German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get this a lot from people who have never even had a conversation with me, but have seen me around regularly with the dogs and recognize me from them. Does anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think a lot of people in my neighborhood (outside of my own street) would find it easier to come up with my dog's name vs. mine. We are out and about a lot! And, I tend to meet a lot of people only because they want to meet my dog. That is one of the things that I love about having a dog!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Everyone in my area/county recognizes me by Koda. The police in particular see her and instantly know it's me. I have also had random people who I've never seen message me on facebook saying they have seen me around a lot, and knew it was me because of the dog in my cover photo lol.
Sometimes it's kind of awkward, but as LifeofRiley pointed out it is a great way to connect with people and the community! :)
I'm sure that once Ash is ok to be out and about people will recognize me for him.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Yep, lots. :)

Both in our neighborhood and via the various dog-related activities we do.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Yes!

I was recently at the grocery store & man in line with me said he sees my all the time walking down his road. He has seen me walking my boy since he was a pup & has watched him grow:wub:

I am always out & about with Rusty...oh yeah, your the women with the GSD:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am very active on several dog groups in my country and a lot of people recognize my dog on the street. i get messages on fb all the time saying i saw you today walking your dog and recognized him. lol but he is very noticeable as working lines are very rare with the public here only k9's and hotel security are working line.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I'm the "Crazy dog lady" in our neighbourhood. We live in a pretty rural area with lots of livestock. Everyone around here has dogs but I'm the only one that actually takes mine for walks. Most of the people in the neighbourhood have one or two very small inside dogs and then 2-4 outside yard dogs. The outside dogs are frequently allowed to just roam the neighbourhood.

It really annoys me - but on the other hand I am grateful they are all nice friendly dogs that don't cause problems.

Because I keep my big dogs in the house, regularly walk them and regularly load them up and take them somewhere - I'm known as "That weird lady with those dogs." a title I wear proudly!~

Beth & Crew

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think when you have a go everywhere dog people see you and
your well behaved/trained dog. when you're out and about without
the dog they recognize you. when i'm out without the dog strangers
occasionally say "hey, where's the dog", "i see you in the bank
with your dog", "i see you walking your dog", etc. i also recognize
strangers because of their dogs.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
When you own a 170lb Saint Bernard and your yard borders main street, many people know us because of Dolly. Ozzy get attention from people, but Dolly steals the show. We took them to the lake yesterday and Dolly drew a crowd, there were other dogs there, they were allowed space LOL. At one people we had a crowd standing around because it was the first time Dolly was at the lake, they wanted to see her go in - so bizarre. Poor Ozzy bear, he's like a duck in the water, showing off his best tricks and people just cared about Dolly!
However, due to the fact we are super recognizable because of the dogs, we're careful to go out of our way to be good citizens and make sure the dogs are too.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yep - so many people know me because of Berlin, lol. Pet store people who dont know my name, but know his! People we regularly encounter on our walks as well. Agree with Lifeof Riley, I have met/talked to so many new people, just cause of the furry guy walking next to me. He attracts a lot of attention, and everyone always wants to say hello to him. Plus, he goes EVERYWHERE with me, so I'm that girl with the fluffy GSD.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I belong to several hunting clubs that I joined when I purchased my Lacy. EVERYONE knows my dog. Few know my name. It's always, "That crazy lady that owns Lonestar."

AND - when we go to functions with him and I introduce myself, they always ask "Who's your dog?" When I say 'Lonestar' they say "OHHH YEAAA!!!!"

What does that say about me????? LOL!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hehe Lilie!

Answer is yes here, as well. I wouldn't have met half the people I know in my neighborhood if I weren't out and about with the dogs all the time...

The kids call me that lady who has "Jack-Jack."

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I'm just glad nobody knows me for my cat. Now he's neutered and a big lazy Tom in the house, but he got out before he was neutered during the season of love, gone three days, I found him fornicating on the library steps. I let him finish his date and took him home - didn't even wait for the low-cost clinic to have another appointment, paid full price the next day.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
There's not many shepherds around this area.... and the ones that do own them, have byb very unstable and aggressive dogs.... they are NEVER out in public. When they do bring them out, it usually leads to a very bad name for our breed. Or you have those rare sport homes, and honestly I don't think they bother with bringing them around our ignorant public... I don't blame them in a way. Most of their socialization is done at the clubs, their events, and at our state parks. Our area is mostly populated with small dogs.

So yes... being that I'm one in a few that brings my shepherds out AND they are well behaved... I'm well known here by just my dogs. When you see someone out walking 3 shepherds often, it's hard to forget I guess. :rolleyes:

Everyone in the stores know me, and so does everyone in our neighborhood. "Ohh you're the shepherd lady right?" lol. I don't mind it.:)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yes, although more people knew my Golden than my GSD because my Golden was around for 10 years and I used to walk around the neighborhood with her a lot with my friends when I was younger.
However I think most of my neighbors thought my GSD Bianca was mean/aggressive for some reason, even though when I walked her we often stopped to let people pet her (usually at the park or otherwise further away than my immediate neighbors though). She really loved people! I think it was because she would bark at people who came too near the house... Also she didn't like my next door neighbors on the right side, I think because their walkways to their house are so close to our house that she thought they were trespassing...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts