German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been privileged to have a number of animals share my life. They have been of many species and types. I've come to believe that they are "connected" to the same "Force" that we as humans are. I also believe and know that their upbringing affects how they perceive us (humans) and how they interact with us. Strangely, this is just the same when dealing with our own offspring.

Disclaimer:

(This isn't meant to bring out "religious" beliefs on these posts but assessments of your own experiences.

My question is do you believe that your dogs/animals share the same "spark" (in quality if not in quantity) that animates us? Do you believe that they "feel" and "think" (perhaps in an alien way) similar to how we do in things such as experiencing love and grief and happiness and sadness in ways that match our own? Are their "values" similar because we teach them that or is it from within themselves?

I'm hoping some of you will respond frankly since this is a question I've pondered for years and years. Again, this is not a religious question and requires no defense of your "religious" or "political" beliefs.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lila
My question is do you believe that your dogs/animals share the same "spark" (in quality if not in quantity) that animates us? Do you believe that they "feel" and "think" (perhaps in an alien way) similar to how we do in things such as experiencing love and grief and happiness and sadness in ways that match our own? Are their "values" similar because we teach them that or is it from within themselves?
I do. I believe they are maybe even a bit more advanced than we are sometimes.
I know Keys picks up my energy & I can pick his up.
I know when hes scared or sad or sick.
I talk to him like a human. (as cheezy as that sounds.)
He protects me & knows when Im sad.
I know he loves me A TON. And I love the speical bond that only ME & HIM share.

I dunno if that was the right answer to the question....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
No, I believe the spark that animates animals is much stronger than that which animates humans. I believe they are more strongly connected to the life force, and therefore have a better capability for empathy, since they can read distress, physical or mental, much more accurately in a human being than human beings can read one another.

There are a number of interesting books on the emotional lives of animals that come to the conclusion that we have for years disbelieved in their emotional lives simply because as a species we are so bad at reading body language and other similar clues.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I believe that if they have a relationship with us...a connection and they are in sync with us ...then they can feel what we are feeling...my first GSD did not bark for a week after my father died and my other dogs have been in sync with my feelings...think my older dog also just knew when my aunt had cancer

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I was raised a Protestant (Christian Reformed) Christian and told that humans are created in the image of God, animals not.

As I've matured, seen the world, studied theology, etc I've come to place very little emphasis, if any, on that point. I personally believe that there is a god, and that this god is self-evident in creation (you do not need a Bible or any other book or church or talisman to *know* the god). Since animals are a part of that creation, I do believe that they are miraculous and are themselves reflections of god whether or not they have the same potential as humans.

As for values, I believe that dogs do what works for them, so no, I don't believe that they have the potential to be as altruistic as a human can be (but often aren't!).

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lila
I do, but on more of a' scientific' level so to speak... Dogs are social animals like humans. Wolves/dogs tend to live in family groups like humans do, with the parents being the leaders or authority figures.
Dogs have evolved over tens of thousands of years to live and work with humans, and they have likely been selected (unnatural selection if you will) for similarities to humans and better communication with us-- in other words we most likely bred them to behave more like we do. Dogs are also surprisingly good at reading our language and body language and understanding humans in general-- better than we are at understanding them in fact.
Yes, I believe that dogs do feel and think a lot like us because they are a social species much like we are and have been bred for thousands of years to be more like us and to understand us better.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hi Lila's Owner,

Not only do I believe that animals have an inner life, an emotional life-but one of my heroes, Darwin, wrote a very wise book on the subject. (from Amazon)

"The most popular of Darwin's books during his lifetime, in a beautifully illustrated new edition

Featuring dozens of color photographs from Darwin's original publication, this edition-issued to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth-makes this classic study newly accessible to modern readers. Published in 1872, The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals was a book at the very heart of Darwin's research interests. Darwin's main goal was to demonstrate the power of his theories for explaining the origin of our most cherished human qualities, morality and intellect. The work engages some of the hardest questions in the evolution debate, and it shows the ever-cautious Darwin at his boldest."

I certainly hope this doesn't violate any discussion bans.

MJ

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackPuppySo, the dog that drug it's injured partner off the highway was doing it for selfish reasons? Just asking.
I don't know details about this, but yeah I would think a dog would do that since they are a pack animal. Would a dog drag an injured fawn, racoon, etc off the highway? I'm not saying it's bad, I just think that's how it is. Dogs are just more "pure" in that they are animals, still somewhat wild. What many people see as love or loyalty I see as guarding a resource.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
This is easy. Yes.

Dogs have deep emotional lives, too. When we are typing away on this forum, what is going on in their heads? They don't just shut off like an appliance when we're done paying attention to them. They continue to feel, think, wonder, experience things in their minds.

When they dream, the rich kaleidescope of scents must play out from walks they dream about.. the firmness of the Cuz toy they dream about playing with, and the way the smooth round shape feels against their flews and tongue.. or, maybe they dream about us laying on the floor scritching them and giving them soft loveytalk, listening to our heartbeats, smelling the salt and sweat of our skin, feeling our auras mixing with theirs in those tender moments dreamed about.

Maybe when awake and laying quietly, they listen to our blood rushing through our veins, smell what we ate for lunch at work today coming through our skin's pores, and feel our aura being annoyed, run-down, ill, or hopeful and healing from things.

They're receptive. They listen to us inside and out, they smell us, they care for us. Love is a BIG thing. Dogs have worry, hope, eagerness. Living in the moment doesn't mean that they haven't got deep feelings.

Such precious souls to be the caretakers for. Aren't we lucky?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chicago...

Way back when I was "seeking" to understand rather than just letting it all "happen" around me in a chaos, I tried to feel the rhythm and flow of life. I was moderately successful at it. I could go to a deserted beach and calm my mind (in a kinda lame lotus position if you know what I mean). I'd hold bread crumbs in my outstretched hands and after 15 minutes or so of "being still" wild birds would come and take the bread.

I won't try and explain here what I believe makes that happen. All I can say is that at that time I was a calmer and more mellow person. Now I'm a total
. Just ask my family.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MJ...

Yes. I believe that the debate over Darwin served no greater purpose than to malign this great man and his research for many years.

For those of a "moderate" religious bent, Darwin did not deny the existence of God in any way. If anything he said that we as humans are very limited in our understanding of life and all that entails, and I second that opinion.

I'll get the book. I just order up one on Joe Stalin this morning. Ironic. I'm a eclectic reader. Thanks Heaps.. !!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me clarify something here...

I posted (I think) about witnessing this very act. ie A dog dragging another off the road by it's collar. It was a sad and wonderful thing to see. This was in the small town of Hanapepe on Kauai. Population maybe 1000 and one lane in each direction. It was right outside of a small restaurant. (Maybe he was the roadkill menu manager!)

I believe this was something ... well... different.

·
Registered
288 Posts
oh yes! absolutely. I have this beautiful GSD 12 mths old, on the nervous side (no nervous aggresion) and she mirrors my feelings, moods everthin , it scary. Even my attitude towards my husband, daughter, son other people, she is like a Dog me! and I am not even an animal person!!!!!!! but I think GSDS are the greatest ever!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you'll find a lot of people here who whole heartedly agree with you, Bellamia.

Welcome to the board and maybe, when you find the time, you can post up some pictures of your fur baby in the Welcome Mat thread. I'm sure you'll get a great welcome there as well as some serious "OMG she's/he's beautiful!!!"

We all seem to like sharing our pride with other like minded individuals.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts