German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hans has begun to mark.

I was hoping he wouldn't start, but he has, and I would like to discourage it.

Those of you who have, what did you do to stop it? I have used "Ah!" a couple of times, and it got him to stop, but I do not want him to think I am correcting him for urinating.

Although, he still squats when he pees :D I praise him for that.

He is smart enough to know the difference, right?

PS-- we do not stop for sniffing on walks. He is doing this at the edges of the property as he is looking for a place to poo.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
With Riley on walks, if he stopped to sniff and started to mark, I'd say no and pull him away. He didn't try to mark often after that but he still tried. The walk as far as I'm concerned is not for him to be marking everything. He didn't need to know the other dogs and they didn't need to know him through pee mail. Stopping to pee all out was fine but a little here and a little there was heavily discouraged. Collar pop is necessary but if you correct him in the act of starting to mark and keep walking, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I correct for peeing on walks unless I tell him to. I don't allow it.

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to explain that I do not allow stopping on walks-- he is doing this at home.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I take the middle ground. The marking and sniffing - that is what dogs do, as another dog owner told me "he's reading the newspaper". I make sure my Sting potties first in the backyard before the walk. I also allow him to mark in the front yard. So, off we go - he gets 2 marking times on a walk of a mile or so, and I pick the spots. I say "okay" and let him sniff/mark. The way I found to discourage it between the marking stops, is to move fast and keep him guessing as to my direction.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to explain that I do not allow stopping on walks-- he is doing this at home.
As long as it is outside in the yard, that's fine with me. I don't mind about the grass, but I have seen products that can be added to the dog's food that won't turn the grass yellow. Also, if it were a plant or tree and I was concerned he would kill it, I would put a barrier around it or have cactus plants "guard" it. If it is a deck or something, I also have seen some type of spray that is supposed to discourage that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't mind marking on property; he doesn't pee in the same spot each time, which saves the grass a bit and seeing how many times he marks gives me an idea of if the neighbor's dog has been in our yard again. He does not mark on the neighbor's fence as that's not "his" to do so on. Marking is not allowed on walks; a quick collar pop is all that's needed to stop him. On off leash hikes, I could care less, honestly, but on leash means no marking.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I don't allow marking on walks, it's annoying to me. If we are hiking off leash, I don't care. Don't care in the yard either, although he doesn't mark in the yard often. Wonder if that's weird?

I wish he still squatted because he sometimes pees on his front leg:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a female and I am wondering if she is marking. I think I read somewhere that females do this too. She will stop to "pee"' several times on a walk. Lately I have tried to discourage this as I really don't want to stop and go constantly.
Do females mark? And if so, is it for the same reason males do? Should I discourage this behavior?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I allow my males to mark (out doors) unless they are on a leash. We have coyotes in the area and I think it's only fair to allow them (my dogs) to mark their own territory. They are not allowed to mark on my patio, on my plants etc. The coyotes never come up that close to the house.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't know, guys. These small things are part of being a dog. Marking and reading the signs of other dogs marking is obviously of great interest to dogs. After all, what do dogs have to enrich their lives. Food, play, meeting and greeting and reading scent. Mostly my dogs sleep thru the 8 hr day and wait for me to come home and provide some interest in their lives. Then they go back to sleep for another 8 hour night. I really try not to take away the tiniest little doggy pleasure. If you have a male dog, expect it to mark and accept it. We humans are the ones hung up on urine and feces. Dogs don't see things the way we do. Do we really need to control every little thing that nature created?

·
Registered
938 Posts
My dog is female and she definitely marks on walks. The spots she chooses are pretty strategic. I just started training her, but one thing I have tried is doing "wait" and then "go sniff" when she waits nicely. I figure getting to sniff around and mark is a nice reward for her. But I have tried to vary it so she is not always the one choosing when and where to mark. Sometimes I will let her pick the spot, sometimes I say no, sometimes I choose a spot for her. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Never tried this before.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I don't allow marking on walks, it's annoying to me. If we are hiking off leash, I don't care. Don't care in the yard either, although he doesn't mark in the yard often. Wonder if that's weird?

I wish he still squatted because he sometimes pees on his front leg:rolleyes:
My dog squats and sometimes he STILL pees on his front leg. He's so gifted. LOL!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't know, guys. These small things are part of being a dog. Marking and reading the signs of other dogs marking is obviously of great interest to dogs. After all, what do dogs have to enrich their lives. Food, play, meeting and greeting and reading scent. Mostly my dogs sleep thru the 8 hr day and wait for me to come home and provide some interest in their lives. Then they go back to sleep for another 8 hour night. I really try not to take away the tiniest little doggy pleasure. If you have a male dog, expect it to mark and accept it. We humans are the ones hung up on urine and feces. Dogs don't see things the way we do. Do we really need to control every little thing that nature created?
Agreed! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL As soon as he does it he's instantly annoyed because he then licks it off:groovy: Good times!
At least he cares.
Hans pees on his front legs and is oblivious.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ruben, my male, will start to pee and Stella has to run over to sniff, which results in Ruben peeing on her head. Just lovely.
:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts