German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm not bashed for this, but I sometimes go back & forth between wanting more GSDs (among other breeds) and thinking maybe I shouldn't even have one since we work 50+ hours a week and have limited funds.

Does anybody else here ever feel guilty about not being able to give your dog 100% every day, yet dreamed about having more?

·
Registered
27,217 Posts
I have two(and a senior non gsd)and would love to rescue more, but I know that I wouldn't be giving any of them enough of what they deserve. Plus they are healthy now, but what if something came up, I would have a hard time affording proper care if needed.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
We have 4 right now (2 GSD's & 2 non GSD's).

I'll always have gsd's i think until im too old to care for dogs anymore. I think a perfect pack would be 3. I'm very comfortable with two as we've always had 2 dogs growing up and our pack started out with 2 and grew from there. So i think i could easily handle having a pack of 3 GSD's.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Have 2, that's plenty $-wise!
But if money were no object, and I was independently wealthy and did not have to work, a kennel full would be a gas!

Course, we always only had 1, and that was good...but once the kids
grew up and out, we found ourselves with more time to devote to more.
More than one with kids is a lot to handle.

Guess it just depends on your circumstances.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I've had three dogs in the past and it was too much in terms of training, exercise, traveling, etc.

Two is the perfect number for me!

For those of you who are not sure you want another--you should foster! That way you help out a dog in need but it's not a lifetime commitment (unless you're the foster failure type!)

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I currently have 5 dogs, 2 GSD's and 3 Aussies. I did have a total of 6, until we lost Princess(GSD) last year.

This is the first time I have had less then 6 dogs in 10 years. My house feels like something is missing with only 5.
The least I have ever had even as a child was 3.

5 and 6 is a lot of work. But, I work at home, and very rarely watch TV, each one of my dogs get plenty of exercise, training, and playtime with me and my hubby, individually and as a group. OH, it isn't easy, and I have had to sacrifice alot to make sure they get their time. Like not going to bed until midnight, and getting up at 4am, just so I fulfill their needs.

Hubby and I have been doing a lot of planning for our future, and how many dogs we can handle as we get older, so I try and picture myself with only 2, which I think is a perfect number. In reality, I know it will be many years before I only have 2 dogs. My name is already on a list for my next pup.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have always had only one dog growing up, but I can't imagine how empty that would be now. I'm so used to having 2, and it works out great. One arm for each to pet, throw/tug toys, put their bowl down, and one leash in each hand.....However I'm REALLY seriously considering adopting a third and everyone I know (not on here, obviously) thinks I'm crazy!

I can handle 30 on my own at work, but it's really nice to go home to just 2!

Still haven't quite found the perfect dog yet (although Maverick in NJ in the non-urgent section seems to be it), but when I do (or his owner finally gets back to me) it will be 3.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Two is my limit. I always want one more... but practically, I'd worry about how much energy I'd have for a 3rd. I really don't want another breed - doesn't get better than this. Well, actually, I've always wanted an Irish Wolfhound but not if I couldn't have my GSDs too.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Well right now I want one more (2 GSDs, 3 dogs total) because I'd like to get into SchH and Kenya doesn't have the right nerves. However another is not really practical right now. I work full time and am busy enough with Kenya doing obedience, rally, and agility and making sure DH keeps Coke occupied. I like things in threes so if I ever work part time or stay home I would like three.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had as many as seven. Currently I have six including three who are 12 years old. I will not replace them when it's their time to go to join the other Hooligans at the Bridge. That will leave me with three. Bruiser will be three years old in April so I don't have any short term plans for adding any more until I'm down to one or two (depends on my age when I lose them).

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have two GSDs and a Dobie. While three would be fine if I was retired, it's a lot when you're working full time. I think two would be idea but to answer the question, I fantasize all the time about having more land and having more GSDs. I only need look at a rescue site at the gorgeous dogs that need a home.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I currently have 2 GSDs (plus a puppy coming in late Feb!!
) a BC and a Sheltie. That is 4 personal dogs right now and one coming to total 5. I also try to have a foster. I have had as many as 8 dogs at one time in the past. 8 was too many. I have found I can handle 6 fairly easily. More than that and I get spacy lol. I only work part time away from home. I have my own training business so I get to work my dogs pretty regularly. I also find that it gives me a great excuse to have DH keep track/watch the non-fur kiddos while I train the dogs. I love my kids, but it is taxing on a person lol and the dogs are my "escape". When the kids are grown and gone, I hope to have as many as I can easily work with lol I will always have at least one.. preferably a "kennel full" ! lol

·
Registered
31,873 Posts
I have eight. Sometimes I think it would be so much better to have one or two. But then I look at their little faces and give up. There is none of them I could do without. For every negative quality in any individual, there are several redeeming qualities. There personalities are so individual that once they are there, they are permanent.

Do we always want more. Hmmm, yes for my part. I have trouble looking on the rescue site because I seriously concider picking up one of these dogs. However, the dog is probably a whole lot better off going to someone else. I really only have so much time. I also work full time. Most of my dogs get along nicely with what time I can spare them. One of them could probably use all of my off time and then some.

·
Premium Member
11,153 Posts
I have a minimum of 4 - two older dogs who are very active, but not training regularly, one who is 5+ and is a breeding female, and 2 younger ones from my litters. A couple of others live with co-owners or friends. I usually have a youngster that is for sale if the right person comes along, only because...........!!

I want two more LOL I am storing frozen semen so that eventually, I can get another Xito progreny and anohter Ufo pup or two! But I need to be in a different house/job and be down at least one more....

Lee

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I put 2 and several. I'd want to have 2 working (with about 3 years of age between each other, a seasoned one and a pup) and one senior enjoying his/her retirement days. But then I'd also like someday in the far future to get involved in breeding so if I have to chance, the space and the money I could consider to have more.

G

·
0 Posts
I grew up the son of a GSD breeder and trainer. There were always at least four adults and often six in our family and of course many pups. I had my own GSD at age 5. I was the youngest of my parents' children to be so trusted. My siblings had to wait until they were about 9 or 10, but dad saw in me another soul like himself. I had what he called "the gift" very early on. He was proven right. Today I am the only one of his children still with these most excellent of dogs.

Since I grew up with one dog being mine that was how I always went. That is until Frigga entered my life. I wanted to give back something to this breed I owed so much to and so I looked for a dog who needed a home. I also was aware that Odin was becoming depressed from lack of a playmate. Frigga was the answer for all of that. Having two that were mine I can never go back to just one. It makes so many things easier actually. Easier to train the new dog, better stimulation for both, and oh so much more. Since moving back home and marrying DW we had three dogs in the mix then and Billie made it very easy for all of us. DW also is a great dog lover all her life and has had several dogs over the years. Now that Billie has passed on we will be looking for another dog for her before too long I imagine. Billie was a GSD/Beagle cross and DW and I both cherished the many fine features of the GSD that shown clearly in him. I suspect we will be rescuing a young male GSD or GSD mix for her someday soon.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts