German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at my first german shepard puppy today and I noticed A LOT of mixed dogs online being passed off as pure bred dogs, so to the best of what you can see, does this look like a "pure" bred GSD at 8 weeks? any advice on what to look for when picking out a puppy health wise? Parents on site and comes with first set of shots. Would their ears not be standing up already at 8 weeks?

https://imgur.com/a/a35zHuW

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
No, not all pups have their ears up at 8 weeks, but those ears do look pretty strong at the base, so probably will stand with no problems. My older girl's ears didn't stand completely until she was nearly 9 months!

Looks purebred to me. If the parents have papers, ask to see them. Have parents had hips and elbows x-rayed? Pups should also have first set of shots and been dewormed at least once before going home.

A good pup should be confident and curious, not hiding in the back corner of the kennel. Eyes should be bright, coats shiny and soft, not coarse and brittle. Pot-bellies may indicate a large load of worms and poor care by the breeder.

Couple of easy test you can do: bang on a food bowl to see if a pup has issues with loud noises. Bring a toy, and get the pups to play with it. Drag it along the ground/floor to test prey drive.

Separate a pup from its littermates, place it down some distance away from you, clap your hands and call 'puppy, puppy' and see if it will come. You want a pup that's interested in humans and eager to interact with you.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Look purebred to me. Have you researched this breeder ?
Or this breed?
What I was just thinking. But yes, looks pure bread and no ears go up and down for weeks/months. Roughly month 7 is where you would need to start worrying if not up.

Good luck! When do you get one? Have you researched on getting a male or female?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts