German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
We currently have 7 dogs, but with two of them being pomeranians I don't think they really count. Both dh and I each work 2 and there are days that I would love to just hang and be a couch potato but it cant happen. If I had my way I would have more but I do work full time so we are currently maxed. As they age and retire from working we will probably add younger working bunch. DH makes it all happen though since he is gone 24 and home 48 he can provide the exercise and stimulation when I am stuck at work. Eventually (in about 10 years) I will be able to work part time or not at all and then we plan on doing german shepherd rescue in our area so we will see what happens then. I cannot imagine life with only one or even 2 the house would just seem empty.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I definitely want two........

Waiting for my DH to soften up over the idea.....hey its not like he is taking care of him.....I am !!

He would certaninly loose the remaining straggles of hair on his big beanie head if I brought home another.......

But it would be definitely a rescue !

·
Registered
220 Posts
I definitely want two........

Waiting for my DH to soften up over the idea.....hey its not like he is taking care of him.....I am !!

He would certaninly loose the remaining straggles of hair on his big beanie head if I brought home another.......

But it would be definitely a rescue !

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Do I want more GSD's? Yes. Do I need more? Yes! Is it is practical for me to have more? No!!!! (whaaaaaa)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I had Liberty and Patriot together. They were great and it was almost the same amount of work, feeding, training, and grooming with one as with two. I was married at the time so we both had a dog to walk, no more I want to hold the leash fights :). At one point we had three and that was too many.

With The Phantom, there is no way in ****, I would ever have more than one. She has more energy, drive, and spunk than I can handle. The thought of raising another puppy and having 2 high drive dogs, no thank you!

Now that it is just The Phantom and I living together, we have an incredible bond. It is truly amazing. She's my everything!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Two is good, one was enough sometimes; I could never do 3, unless we moved to the countryside; here in the suburbs, two is the limit. Do I want more? Yes! I'd love to have like, 10! But as halen said, it would not be practical for us, or even fair to them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
three is my idea number. two is so much better than one. chopper is so good, he's low maintenance compared to chase. I am considering getter a mini poodle from the shelter, but I'm holding out for my third gsd. I need a female for show. This will probably mean building outdoor kennels...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowFor those of you who are not sure you want another--you should foster! That way you help out a dog in need but it's not a lifetime commitment (unless you're the foster failure type!)
That is me, the last 2 that I fostered I ended up keeping. Now my wife wont let me foster anymore
(only because of space), we had 5 at one point and space wise was just a bit too much.

We have 3 (2 gsd's and a gsd mix). If space and money were no problem, we would have a kennel fulll

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If we ever move from DC to a farm, I will start a safe haven for senior gsd's...so my answer is yes..I want many more..
But as long as I am in the city 4 is more then enough.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
We have two GSD's right now, 6 and 9. I would like to get another GSD but am not ready for a puppy (am working with the younger dog in obedience and wouldn't have time for training a puppy too) so am seriously thinking of finding a needy senior looking for his/her forever home.
Tonight I am taking our friends 3 black labs while they're off to Florida so I'll find out what 5 dogs is like!

Holly, Palomino quarter horse, 28
Leo, quarter horse, 26

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
4 here, 3 GSDs and one non GSD. They are all rescues, and all females, and from different parts of the country. Lots of fun, the only bad thing is the hair, it is everywhere! And four is outside my comfort zone, so NO MORE! for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I always want more GSD's when I see a puppy! However, I have 2 GSD's (one VERY special needs), and a Beagle so I think 3 dogs is enough. Honestly, I like to have 2 GSD's and one other breed, and that other breed is whatever happens to steal my heart. This time it was a Beagle.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have 6 dogs, 4 SHepherds a JRT and a Chihuahua. I live on 2 acres and have 8 horses as well, so the dogs fit in perfectly as because of the horses I spend a lot of time outdoors with them, they follow me all over and entertain themselves as well, plus with the large yard I don't feel like they are being neglected as far as exercise, my 2 younger Shepherds start their training this spring so that is going to be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
We currently have one. DH and I go back and forth about having more than one dog, but he is opinion is that it is hard enough to raise a family, work and still have time for Rocky. Maybe once we retired we may go up to 2 but for right now 1 seems to be the perfect number.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
For us, one is a handfull right now! I'd love to bring in another GSD but that won't be for a couple years at least.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Right now only 3, but once we move, with alot of land I will have my kennel full. I would like to have 6 GSD. For me and what we are planning for the future that would be the perfect number.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Heck yeah!!!

Growing up we always had 2-3. Currently is the first time I have only one dog which happens to be my Samoyed. But the new GSD puppy is on the way. We're picking him up in 5 weeks!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
Most definitely we'll get another one once this puppy is past 2yo. Tommie Girl is 12 and I rather get another puppy before she passes (like we can predict that...). If I could... gee I would have 3-4 all the time!!!!! Can never have too much of a good thing: there's no such thing as too much garlic, too much chocolate, too much cheese or too much GSD!!!! LOL!!!! Can't you tell is Friday???

Hugs!
Ana

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like odd numbers so it’s either 3 or 5. I’ve done just one and that was a nightmare. Two is ok, but three is better in IMHO
I was up to 8 dogs (several fosters and a ‘house guest’ for a few days) a while back and that was a bit more then I could handle. Currently I have 4 GSDs of my own, one foster, and a Jack/Rat Terrier mix. I’d love to add just one more so there would be 5 GSDs but I’m not sure if I can manage that. Charlie is bossy with other male dogs and Annie doesn’t care much for other females bringing in a new face could cause some problems around here. Tess has an application in on her, and if that falls through then I’ll be adopting her. That would make for a full house.

I manage 5 GSDs because I don’t work and we are all home bodies anyways. I find ways to make things run smoother all the time. Good deals on supplies in bulk, better ways to organize space and time, and I don’t mind cleaning so it’s not hard to keep things in order. I’m not big on formal training, just house manners and the basics. There are no really close clubs or places to do dog activities at or I probably would be more into that side of dog ownership.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts