German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought prong few months back and been using at the club.
but i saw lots of members are using fursaver as well.
some putting both but some using only either prong or fursaver

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
For SchH (I guess you're talking if it) you compete with a fursaver. The prong is useful, but the dog, at the end, has to learn how to work on a fursaver in the dead ring. That's why many handlers let them put on their dogs even if they are not using it.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
It is also helpfull to attach the leash to the prong AND the Fursaver at the same time. When the prong comes apart at the EXACT "wrong" moment, the dog will still be attached to the leash by the fursaver.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
As LicanAntai said, you will need one to trial. You don't need one right away, but it is handy to have on hand. When training, there are times you want the control of the prong, and there are exercises where you don't want your dog to accidently get a correction if she hits the end of the leash. So having both on lets you choose which collar to use.

All the BH leash excersices are on the fur saver dead ring with a loose leash (no other collar allowed).

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD When the prong comes apart at the EXACT "wrong" moment, the dog will still be attached to the leash by the fursaver.
I'm sorry, but this cracks me up. Would the exact wrong moment be the only moment I've ever had a prong come apart - when Morgan reached maximum frustration with an annoying Jack Russell?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Eventually you will probably need a prong, fur saver, agitation collar or harness and maybe an e-collar. It is very common to have multiple collars on a dog at once when training so you can switch back and forth. When working obedience I have a prong, an e-collar and a fur saver on my male. `My female I just use a prong and fur saver. Depends on what you're working on and the age/level of the dog. How old is your dog?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine is 11months old now....
what is the benefit of fur saver....i don't think its like prong to correct..isn't it

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The benefit of a fur saver is that it's stronger than most flat collars, but still has a little more "bite" but not as much as a prong. A lot of the uses I would talk about would not make sense to you yet without massive explanation. With your dog being this young and you and he being so new to SchH you are not going to do much correcting for quite a while with a prong. At 11 months and beginning in training this way the only thing you should use a prong for is to let him self correct when walking him. Other than that you are just working on building and bringing out all of the drive he has. I have read your other posts and I know you feel a bit lost and kind of frustrated trying to get started. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: SunCzarina
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD When the prong comes apart at the EXACT "wrong" moment, the dog will still be attached to the leash by the fursaver.
I'm sorry, but this cracks me up. Would the exact wrong moment be the only moment I've ever had a prong come apart - when Morgan reached maximum frustration with an annoying Jack Russell?
Yep, that would be one of those exact WRONG moments.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i found like short link fursavers and long links like 3.0mm, 3.5mm and 4.0mm.
don't know which one to buy....
i measure and found that my doggie need 21inch.
the collar she is using now is 19inch and when i add 2more inch then it seems i can slip in from her head.

any suggestions would really appreciate.
thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts