German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you guys know I recently got my liver, havent had him for very long. (this dog was a stray and never attached to anyone) but him living with me now, in such a short period of time, i think he is bonding with me pretty darn well. He fallows me everywhere, listens quiet well.
So what happened was I let him at a dog park two days ago (VERY small) only a FEW dogs. I felt i had the trust to take the chance, and he checked in with me every minute almost! And when i called he would come back right away! Dogs came and went and he did perfect.
I told the lady i got him from and she said she was mad and dissapointed in me, and that i am pushing him to hard to fast. It offended me a little because i had faith in my dog, and i trusted him. I knew it was going to be okay. And the fact that i know how to read my dog and others dogs pretty well, and know when to leave.
And the fact that she never let him out or anything to even TRY to bond with him, i dont understand how she can say i made a stupid dissision when she didnt even try to understand or work with this dog.. I have put one on one time with him, and i know it hasnt been long, but i have put more one on one time in him then any one has in his entire life.
The former 'owners' never had taken him on a walk. Barely came out of the kennel. They never even tryed to let him reach his potential. And now that i am, i get yelled at? I dont understand what i did wrong to her.
It just really upsets me because this dog is wonderful, and all theu did was treat him like crap and say he had no potential and that he was a bad dog, but now that i have him and i want to work with him im the bad guy.. Do you think i am wrong for trusting him in this one situation?

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
You may have been wrong in trusting him to come right back but not for the reasons she stated and there was no reason to be "mad and disappointed" in you. But because you really have to proof the Come. There are so many things that could catch his attention and off he goes. In the future, I would just be choosy about what I told the person. ;)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't know the circumstances but if the dog is legally yours then you don't have to even waste time feeling offended or owe the previous owner any explanations. When I sell a dog or get a foster dog adopted I'm happy to receive updates or help if the new owners have questions but I don't give unsolicited advice or criticize their treatment of the dog. If I had problems with them then I would not have sold or placed the dog with them in the first place.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i just feel trust in the dog and i had a leap of faith i guess. I feel like i treat my dog better than she treats hers somtimes. I think you need to give a dog a little trust to get it back. (in MY experience) the more you contain and shelter a dog, the more it is going to want to fight to get away. But if you trust him and let him have his fun and a little fredom, they always seem to want to come back to me. I got him micro chiped just in case, and i will not be letting him off at any big doggie parks! Its just that this one was so small i felt comfortable :)
I already love this boy, and i hope he is bonding to me as well!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
This is the people that used to yell at him and throw things at him all the time?

I'd cut the ties and not give any more updates at all. Looks like they are going to treat you the way they were treating their dog. Who are they to be disappointed in you?

You can choose to be offended or you can choose to not be offended. Why would their opinion matter?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good point. I guess i am just being to sensitive of the topic.
At one point i looked up to her. Before i found out all of this.
But now i feel as if i am better than her, and treat my dogs better.
It is best to just brush it off.
He is my boy and i can do what i want with him now anyway :)

·
Registered
31,708 Posts
This is the people that used to yell at him and throw things at him all the time?
Wait..WHAT???? These people were throwing things at him?

I would absolutely cut ties with them immediately.

·
Registered
482 Posts
#1 Your dog your decision
#2 What others think of you is none of your business (This is what my therapist tells me everytime I tell them I am concerned about what someone thinks or says to me)
# 3 Smile you don't own all the problems in the world especially not this wicked persons :D

You did what you feel comfortable with and you have to answer to no one but yourself on why you chose to do so and felt that it was appropriate. Are you happy with the decision? Did the experience enlighten your life (and the dogs?)

It sounds as though you are trying to do the right thing by the dog to heck with the prior owner who did not want to engage their dog you do so you did! Kudo's to you :toasting:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's YOUR dog. Enjoy him :D

It's THEIR opinion. Ignore it :D

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, you make me feel WAY better about it!
I did it again today (; and he did PERFECT again. This time it was a little bigger dog park.
I love that h checks in every minute! With out me saying a word!! Even my lab mix doesnt do this! And he is WELL trained!
Im so proud of my boy.
Thank you guys! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts