German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I usually just lurk on the forum and read the great advice, but I'm anticipating getting a GSD puppy this fall and have a few questions. My last GSD was a rescue that they estimated was about 3 years old when I got him, and he was with me for 12 years. He passed away 2 years ago at 15. Since I haven't had "puppy experience" with any breed for more years than I care to think about, I'm turning to you for some sage wisdom from the "been there, done that" crowd. :laugh2: I'm home full-time now, so I'll be able to spend all day with my puppy and I'm really looking forward to it. My question is whether a crate is sufficient for the times that I can't pay attention (i.e in the shower, on the phone, etc), or should I have both a crate and an exercise pen? I hope this isn't a silly question and I apologize if it's been asked before and I missed it. Advice I've read online has been mixed on the subject, with some saying that both is absolutely necessary and others saying that just the crate is necessary. My rescue was crate trained and loved his crate, so I know that much is a necessity. :smile2: Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the advanced search function (finally) and found that Fiona had asked a similar question, so the answers to her post helped with my question too. Sorry I didn't realize that sooner. I don't want anyone to have to repeat the same advice. Thanks!

Note to self: Next time use the search function first! lol

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I used both, a xpen when I was nearby and a crate when I had to leave him for a longer period.

Reactions: DutchKarin

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I agree. Crate is first and safest if you are not there. Ex-pen makes your life so much easier at the puppy stage but I would not leave a dog unattended one. Ex-pen is for your sanity, crate for safety.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used the advanced search function (finally) and found that Fiona had asked a similar question, so the answers to her post helped with my question too. Sorry I didn't realize that sooner. I don't want anyone to have to repeat the same advice. Thanks!

Note to self: Next time use the search function first! lol
Glad you found my thread and congratulations on your future new pup! I got to visit our pup on Saturday and just cannot wait- 5 weeks to go!
I decided to go with both a ex-pen and a crate. I think the ex-pen will be helpful when I am busy making dinner, doing housework, etc and just cannot keep a good eye on my pup. I can set it up in a central location on the tile between my kitchen and family room. But when I leave for work (one day a week) or have to run an errand, I will crate her. We have an open-concept floor plan and baby gates just don't really work anywhere or I may have gone that route instead of the pen.
We'll see how it all works in a few weeks! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you found my thread and congratulations on your future new pup! I got to visit our pup on Saturday and just cannot wait- 5 weeks to go!
I decided to go with both a ex-pen and a crate. I think the ex-pen will be helpful when I am busy making dinner, doing housework, etc and just cannot keep a good eye on my pup. I can set it up in a central location on the tile between my kitchen and family room. But when I leave for work (one day a week) or have to run an errand, I will crate her. We have an open-concept floor plan and baby gates just don't really work anywhere or I may have gone that route instead of the pen.
We'll see how it all works in a few weeks!
Fiona, I'm so happy for you. I know the anticipation is wonderful and frustrating at the same time! I can't wait to see photos of your new pup. Our situation sounds so similar and I'll be doing both the ex-pen and crate too. Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear how things are going with you and your new puppy!

·
Banned
850 Posts
100% get an ex-pen. A crate is for sleeping/resting. When I had my first dog I remember not having an ex pen and it made life so much more difficult. Consider getting a couple extra panels for the ex pen to make it bigger as the pup grows. When I fostered a pup they gave me an ex-pen to borrow and it was so much easier, I just threw a bunch of toys, cardboard boxes, empty water bottles in there and he had the time of his life. It's a good way to give yourself a time out and not locking your pup in a crate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts