German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any kids yet, but sometimes the way parents talk to their small children reminds me of how I train my dog. I thought it would be interesting to discuss whether people who trained their dogs beyond the basic sit, down, come-if-you-feel-like-it, were able to apply some of that training knowledge to raise better behaved children? I'm not saying people's children can or should be trained like dogs, but I do think some of the same principles of reward based conditioning might be useful for future little ones ;)

·
Registered
766 Posts
sorry for straying a little off topic..but i just imagined someone clicker training their toddler haha :rofl:

Anywho, I don't really know, all the people I know that have been trainers are the "forever alone" type x.x'

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
The operant conditioning techniques work on anyone with a brain; animal or human. I have trained chickens, koi, mice, rats and my dogs and kids (just don't called it training). Never tried it with my DH cause he didn't need any training.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm not an expert dog trainer, but we have most of the basics down. I have raised a 19-year old son, though, and I did implement a lot of the same positive reinforcement techniques with him as a toddler that I had watched my mother use with her competitive GSD.

Positive reinforcement, redirection, limited choices, removing obstacles that set the child up to fail (child proofing), affection, one on one time...mutual respect.

The boy is excelling as a college freshman. He is confident, attentive, knows when to leave it, be quiet, and go get it, he is loyal, obedient, respects authority, and he's everyone's friend (not fearful).

So yes, I definitely think the same approach works! Lol! Poor kid, I just described my boy as the perfect dog, doh.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boy is excelling as a college freshman. He is confident, attentive, knows when to leave it, be quiet, and go get it, he is loyal, obedient, respects authority, and he's everyone's friend (not fearful).
sounds like you raised the perfect teenager lol!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The operant conditioning techniques work on anyone with a brain; animal or human. I have trained chickens, koi, mice, rats and my dogs and kids (just don't called it training). Never tried it with my DH cause he didn't need any training.
Wow koi? What did you teach them to do?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
In my case I raised my son then the dogs and they all turned out great. So I think I was a better trainer because of my son...does that make sense?

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Wow koi? What did you teach them to do?
That is not so impressive as it was so easy. Tap the side of the pond and feed him a piece of their food. Later he followed me as I walked by or followed my hand over the water and I rewarded it by giving him a goodie. He was tame and ate from my hands. When we moved I gave him to someone who had a large koi pond. I still miss that fish, more like a real pet. Too bad he lived under the water's surface and couldn't go on walks.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That is not so impressive as it was so easy. Tap the side of the pond and feed him a piece of their food. Later he followed me as I walked by or followed my hand over the water and I rewarded it by giving him a goodie. He was tame and ate from my hands. When we moved I gave him to someone who had a large koi pond. I still miss that fish, more like a real pet. Too bad he lived under the water's surface and couldn't go on walks.
That is soooo cool!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
sounds like you raised the perfect teenager lol!
He's not perfect, lol! But he accepts responsibility for his actions and respects authority (not that he has never challenged it, a lot like my adolescent male GSD).

But I honestly remember, time and time again, while he a toddler, asking myself, what did Mom do with Skada to get him to behave?!? Yep, I'm a "dog person!"

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I know my kids are definitely better behaved than most these days..... Might have to try clicker training lol. I expect certain behaviors and don't accept anything less without consequences. Temper tantrums from my kids or my furballs are not tolerated. Kids are expected to say please, thank you, excuse me, etc and have appropriate manners and the appropriate manners is expected from the animals as well. My kids help with chores. I guess you could say that certain methods for teaching expand from human to animal and back again.

·
Registered
27,250 Posts
I practice NILIF with my kids...they aren't fond of it.

·
5,627 Posts
My husband and I have been joking that we are going to clicker train our son. I suspect that an actual clicker won't be involved be some techniques will definitely carry over.

My sister hates it when I use "commands" on her kids. It just slips out sometimes :eek: I have a friend who is a special ed teacher and she definitely uses rewards with her students to help them focus and behave and it's trial and error to find out what is most rewarding to each student.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I don't have any kids yet, but sometimes the way parents talk to their small children reminds me of how I train my dog. I thought it would be interesting to discuss whether people who trained their dogs beyond the basic sit, down, come-if-you-feel-like-it, were able to apply some of that training knowledge to raise better behaved children? I'm not saying people's children can or should be trained like dogs, but I do think some of the same principles of reward based conditioning might be useful for future little ones ;)
That is a very cute post. I tell my kids to sit or stay, I would never have a unloving feeling as useing a clicker for my kids :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
My husband and I have been joking that we are going to clicker train our son. I suspect that an actual clicker won't be involved be some techniques will definitely carry over.

My sister hates it when I use "commands" on her kids. It just slips out sometimes :eek: I have a friend who is a special ed teacher and she definitely uses rewards with her students to help them focus and behave and it's trial and error to find out what is most rewarding to each student.
lol! My husband and I were just talking about "training" the kids with a clicker last night. They were getting kinda crazy and playing to rough last night so he tells them "get over here and sit down!" Took the kids a minute to do what they were told but as soon as he said it Lily ran over to him , sat down, and looked up at him like "what now dad?" :rofl:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have kids and I have dogs, my kids are my kids and a dog is a dog, but still part of our family! I could tell you a scary story I am working with right now helping someone with a dog, and I don't even want to say it:)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
lol! My husband and I were just talking about "training" the kids with a clicker last night. They were getting kinda crazy and playing to rough last night so he tells them "get over here and sit down!" Took the kids a minute to do what they were told but as soon as he said it Lily ran over to him , sat down, and looked up at him like "what now dad?" :rofl:

Of course that would not be human right, but my husband jokes about taking a bite of out little ones food when he is eating. I laugh but told him that might not be a good idea LOL.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
A kid can be sad or hurt and a dog will bite, I do not have bitting dogs but seen a kid get sad! Yes a dog gets sad too but not like a kid!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts