German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have admired some splendid police dogs and I do have a GSD bitch. I wonder if working police dogs are ever used for breeding? To working lines females of course.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The short answer is yes. Tom z ps is a famous example. Another was a more recent post looking for insight on her pedigree. Dogs sire is dyson benax, a police dog.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
Most departments own the dogs and do not bother with registration papers or hip/elbow ratings....occassionally an officer owns the dog and will use it for breeding.....papers not being a factor because "it's a police dog" and everyone wants his pups!

I have seen several scenerios - officer owned dogs with all paperwork and credentials used for breeding, dogs with no papers and no clue of pedigree breeding any female the officer can ...and making patrol dogs out of a few of the pups, and dogs owned by a local town who the officer will breed quietly - again, no papers....

Lee

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
There are the retired K9s that get sold off as "surplus" property sometimes, especially in the South. I'm sure most of them get bred by whoever gets a hold of them.

The last retired K9 I know of that was pulled out of a high-kill shelter (NOLA) had horrible hips -- he needed $3k of surgery to be able to walk as a senior. I have little doubt that whoever bought him from the department and then dumped him had recouped their "investment" and advertised pups as sired by a K9.

I've heard of rumored litters where an officer apparently bred his department-owned K9 without his department's permission -- personally pocketing the stud fee. I can't say whether those rumors are true, but I'm 100% sure that our local K9 commander would want to know about this if any of his guys did it --he would *not* be a happy camper.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Not sure if it is still happening, Carmspack may know, but we have an RCMP kennel in this area and they used to sell the pups that didn't make the cut. It created a whole lot of "Police K9" breedings. Still a few people that are cashing in on the whole "parents from working K9 lines".

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder what Slamdunk will say about this.

A police K9 that I admire has his own facebook page. He answers people's comments.
Here is Inga's message to him.
(Now, this is a joke. Inga is never going to have puppies). Besides, hes a Mal.

To Odin Coos County Sheriff's K9
December 28 at 10:56am ·

Dear Odin, I am a girl dog. Could we arrange a meeting? You would like my special perfume.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I wonder if breeding a male police K9 puts their mind on other things. Like a stallion, can they go 'mare crazy'?

This is my stallion.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
I wonder if breeding a male police K9 puts their mind on other things. Like a stallion, can they go 'mare crazy'?

This is my stallion.
Stallions and stud dogs can be trained to know the difference between breeding and work. My horse breeder's stallion had a certain halter for breeding and his regular gear for riding. A good rider can handle that. In the past we had an old neighbor who was a cowboy all his life and they worked with stallions. He told me, "they just didn't have time to think of mares". I know that dogs can do both as well. When I bred my Whippet male, I had to keep him leashed because there are squirrels in our yard all the time....

·
Registered
82 Posts
My military working dogs could not breed under any circumstance. I bred my civilian police K-9 "Kanto Vom Wolfsgehege" on a few occasions to my bitch at the time and also did a few outside breedings as well. However he was my personal dog leased to the city I worked at.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My stallion has never been bred. He does live in a pasture with a mini stallion. So he lives in a 'bachelor herd', the natural life of wild stallions that could not win mares by fighting. I always ride alone so do not have to worry about him meeting mares and becoming distracted, which he will do. If he meets a mare and starts getting mare crazy I circle him closely until he pays attention to me and not the mares.

Do police K9s get distracted while tracking if they come across the scent of a female dog?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Though it is uncommon in America, some police K9 dogs are bred, especially if the dog handler has access to registration papers and department policies don’t forbid. In Czech/Slovak Republics and Scandinavian countries this is not uncommon.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
My stallion has never been bred. He does live in a pasture with a mini stallion. So he lives in a 'bachelor herd', the natural life of wild stallions that could not win mares by fighting. I always ride alone so do not have to worry about him meeting mares and becoming distracted, which he will do. If he meets a mare and starts getting mare crazy I circle him closely until he pays attention to me and not the mares.

Do police K9s get distracted while tracking if they come across the scent of a female dog?
First, Stallions rarely have the level of training that a certified LE dog has to the task. Also, with the scent of female dog, a tracking dog has what we call in the training world,” competing motivations” . Part of tracker training is the introduction of distractions and teaching the dog to ignore/disregard them in staying on the track to its completion. So though they have competing motivations, the training of the dog should enable most LE dogs to continue with task. Now an untrained dog if tracking, and runs across the same scent, the possibilities of them abandoning the original track for the” sexier” track is quite possible!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Though it is uncommon in America, some police K9 dogs are bred, especially if the dog handler has access to registration papers and department policies don’t forbid. In Czech/Slovak Republics and Scandinavian countries this is not uncommon.
I was under the impression from going through Buds pedigree that working was acceptable in place of titles for the SV? Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So Cliffson, you have to really proof the LE tracking dog, right?

Stallions also have to have a high level of training when you ride them because they can get you hurt of killed. Although any horse can do the same. My veterinarian friend always rode Arabian stallions. They were not even allowed to LOOK at mares due to the possible escalation of drives. Its like dogs chasing cats or crittering. You want to squelch the behavior before the chase begins, when they are just looking at the cat.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really like the looks of K9 Officer Dak, also of the Coos County Sheriffs Dept. What a handsome fellow. A crook would not want to meet his business end. Many give up immediately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dads k9 partner, Chief, unfortunately cannot be bred due to liability reasons. Even though he's a great family dog and super sweet when off duty if we were to breed him and one of those pups isn't raised right and ends up biting someone then they'll be like "Oh his/her sire is a police dog and that's why they sent me to the hospital " all because they had too much dog for them

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The lack of quality police dogs not being properly bred is a big problem IMO. Many have the desired genetics that the breed is losing is a result of not breeding good police dogs and that results in a softening of the breed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts