German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about some of the things that bug me when people meet Ozzy, and I was wondering if you guys experience the same things and if it bothers you, or if I'm just picky. lol

1. When they continue getting his gender wrong. Yes, he's a MALE Pomeranian. The first time if they call him a female, it doesn't bother me. But after I say, "His name is Ozzy," and they keep calling him a female, it irritates the bajeeberz out of me.

2. When people ask what breed he is, then when they get the answer, look at him funny - and I KNOW they're thinking, "Wow, this chick's an idiot, that's not a Pom."

3. When people try to tell me how much I'm going to need to brush him. He's a Pom. I know I'm going to have to brush him constantly. I already brush him daily. If I really wanted to, I could just shave him. But I'd rather brush him.

Feel free to add anything that bothers you. These are just my 3 biggies. I imagine not many will sympathize with me on #3, except for maybe those with coaties. :p

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I was thinking about some of the things that bug me when people meet Ozzy, and I was wondering if you guys experience the same things and if it bothers you, or if I'm just picky. lol

1. When they continue getting his gender wrong. Yes, he's a MALE Pomeranian. The first time if they call him a female, it doesn't bother me. But after I say, "His name is Ozzy," and they keep calling him a female, it irritates the bajeeberz out of me. Nope, doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I often put Keeta's pink collar on Gryff because I love how it offsets his sableness, and OTHER people get irritated with me for having a pink collar on a male. And if they keep calling Keeta a "he", and Gryff a "she", I ignore it.

I can't really think of being irritated by what other people think or say, now that I think about it. I usually look at it as my entertainment for the day. :)
I've lots of dog conversations with strangers about GSD lore, and usually I just go "Really?", and try not to laugh out loud.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
in total agreement with #1. People see Shasta and know she looks like a GSD but because her coloring isnt the typical black and tan people are so used to, the assume she's mixed and start trying to tell me what they know. So i'm in agreement with #2 as well.

i hate when people tell me how to handle my dogs. They're my dogs. I know their personality. I've done their training. i KNOW how to handle them. I didnt beat them into behaving.

Another one is i hate when people tell me my dogs arent friendly enough. I'm sorry. You're a stranger. I expect them to tolerate and be polite but not go crazy stupid excited about meeting strangers. They're not supposed to be overly friendly! I dont have labs or goldens. I have dogs that are meant for a specific purpose not involving hunting and retrieving. The breeds i prefer have what i consider a more important job to do.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Ha ha!!!!! Sorry. Just thought I was the only that has a male with a gender crisis.

And didn't you know that there are only females for all the fluffy, cute breeds? It makes them cuter that way.

What annoys me:

1. "Are you sure he isn't part wolf? Something about his face...."

2. "Oh what is he mix with???"

3. "Hey big Dawg!! Hey, hey hey big dog!!! Does he bite?"

4. You give your dog raw meat?!?!?! He's going to get sick.... become vicious.... turn on me.... become wild...die from poisoning..."

5. Why is he so skinny????? You should feed him more!

6. I hate when people say that he is small!!! lol All I can say is that he is above standard!!! lol And their claims of Real German shepherds being 140 pounds, I just smile and walk away.... shaking my head of course.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always get comments of how HUGE my 6 lb. Pom is.... LOL

I guess with GSDs, people are used to oversized dogs, and with Poms, everyone's used to undersized dogs. :/

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Ha ha!!!!! Sorry. Just thought I was the only that has a male with a gender crisis.

And didn't you know that there are only females for all the fluffy, cute breeds? It makes them cuter that way.

What annoys me:

1. "Are you sure he isn't part wolf? Something about his face...."

2. "Oh what is he mix with???"

3. "Hey big Dawg!! Hey, hey hey big dog!!! Does he bite?"

4. You give your dog raw meat?!?!?! He's going to get sick.... become vicious.... turn on me.... become wild...die from poisoning..."

5. Why is he so skinny????? You should feed him more!

6. I hate when people say that he is small!!! lol All I can say is that he is above standard!!! lol And their claims of Real German shepherds being 140 pounds, I just smile and walk away.... shaking my head of course.

oh i love the wolf mix comment. and the getting in my dogs face and THEN ask if they bite. I mean really?! what a freaking genius!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
1. When they continue getting his gender wrong. Yes, he's a MALE Pomeranian. The first time if they call him a female, it doesn't bother me. But after I say, "His name is Ozzy," and they keep calling him a female, it irritates the bajeeberz out of me.
I find this to be only mildly annoying. Trust me, it's far more annoying when people continue to refer to your infant daughter, who is wearing a pink dress, as "he."

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I find this to be only mildly annoying. Trust me, it's far more annoying when people continue to refer to your infant daughter, who is wearing a pink dress, as "he."
He must be a pretty "boy"!

I get the wolf comment almost daily. Its to the point where I now take it more as a compliment, but if the person insists that he is a wolf, then I get little mad. it gets annoying when people constantly tell me Molly is so small, I am thinking "Well they aren't supposed to be huge!"

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I get the wolf comment almost daily. Its to the point where I now take it more as a compliment, but if the person insists that he is a wolf, then I get little mad. it gets annoying when people constantly tell me Molly is so small, I am thinking "Well they aren't supposed to be huge!"
I never get that with Shasta. People always seem to think she's a Shepherd/Chow mix. Maybe because of all the red fluff on her head.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I gets lots of "what is she mixed with?" because a) her floppy ears and b) she is small compared to all the huge GSD around here.

I know it shouldn't annoy me, but it does grrrrrrr!!!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I get is he purebred? I mean really? What does he look like then, he is a black and tan for goodness sake!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My neighbor, who has met both dogs about two dozen times, CANNOT keep them straight. He confuses one for the other constantly. The two dogs look completely different. Rosa is half Niko's size and is a GSD mixed with Border Collie.

I wouldn't say it irritates me, exactly, but I can't figure out why he can't remember.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah I always get that gender question too. Also I get that she is too skinny. I know that she is not, so I just let them think what they want to think.

·
5,627 Posts
People always call Raven a he. To the point that they think I am saying her name is Raymond. She wears a black collar so I can't blame them I guess.

I also get the comments on her being so skinny. She's 80lbs! She isn't skinny, your dog's just fat!

·
Registered
145 Posts
What kind of dog is he... ? My reply a GS... A GS looking puzzle... I've never seen one that looks like that... He's a sable... I never heard of a sable GS. He must be mixed...!

·
Registered
594 Posts
With my shepherds I hear "what's wrong with her hips" (Nothing, she is supposed to have some angulation), and "you know she'll have bad hips before long" (well, not all GSD's have hip dysplasia) and "she's too skinny" (no, she's 87 pounds of lean muscle -- she's just not an overweight golden or lab) and other comments.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I hate when people ask me if they can pet her, I say yes, and then they offer their hand and pull it away before Zoe can even smell them...it makes her bark, lol and then they think she's mean.

I also hate this one kid in particular at my kids school who runs up to Zoe, pets her nicely, and then sticks his face right in hers...it makes her yip at him near his face and then he says while laughing look Dad she almost bit me:( I have boycotted this kid recently,lol

People always call Zoe a male but I could really care less- though I am always told she will turn on me and become aggressive because she's a shepherd...very annoying.

My last gripe has to be when people see us out off leash, come toward us, but then just stop and talk about us 10 ft. away pointing while I have her in a down stay. She 10 months so after a minute or two her down stay crumbles because she wants to go back to playing stick and their just standing there pointing at us. Either come say hi or keep it moving which is now my favorite saying:D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have to agree with #1 for sure! I always ask people BEFORE I assume their dogs gender unless it's obvious.

Also, when someone asks what kind of breed of dog I have, and when I say GSD, they give me a look like, your dog is going to turn on you...you better watch out, or sometimes they will even say it. What's with everybody thinking GSD's will turn on their masters unprovoked?! I get that alot! Bad reputation I guess!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I hate when people ask me if they can pet her, I say yes, and then they offer their hand and pull it away before Zoe can even smell them...it makes her bark, lol and then they think she's mean.
I had this happen too, also VERY Annoying! My neighbor asked if she could pet Arlo, I said yes, because he is overly friendly. Well, she CREEPS up to him and leans forward while she's going about .3452 miles per hour towards him. Then she put her hand OVER him and pointed her fingers down towards his head...he FREAKED out. So from now on I instruct people how to 'pet' my dogs. But latley I have just been saying no, and keep walking.

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
People are always calling Jax a 'he'...long before they know her name. It's almost like a larger black dog must be a male. The one that really made me mad was the trainer who kept calling her a 'he'. That's one observant professional...think I'll run right out and hire her!

My favorite was "What's his name?" "HER name is Jax" "Ohhh...His name is Jaxson":headbang:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts