German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to have a gsd that would dive in and swallow as many lumps of pee and poop as he could before i got a hold of him

when i got a hold of him i had to use my hand to pick out the litter and poop that got stuck on the top of his mouth i had to peel it off w my nails as i did not want him swalloing it, this only happend a couple of times usually he had no access to the litter box

is this common with gsd or just an individual thing? I never really heard others talking about their dogs doing this ?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Mine will find it in our yard, left by the neighborhood cats. Its a race to see who can find it first. :(

·
Registered
818 Posts
We keep the litterbox where the dogs can't get to it because they will definitely try to indulge themselves on the "kitty buffet" when given the chance. :sick:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
At my dad's house, cats like to use his backyard as their bathroom because there's no dogs. When I stayed over there for a while, Ozzy thought it was an all-you-could-eat buffet in the yard. :sick:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if the litter is clean would your dogs still eat it? we use that natural biodegradable flusghable litter i am not sure what its made out of some kind of grain or corn

maybe the smell of cat urine and cat poop will make the dogs want to lick up the litter :sick::sick::sick: even with no goodies in it?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yup! its very common....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tippsy goes in the litter box after cat poop, so we keep the litter box on the other side of a baby gate. My other 2 don't mind the cat box.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have never had a dog that didn't try to "feast" from the catbox, hence ours is in a room that is off limits to the dogs. Ugh, so gross:sick:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
It's not a gsd thing, it's a DOG thing. Cat food is mostly protein since they are strictly carnivores. That makes their poop very appealing to dogs.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ughhh - yeah - mine will try and go for the "Kitty (almond) Roca" *GROSS*

I got a Booda Dome and that seems to really keep them out. It definitely keeps Xander out - he's too big to get in there before I notice but my tiny whippet can try to finagle her way in there. She's come out with litter on the tip of her nose at least once. After that I just started using a baby gate at the door. That works :)

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
Cat poop is delicious! Don't you know that? :poke:

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Sigh... cat poop, rabbit poop, deer poop... All part of nature's buffet laid out especially for our dogs. About the only kind of poop my dogs won't try to taste is bird poop.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think a dog eating kitty litter is breed
specific. like anything else you have to train
them not to do it or keep the litter out of reach.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
totally a dog thing. our cat box is blocked by a baby gate. Shasta cant jump to save her life and Riley knows his life hangs in the balance if he jumps the gate lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts