German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vincent Van Gogh once said:
"If you do not have a dog, at least one, there may not be something wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
What do you think of that quote?? Why?? don't you think the dog in the quote should be replaced with a GSD??

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
No because too many people aren't the right type of owner for a GSD. I'm sad to see that so many people own them these days.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree, people get a GSD expecting them to be just like Rin Tin Tin with no training. They take ALOT of work and not everyone can handle a dog like that.

To the OP I think that everyone is different. My best friend doesn't like animals at all, but loved kids. I think that we should have someone/thing to take care of in our life at least once (besides ourselves). I couldn't imagine life without a dog. Before I got my cat though, I thought "I'm not a cat person." Now my cat is my joy! It takes all kind of people!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I secretly think people without pets are just weird; but that doesn't mean I think they should have them.
...didn't Van Gogh also think it would be a good idea to cut part of his ear off? :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
I dont think everyone should have a dog, or any pet. However, any good experienced ( or atleast willing to learn and work alot) dog owner should consider a GSD. :)

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I get what your saying, and yes, for me that is true. Over and over and over again people tell me that they have had dogs, but it was not until they had a shepherd did they feel this way. Sheps are special. And they do make our lives more complete.

I am sure some people should not own one. But that is just too sad to think about.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
No, I don't agree, not everyone should have a dog, most people are just too irresponsible, even with a smaller easier breed than a GSD.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Haha yeah really Jax's Mom, I wouldn't put much stock into anything that wacko had to say! I'd say his own life had a little something wrong with it, as in, one less ear!

I see what Sue is saying, though - I have owned a lot of breeds so far (Pom, Chihuahua, ShiPoo, Corgi, Collie, Great Dane, ****zu, and now the GSD) and even though I have loved them all (well, some more than others lol) the GSD, although only 5 months, has got to be the greatest dog I've ever owned. He is exceptional in every way. Intelligent, eager to learn and please, gorgeous, hard working, loyal, loving - he's amazing. I wish I'd had one sooner. But they're SO not a dog that just anyone could have, hence all the poor souls in the urgent rehoming section. :(

So yes, if you are a dog lover, and the perfect person to own a GSD but you DON'T have one - your life is lacking!

Edit: lmao it censored Shi tZu lmao...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I find pet owners to be a more relaxed and less uptight people. :doggieplayball:

If I didn't have my pets, I would just spend my time staring off blankly, twiddling my thumbs wondering what to do with myself.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
"If you do not have a dog, at least one, there may not be something wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
What do you think of that quote?? Why?? don't you think the dog in the quote should be replaced with a GSD??
I don't know what I think about the quote, as I'm not in the same league as Van Gogh when it comes to grey matter. I like the quote, it has to with dogs. Beyond that level of introspection I can't offer much.

However, replacing "dog" with "GSD" worries me some. GSD is not exactly a beginners dog. If the quote was aimed at a convention of dog trainers, then yeah, substitute GSD in there. If it's aimed at a Shriner's convention, then I'd leave it as dog.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
A house isn't a home without a dog - but that is for me. While I could love any dog, the GSD is just special. In that respect the quote suits me.

I agree everyone should not have a dog. My mother doesn't like animals. She would never hurt an animal. Just isn't an animal person. She is terrified of cats. Animals of course are drawn to her. I pet sat my cousins' very skittish cat. He hid all the time. I took my mother in the house and that cat came out of hiding and went right to her. GEEZ! I must be adopted.

I have to admit that I also find people who don't like dogs a bit odd. Kind of like people who don't like chocolate.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I just saw a guy on craigslist who wanted to trade his dog for an Xbox. He has a dog, but there is still something definitely wrong with him.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I totally agree with this quote! I am 33 and Molly is my first dog(GSD). She totally changed my life for the better. Every day I get home from work (good day or bad day) she make me smile or laugh and notice the simple thing in life:wub:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
No, there are a whole heck of a lot of people who should NEVER own any animal much less a dog. People on here feel that way because we love and adore our dogs. We can't imagine our lives without them. They enhance and enrich our lives and we assume that this would be true of everyone. But think of the stories we here of people that chain their dogs up in the back yard, day after day, week after week and have very little interaction with it except to throw a bowl of kibble at it once a day. That person definitely shouldn't own a dog. Or people who think it is fun to lock their dog in a crate and use it for target practice, or beat it with sticks, or any of the other horrible things we hear about people doing to their dogs. So, no, not everyone should own a dog.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I have Asperger's Syndrome, and am quite detached from aspects of life that are intuitive and biologically programmed in people without the Syndrome. Though I grew up an animal lover, I did not "get" dogs with their needyness to please and to be accepted and belong. I found dogs annoying. It wasn't until I was older and more emotionally developed that I understood from where the pack mentality came from, and could relate at a different level than previously.

I often hear on this forum: "People who don't like dogs must have something wrong with them".

I guess to some extent, that used to apply to me. But I fail to see how dismissing me as having something wrong with me, looking down one's nose at me because I wasn't a dog person (not saying that anyone here that has responded is doing that (looking down at people - but have seen it in other threads in the past), feeling that one is superior in some way because they are dog people (as opposed to people who don't like dogs), would have somehow helped me develop in those areas that I yet had to develop, nor would I have been motivated to try and understand or appreciate dogs if I had run into that attitude.

I think we can all celebrate our love for our dogs, and be accepting and respectful of those who don't share the same interests or understanding that we do. Just something to keep in mind. Not saying that this attitude is prevalent here - actually the opposite. But once in a while the subject comes up, and really, I wish it didn't, because it gives support to the idea that people who are different have something fundementally wrong with them, and that attitude only hurts us all.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes, I agree that people without a dog (or more than one) are really missing out. I only disagree that they should all have GSDs because there are so many other wonderful dogs out there who need homes, too :)

One if my smartest, best dogs ever was a GSD/lab mix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts