German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
If such a pup were to bite someone, it would most likely have very little to do with how it was raised but how it was bred. It really frightens me to think what would happen to a litter of puppies by a police K9 that is described as "sweet". I really am not sure what the market would be for them or where one would find suitable families.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I know a breeder of Mal X's from KNPV lines and all he will breed for is super social dogs. But they have extreme drive and are not good pets or for non-working homes. There are also very good police dogs who are social and good with children, so they are not all super aggressive dogs that can't be trusted. The police departments should be the one's breeding the dogs for their own use. But that gets into budget issues, expertise in breeding, whelping, raising pups, evaluating and and imprinting. One argument is that the trend to breed highly social, less aggressive dogs will come back to a sense of regret due to a loss of certain traits like mistrust or strong, confident defensive aggression. The gene pool for police dogs within the GSD breed is shrinking IMO while the gene pool for high level sport dogs is increasing. There are some dogs that can excel at both but they are not that common. That is why the Dutch KNPV program tends to produce very good police dogs, as the sport is aimed for that goal, but even KNPV is becoming watered down and a different type of dog from the old style dogs is being selected for. Probably the majority of police and military agencies don't want highly aggressive dogs.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts