eek:

But Rocky was good with it ... he was like ... "whatever." He's come along way since the days of greeting company with a "cold hard stare and a low growl." But I think, JQP is more comfortable with dogs that are more "clearly" people friendly, then they are with dogs that are people neutral??

On the other hand ... it's a GSD here, it could be also that people "avoiding" are "drug dealers" and they think the OP is an undercover officer and her dog is a drug dog?? :p

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
It is sad to hear how so many people are afraid of dogs or don't know how to respond to them. It wasn't like that not so long ago. People either loved dogs and gave them attention or they ignored them. Of course, you always had that one family in the neighborhood that were a scourge on the community's dogs.

But back on topic, when I take my dogs out, most people just ignore them. Once in a while I meet somebody that asks if they can interact with them. Depending on which dog I have with me, where that dog is behavior wise, and the other people themselves, I may permit a brief interaction. There is no shortage of people wanting to spend some time talking to me about my dogs without interacting with them.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Simon is trained to ignore other people. He doesn't pay attention to them and I don't either (directly). I go off trail a bit onto the grass if someone is going to pass us because some people are afraid of GSDs. Yesterday, a women was coming towards us walking a three year old little girl. I stepped off the trail and ignored them and Simon stopped about 4 feet off the trail and was engrossed in a smell. He never waived from that smell. The woman and child passed happily talking together; ignoring use, too.

I think that kind of behavior (where the GSD ignores) helps people not be afraid. I don't pay attention to people in public, in general, because then Simon doesn't either.

I met up with a policeman one day at the park and put Simon in a down when the policeman volunteered that he was afraid of GSDs. He said he had seen what their K-9 did to apprehend about 5 different suspects.

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
We will have some customers come over and I just make sure max will not be in their face not so much now but when he was younger- he could be a sweet nusance l. I remember this big macho customer saying he wasn't afraid and had a pit bulls but he looked like he was scared and hiding behind the table and max - 6 months old was with me on a leash in the other room all wiggly and happy. We just stayed away.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I can definitely understand people avoiding a strange adult GSD, or even a large puppy GSD. I did not and to not understand why they were afraid of my baby puppy GSD. She was even on the smaller side for GSD puppies. She may be a mix, with enough GSD to make her look shepherdy. At any rate, I decided to keep her away from strange people and strange dogs for her own protection. I didn't want her growing up to think all people and dogs were nuts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
LOL. :laugh2: I needed that.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
My previous GSD, Annie, was dog aggressive. When I first adopted her, at the age of 2, I walked her with a prong, a collar, two leashes and a muzzle. Yes, people did cross to the other side of the street. I kinda liked that. Little did they know that Annie could not have cared less about them and was no threat whatsoever. HA!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I've had many people look wary or cross the street to avoid passing close to my dog. That's understandable and normal; if you don't feel comfortable being near dogs or near a particular type of dog, it makes sense to give some space. I don't take that personally or find that odd or offensive.

I think I'd be annoyed by the screaming, to be honest. I dislike screaming children anyway, though, so there's that. It would be more the noise than the reason for it that would irk me.

I admit I am generally more amused than offended by a lot of people. This one kid saw my dog sitting next to me on the sidewalk in heel position, and he shrieked like I had lit him on fire. I freely admit I laughed at the expression on my dog's face: She did a head tilt and then looked at me as if to ask, "What is WRONG with him?"

1 - 20 of 43 Posts