German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that's pretty much the question. I was just curious whether male GSDs tend to have thicker/longer or plusher coats than females? I'm especially thinking of long-coated GSDs as maybe it would be more noticeable with them. I've been looking at photos of long-coated Shepherds and it seemed like the males I saw had longer or thicker fur, but it could have been just the specific dogs I happened to look at...

I was thinking about that because I know in some other breeds (actually dogs and cats, come to think of it) the males tend to have longer or thicker coats. Collies are one breed that comes to mind... So I was wondering if it was true in German Shepherds as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey there,

I've had several coaties in the past 20+ years, but mostly boys. They all had huge and dense gogeous coats. Let's see how Ms Molly (currently 10 wks old) develops.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chicagocanine.... but it could have been just the specific dogs I happened to look at...

My 10 yo female is has a "regular" stock coat. But I have NEVER seen another GSD or either sex that has a thicker coat. It is all I can do to find skin!

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I think it is the line they are from and the environmental temp. But males seem to have the neck ruff that appears to give a thicker coat appearance. Though I don't have any males. Maybe a breeder would weigh in and show sib pics and the differences they may or may not have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts