German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever 'forget' you own a dog? Besides when you're sleeping.i don't mean dangerously like in a car or for a long period of time. I mean like when you're at work or visiting a friend or even at home doing chores...

Just a quick lapse. I was lying down in bed for a few minutes getting my bearings straight and I heard Zeeva groan. It took me a few seconds to realize that I have dogs and it was her...

It doesn't happen often or for more than a few seconds. Even when I'm out in constantly thinking of getting back to them or if they need anything.

I feel guilty saying this but those few seconds are my most peaceful ones...

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
No, but then I've always been around dogs, they're second nature to me. BUT sometimes I can't remember if they're outside or in the house ... but I'm always aware I have them.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I have dreams that I've let baby parrots go without feeding and they are starving/dehydrated when I check on them(in my nightmares). Or my other birds have empty water dishes, I haven't handfed birds for almost 15 years and still wake up thinking "it's time to feed the babies".

Dogs are a breeze compared to parrots!
My dogs won't let me forget I have them, though Kacie is the one I always look for, she loves to be outside and has been left out more than once when we go to bed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
No because my life pretty much revolves around my dog and I wouldn't want it any other way:)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No, but at least one if not both is around me at all times at home lol. When I'm out I'm looking forward to being back home with them

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
No, but then I've always been around dogs, they're second nature to me. BUT sometimes I can't remember if they're outside or in the house ... but I'm always aware I have them.
This ,Im constantly thinking did i leave someone out or did everyone get fed! Forgetting the kid yeah thats happened for a few minutes but then i need to write a check or go to the ATM.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I could never forget because they are such a big part of my life and I would never change that. I can't wait to get home to them when I'm at work or if I go somewhere. They are the best reason to cut an engagement short if you don't want to be there:D

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I could never forget because they are such a big part of my life and I would never change that. I can't wait to get home to them when I'm at work or if I go somewhere. They are the best reason to cut an engagement short if you don't want to be there:D
I so agree, I wish I could take my dogs with me more often.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If Finn makes noise and wakes me up, it takes me a second to realize it's Finn making noise. I do forget on occasion that he's outside; I searched high and low looking for him and he was sitting on the back steps like, "Hey...Mom?"

I do enjoy my dog free time though; going to a friends' house who doesn't have any animals is kind of nice, but I miss my animals terribly when they aren't around.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
No because I've only had less than a year of my life total when I've ever NOT lived with a dog, so for me having a dog is a normal state.
I sometimes forget I don't own a dog, though (since my GSD passed away). Because its very weird for me to not have a dog around since I've lived with dogs my whole life... Sometimes I see one of the cats out of the corner of my eye or they make a noise and I think it's the dog and then remember I don't have one...

My parents got a puppy the year before I was born and she lived till I was almost 16 (she was almost 17). We also took in my grandmother's dog when she passed away when I was around 7, and we used to petsit for my uncle's dog often ( at our house), plus the strays I'd always bring home. Then from when I was 9 or so I always walked dogs for people in my neighborhood and started petsitting soon after that... So I've always been around lots of dogs.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
No, there is always one around to remind me! I do forgot I've put them outside on a regular basis. I've actually woke up in a panic because Jax wasn't next to me and I didn't know where she was. I once dreamed that I lost her and woke up incredibly sad and sobbing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nope - even if I'm not with my guy, there's more than enough of his hair on my clothing and every surface to remind me. :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sometimes Gus is so quiet I forget he's here..then he will sneak up on me and plop down and it startles me. So yeah, I get what you're saying!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Sometimes Gus is so quiet I forget he's here..then he will sneak up on me and plop down and it startles me. So yeah, I get what you're saying!
I do the same thing. If that means I forget I have dogs around me, then I'm guilty as well.

When my husband is out of town, I'll wake up due to hearing a noise in the house. Sometimes it takes me a few minutes to remember that it's the dog settling in his kennel. Then I lay awake thinking about how I'm such an idiot.

This weekend I had a house full of people. I fed the dogs breakfast in their kennels. It wasn't till I went out to the barn to turn the horses out that I realized they were still kenneled. It was only for an hour - no biggie, they've been kenneled much longer, but I did feel bad. They didn't care, no harm no foul.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Same here.

I've had a dog as a companion for more years than I've been married to two different women.

I could never forget my dog.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I don't forget I own them but I have forgotten to feed them - then I felt awful and got up in the middle of the night to give them dinner :blush:

Now before anyone thinks I neglect my dogs this happened about twice in 13 years and only once did I forget the other time I was sick and went to have a rest and slept right through their dinner time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts